Trouble TTC
Options

DNA / Genetic Testing question?

This is horribly embarrassing and dumb, but are they the same things? 

Do they do something more in depth if there's an indication of something?

Some how they allowed us to do our first IVF cycle without being tested although they thought they tested us. After our WTF we had to give blood and wait 3 weeks, which is roughly where we're at now, but just waiting for results. 

This could really throw us for a loop. It also makes me feel like if they discover something we have a moral obligation to tell our siblings, although we've yet to tell anyone but my mom we're going through all of this. Ugh! I hate IF with a passion.  

(Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010

Re: DNA / Genetic Testing question?

• Options

I think they're separate. Depending on what you're talking about. We had genetic screening to see if we were carriers for any diseases, including CF. Because of DH's SA counts, they also tested his DNA to see if there were any problems.

They make sure he's an XY and doesn't have the double X and a couple other fragmentations I think. So those two are separate. But I think people also refer to the genetic testing as DNA testing, which I think is technically incorrect. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Options
    imagepantsarella:

I think they're separate. Depending on what you're talking about. We had genetic screening to see if we were carriers for any diseases, including CF. Because of DH's SA counts, they also tested his DNA to see if there were any problems.

They make sure he's an XY and doesn't have the double X and a couple other fragmentations I think. So those two are separate. But I think people also refer to the genetic testing as DNA testing, which I think is technically incorrect. 

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out what they tested us for. Since I'm dealing with another medical system and language it's a bit difficult. I will ask our doctor at my next appointment. I hope we have a fair amount of testing for the obvious reasons, but here they are very precise as to what they will and won't do... like DS is OK, but DE isn't. 
    (Live in Europe) TTC since 1/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My main job is to run a high-volume gene sequencer right now, and here's how I would interpret the difference between DNA testing and genetic testing:

DNA testing = sequencing your DNA to find out precisely which version of genes you have, and how many copies of them there are.

Genetic testing = searching a blood sample for very specific genes or gene variants.

Usually what they do for IF people is genetic testing, not DNA testing.  DNA testing is usually a LOT more expensive.  If they found out one of you is a carrier of some sort of disease they can test for with PGD/IVF, they might want to do in-depth DNA testing to find out more about the version of the disease you carry.

Hope that helps!

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My sister did tell me that she was a carrier for cystic fibrosis when she found out through genetic testing; but she did that without it being IF related, I think.  So if you want to keep the IF to yourself, you could share any useful info and just say you had genetic testing. 

(My sister and I are not close, BTW--we don't really inform each other of things.  But she still thought it right to let me know about this, which I appreciated.)

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"