Georgia Babies

Smyrna area schools

Hi ladies. Can anyone tell me about the Smyrna area schools? My DD is still a few years away from starting kindergarten but I am trying to get an idea of where most people go and why you decided on that school.

Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Re: Smyrna area schools

• Just to clarify, I am looking on input on Pre-K and Elementary but to the extent that the middle school/high school for that district or private school had an influence on your decision, please share that information as well.

Thanks!

• I've heard good things about Teasley and Nickajack. I would avoid Argyle - it is supposed to be the most overcrowded school in Cobb and I've never heard anything good about it. I was unable to find a decent public PreK program (not even one I would consider applying for), so we are doing private PreK.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We were trying to move to Smyrna but couldn't sell our house so we decided to stay put up in Acworth for the time being- may try again later.  Like the PP said, we were focusing on Teasley and Nickajack district areas.  Also considered Harmony-Leland area in Mableton.  Smyrna is a tricky area for schools.  Even though they are Cobb schools they are not considered the "good" Cobb schools so you have to really go in and check them out for yourself.  We had planned to at least try them for a year or so and if we weren't happy, we were preparing to pay for private and weighing that cost into our budget.  As for Pre-K programs, I didn't even bother researching them, I knew we would stick with our current daycare in Smyrna and pay for private pre-k there.   

• My oldest went to King Springs, and we both loved it.  He then went to Griffin Middle school, which isn't the best, but there are worst.  Now he's at Campbell High.  If were still in the same house (which we will be), Button will be following the same pattern.

As for pre-k, Button will probably be going to the one at his daycare. 

• imageElaine&Matt:

My oldest went to King Springs, and we both loved it.  He then went to Griffin Middle school, which isn't the best, but there are worst.  Now he's at Campbell High.  If were still in the same house (which we will be), Button will be following the same pattern.

As for pre-k, Button will probably be going to the one at his daycare. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about King Springs.  I heard lots of good things from parents here.

• We're slated for Brown Elementary, which doesn't have the best reputation but the parents are getting involved in turning it around so I'm hopeful that it will be better in 4 years.  There's also a Charter School for K-8, so we're considering that as an option.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now Cobb Co is redistricting several schools in the southern part of the county. This will include many schools in the Smyrna area. Like pp mentioned Teasley, nickajack and king springs are the "best" in the area. If I were to choose I would try to send my child to Teasley. It has always been a better school. Nickajsck is good but it's Overcrowded as of right now. watch for the redistricting maps to come out during Oct. This could change some "bad" schools to better schools in the next few years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"