Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Meh. It was bound to happen right.

So I am officially making my way over. I have a question about traveling....my husband and I want to head back east to visit his family, my brother and my best friend. His family lives in Wisconsin, my brother lives in Virginia and my best friend lives in Illinois. Here's the thing...we want to drive. It would be way to costly to fly to each place so we figured driving was our better option. So seriously how crazy are we for wanting to drive? We live in California btw. I have never driven in snow and my husband has very little experiance. The reason we are heading out during the winter time is financially it is better for us. My husband works in construction so winter time is usually the slowest and the most time he is off of work. Also his grandma is 92 and isnt in the best condition so we wanted her to meet her great grand daughter at least once should anything happen to her. And since Leah will be turning 1 two days after Christmas we figured it would be nice for that side of the family to get to celebrate with us, since they live so much farther away. It's okay you can tell me Im crazy, my MIL basically told us that if we drove she would disown us.
Sorry for the crappy layout. I bump from my phone. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Meh. It was bound to happen right.

• Options
    I live in Alaska and we do a ton of car trips in the winter.  It is mainly a factor of being prepaired and expecting it to take you longer to get somewhere.  Make sure you have winter gear in the car, have a route planned, leave a copy of it with someone and call to let someone know when you get on and off the road.  Give youreself extra driving time.  It really isn't that hard.  Have a great trip!
  • Options

I don't necessarily think you're crazy, but how long of a trip are we talking here?

Driving from California to Wisconsin is likely to take about 2 days depending on where in each state you're starting/ending.  and From Wisconsin to Illinois is another day to day and a half, then Virginia is another 1/2 to whole day.  So you're talking at least 4 days of just drive time to GET to all those places (so 4 days of just drive time home) that's 8 days all together.

And I assume you're going to want to spend some time in each location...so you're probably looking at a 2 week trip when all is said and done.

Driving in snow really isn't that big of a deal as long as you're careful and pay very close attention.  But that makes me think of something else.  Bad weather could make your trip take you even longer...think accidents, closed roads, having to go slow/careful because of snow, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagecruelsound:
    I live in Minnesota and even I don't plan car trips in the winter. Good luck!
    Yeah I hear you. Just sucks cause we dont know when would be able to head out that way other than in the Winter. This is why i dont like living in southern California...i have no idea about snow. Maybe we should hold off on it.
    Sorry for the crappy layout. I bump from my phone. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    How many hours are you planning on driving each day? Would I do it? Probably not. We had to make a 7 hr trip to visit my ailing grandfather when LO was 4 mos and she made it, but it wasn't fun. Since then, we've done quite a few 4 hr treks. If you're not comfortable with driving in snow, that may be a difficult drive for you through the midwest. You could always request that family members pay for part of a plane ticket instead of Christmas gifts/birthday gifts for you, DH and LO. It's kind of tacky, but it might make the trip more feasible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJessys_Girl:

I don't necessarily think you're crazy, but how long of a trip are we talking here?

Driving from California to Wisconsin is likely to take about 2 days depending on where in each state you're starting/ending.  and From Wisconsin to Illinois is another day to day and a half, then Virginia is another 1/2 to whole day.  So you're talking at least 4 days of just drive time to GET to all those places (so 4 days of just drive time home) that's 8 days all together.

And I assume you're going to want to spend some time in each location...so you're probably looking at a 2 week trip when all is said and done.

Driving in snow really isn't that big of a deal as long as you're careful and pay very close attention.  But that makes me think of something else.  Bad weather could make your trip take you even longer...think accidents, closed roads, having to go slow/careful because of snow, etc.

We are planning two to three weeks so it gives us plenty of time should anything happen. We and hope and pray for a smooth trip, but at the same time i know stuff happens...especially winter time.
  • Options

I don't think doing all of that driving is crazy, but I'm really wondering if the cost of gas and hotels is going to be cheaper than 2 tickets on an airplane.

Also, driving in the winter in Wisconsin (or snowy areas in general) is not a guarantee. You need to be prepared, and you also need to be aware that your plans could change depending on the weather. You could be stuck in a hotel for several days waiting for the roads to clear up, and you need to figure that extra cost into your estimations.

ETA: I also don't buy this whole "as long as your are careful, you can drive in the snow". I think it's irresponsible to take small children in the car when the road conditions are dangerous. And really, snow isn't as much of a problem as is ice.

I AM a careful driver, but I cannot guarantee that other people on the road will be. Especially since you will be on some interstates with heavy semi traffic.

• Options
    imageNominomi:
    I live in Alaska and we do a ton of car trips in the winter.  It is mainly a factor of being prepaired and expecting it to take you longer to get somewhere.  Make sure you have winter gear in the car, have a route planned, leave a copy of it with someone and call to let someone know when you get on and off the road.  Give youreself extra driving time.  It really isn't that hard.  Have a great trip!
    This is exactly what we were thinking. We might even be a little too prepared. But better to be safe than sorry. And can i just say i am totally jealous that you live in Alaska. Ever since i have been little that is the one place i would love to move to. Strange i know. But it looks so beautiful!
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

I don't think doing all of that driving is crazy, but I'm really wondering if the cost of gas and hotels is going to be cheaper than 2 tickets on an airplane.

