2nd Trimester

Flu Shot?

The nurse had mentioned at my last appointment that the Dr. highly recommends all her patients, especially those pregnant, to have a flu shot.

I've never had a flu shot and never had the flu, do I need to have the shot?

What are some side effects from having the shot? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Flu Shot?

• I just got the flu shot for the first time last week. I've never had the shot before, and I don't think I've ever had the flu. But the doctor highly recommended it, so I did it. I had no side effects. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yah they always recommend the flu shot for pregnant women.  I got it with my first and felt like I got the flu after the shot.  I don't think I'll get it this time around, but I haven't fully decided.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't get it with my son and won't do it this time either. If I only ever heard great things about the flu shot, then I might be more inclined but it's always such mixed reactions that I just don't think the benefit outweighs the negative.
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Dr doesn't push it, I don't ge it.  I used to get the flu vaccine years ago, but it wasn't worth it to me. 

I think my dr mentioned it to me once last pregnancy and I said I wasn't interested and he was fine and just told me to be sure to take my vitamins. 

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I believe it's recommended because our immune systems are compromised.  My doctor recommended it, but suggested the preservative free version.  He said that getting the flu when you're pregnant can be fatal for the baby.  I typically don't get the flu shot, but I think I'm going to this time.  
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'd never gotten it previously, but I did get the preservative free one today.

I ~totally~ had mixed emotions about it, and still do, but my dr rec'd it and I trust my dr.

• I got it two years ago and had no side effects other than a sore injection site for about 24 hours. I skipped it last year and ended up on the couch with the flu for 5 days feeling as though I wished I were dead. Definitely getting it this year. However; keep in mind I am a teacher and, therefore, already at an increased risk of getting flu due to being around the kids daily.
  • Side effects of the flu shot: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm  (Typically, sore arm and occasionally people get a low-grade fever.  Unless you're allergic to eggs, in which case you probably shouldn't get the flu shot.)

Potential side effects of the flu while pregnant: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm  Increased risk of severe complications for both you and your baby. 

• I have pretty much always gotten it b/c my doctor recommends it since I have asthma and work in a school setting where germy kids are everyplace. Doctor reccomended it even more now that I am pregnant. I just got the preservative free one yesterday. Other than a sore arm at the injection spot for a day or 2, I have never had any other type of reaction or side effect, and have not gotten the flu.
    imageBabyName Ticker
  • There are no side effects to the shot (unless you have an egg allergy). It is a dead virus. The flu MIST is a live/weakened virus and you can get a low grade illness from it, but they do not give the mist to people with a compromised immune system (which includes pregnant women). People that say they got sick after the flu shot just had some other random illness...it is impossible to get sick from a dead virus.

I get the flu shot every Yeats, including when I was pregnant with DS and am getting I next week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The flu shot is especially important if you are due during flu season, october-march, because this way your baby is also born with the antibodies.  I'm due in Feb and my doctor said it's a must.
  • I got the flu and H1N1 shots with my first and I'll get the combined one with this pregnancy.  I think the known benefits of getting a flu shot outweigh the very small risks.  Especially now that we are well aware of the dangers of H1N1 during pregnancy.  You can get a thimerosal free vaccine if you're concerned about mercury.  It's inactivated so the only symptom is a sore arm from the injection.

Even if you don't typically get the flu, your immune system isn't as good during pregnancy, meaning your chances of getting sick are higher and it will take you longer to get better.  Plus it's a lot harder to treat your symptoms since some medications are off limits.  The antibodies also pass on to your baby which is good since they can't get the flu shot right away.  A new study has shown that infants 0-6 months were almost 50% less likely to be hospitalized with the flu if their mom received the vaccine during pregnancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

•  I've heard that it's recommended but my Dr. didn't push it. I've never had one before and don't plane on getting one during the pregnancy.

• imagekatcarls:

Even if you don't typically get the flu, your immune system isn't as good during pregnancy, meaning your chances of getting sick are higher and it will take you longer to get better.  Plus it's a lot harder to treat your symptoms since some medications are off limits.  The antibodies also pass on to your baby which is good since they can't get the flu shot right away.  A new study has shown that infants 0-6 months were almost 50% less likely to be hospitalized with the flu if their mom received the vaccine during pregnancy.

All the reasons I decided to get it. I've also never had the flu and never had a flu shot. I received the shot with no complications. My OB also recommended that my husband get his as well. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I get the flu shot every year because I am a teacher and the school nurse gives it out for free to all the staff.  Never had the flu and I've never had a bad reaction or side effect to the shot.  Most doctors and midwives highly recommend pregnant women to get the flu shot. 
  • Yes, get your flu shot.  My only side effect was a sore arm for a couple of days.  Totally worth it.
  • imageskibunny59:
    I get the flu shot every year because I am a teacher and the school nurse gives it out for free to all the staff.  Never had the flu and I've never had a bad reaction or side effect to the shot.  Most doctors and midwives highly recommend pregnant women to get the flu shot. 

ditto.

• Got mine today! My arm is sore and I'm a little fatigued (but that might be because it's Friday of a rough work week) 

I've had the shot for the last two years, and I definitely recommend it! I work with kids and I always catch whatever they have just by looking at them! Since getting the shot the last two years, I have not had the flu, only a head cold last winter that I got over a lot quicker than I usually do.

• Also some people that get sick after getting the shot may have already been sick but hadn't gotten symptoms yet... I got my shot at my OB's office and they took my temperature first...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"