September 2011 Moms
Options

? for those of you with outside babies

I feel like an idiot asking this b/c "am I in labor" posts are dumb...but I'm sitting at work and don't know what to do.  Since I woke up this morning I've been having what I think are "real" contractions.  They are painful, radiating from my stomach to my back and into my upper thighs, occurring every 8-12 minutes, and I have to stop what I'm working on to focus through them.  My stomach gets a little hard like it does with BH's, but definitely not as hard as it would with BH's. For some reason I thought your stomach wasn't supposed to get hard with real contractions (which is why I'm doubting myself), but I don't know where I heard that from. I also heard that BH's can get more painful as labor approaches, so I don't know if I'm overreacting.  I know everyone says "you'll know when they're real" but I would feel like an idiot if I went home from work because of BH's and not real contractions.  

Any advice is appreciated for all you "experts" who have already been through this! Stick out tongue Thanks ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!

Re: ? for those of you with outside babies

• Options
    Do you have space to drink water and lie down for a little bit. If they are real cntrx, they will keep going. Also, I knew they were real when they got strong enough to bring tears to my eyes, and got closer together all morning.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like real contractions to me.  I never really noticed if my stomach got hard during contractions and/or BH, so I can't help you with that part but the the way you describe the way you are feeling def. sounds like real contractions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have a space to lay down since I'm at work, but I can definitely drink a bunch of water and see if that helps.  Haha good point...they will definitely get worse as the day goes on if they're "real", so I guess I just need to be patient and wait and see!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Options
    p.s.  I forgot to wish you luck! Smile
  • Options
    Thanks!! :)
  • Options
    After my water broke the contractions started instantly.. they were faint barely noticeable cramps that came and went..I wasnt totally sure till they got painful but I progressed fast (4.5hr labor) o they got painful after about an hour.. Your belly does get hard because my nurses would always put their hand on my belly to see when I was having a contraction (when they didnt check the machine) so what you describe sounds real since BH should not have pain.. but once they get really strong youll know for sure.. however sounds like could be early labor.. My water broke with both my children so I dont know early labor ;) good luck!
  • Options
    I never went into real labor (had a scheduled c-section) but I had BH contractions that were kind of like that. Made my stomach hard, lasted for a minute and were 7ish minutes apart. They were just painful BH.  Try drinking a whole bunch of water and putting your feet up if you can. Good Luck!
  • Options

Before my water broke my contractions felt exactly like the BH I had been having for weeks.  The only difference was that they were exactly 4 minutes apart.  They didn't start getting painful until after the doctor broke my water. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my water broke but afterward i had contractions exactly every 5 minutes.

i had cramps a week before that which were 10-15 minutes apart and would stop if i moved. they weren't doing anything.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

I would say if they are consistant and timeable then they are the real deal. If you are afraid of being embarrassed for leaving work because of BH's couldn't you just say you were taking a half day since it is Friday?

Good luck to you and I hope it is really happening!

• Options

Thanks for the advice ladies.  They haven't gone away even though I've had 4 glasses of water and they're consistently 8-10 min apart!  I'm trying to stick it out at work until they get closer or a little more painful. 

I would gladly leave work now, but if I make it through most of the day today, with my maternity leave and vacation days, I won't have to come back to work until after thanksgiving, and I'll still have 1 vacation day left for Christmas.  It would be perfect timing! :)

• Options
    Good luck!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"