Also, driving in the winter in Wisconsin (or snowy areas in general) is not a guarantee. You need to be prepared, and you also need to be aware that your plans could change depending on the weather. You could be stuck in a hotel for several days waiting for the roads to clear up, and you need to figure that extra cost into your estimations.

• Options

I wouldn't take the risk.  Light snowfalls can suddenly turn into whiteout conditions (happened multiple times last winter here in Kansas, resulting in some terrible highway accidents); and ice is always possible--and treacherous.  

Also, drivers with little experience of snow tend to misjudge speed, braking, turns, and so forth, simply because they haven't encountered the situation before.

I grew up in the snowy Great Lakes region, and even I wouldn't attempt such a long drive in winter.  Fly, take the train, or stay home!!!  :) 

TTC'd unsuccessfully from 2004-2010 Adopted our beautiful baby girl in December 2010!! Currently matched for second adoption
  • Options

I'm not saying it isn't possible.  There is always a chance that the weather will be perfect, but I would say, driving in snow isn't as easy as "be prepared."  I have lived in the upper midwest for my entire life.  I have watched inexperienced drivers in the winter year in and year out, and it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.  There is a BIG difference driving in winter weather.  You have to slow down your reaction time if something happens, you shouldn't use your cruise control, and interstate travel can be treacherous for weeks after a big storm.  My uncle, who had driven in South Dakota winters for 40+ years of his life, died a week after a huge snowstorm a few years ago, because there was a patch of ice in the middle of the interstate and he lost control of his truck and rolled it on the way to his son's wrestling tournament.  This was 5 days after the snow stopped, but an overpass was dripping melted ice onto the road, and it caught him off guard.

Sorry about the rant, but I take winter driving VERY seriously.

• Options
    Do you have a place where you will be spending the most time? If you do you could fly there then rent a car and drive from that location. The 2 day car trip would deter me from driving. Has your DD made a long trip yet? DD was a nightmare on a 12 hr, I couldn't imagine 2 days!!
  • Options

This. Priceline usually has some pretty good deals for flights combined with a car rental (and sometimes even a better deal if you add in a hotel).   And some rental agency's in nothern climates may even have winter tires on their cars, and IMO they make a HUGE difference when driving in snow (I am from Canada and have driven in the winter for over 20yrs). 

I think the drive is very doable especially if you fly from to Wisconsin and then drive from there.  Just be prepared if there happens to be bad weather one day, to delay your travels that day.....allow flexibilty in your schedule and you will be fine. 

• Options

We drove 1600 miles twice, and honestly it went better than some of our plane trips. We left early in the morning, and stopped every time the tank was around half, took out LO and let him stretch, eat, change, see some scenery, etc. Around 4pm, we would call it a day and stay in a hotel. One person always rode in back with him and we had lots of toys, pacis, sippy cups, etc. He was pretty happy for the whole thing. 

It's definitely do-able. GL! 

IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I wouldn't do it, myself.  I hate driving around town in the snow, much less across states.

I hit white out conditions once during a drive.  Also hit an ice patch & ended up stuck in the median in a snow bank.  Had to be rescued by a cop, and my car was towed out of the snow bank.

I am also a worrier when it comes to driving in snow, ice, heavy rain.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We drive everywhere.  I flip my sh!!!!t trying to fly, and I can't medicate while BF.  DH's parents get mad every time, but my opinion is that if we can make it out to see them, we should be able to figure out how we want to get there on our own.  
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

ETA: I also don't buy this whole "as long as your are careful, you can drive in the snow". I think it's irresponsible to take small children in the car when the road conditions are dangerous. And really, snow isn't as much of a problem as is ice.

I AM a careful driver, but I cannot guarantee that other people on the road will be. Especially since you will be on some interstates with heavy semi traffic.

• Options
    imagerms879:

I wouldn't take the risk.  Light snowfalls can suddenly turn into whiteout conditions (happened multiple times last winter here in Kansas, resulting in some terrible highway accidents); and ice is always possible--and treacherous.  

Also, drivers with little experience of snow tend to misjudge speed, braking, turns, and so forth, simply because they haven't encountered the situation before.

I grew up in the snowy Great Lakes region, and even I wouldn't attempt such a long drive in winter.  Fly, take the train, or stay home!!!  :) 

OHHOLYCRAP another Kansas bumpie! We're a rare species Stick out tongue I totally agree with you on the part where it's not that simple. I live right off of Fort Riley so the drivers around here are a whole mishmash of experienced and non experienced snow drivers (unfortunately the scales are almost always tipped towards inexperienced) and this past winter I almost got slid into twice because some dumbfvck in a big truck with Texas plates or somewhere else notoriously warm weathered would decide they had a truck which meant that they automatically drove awesome in snow, so not the case. I'd say it's doable but definitely have a very solid emergency plan.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"