2nd Trimester

Registry essentials?

This is our 1st baby, and I have no idea what to register for!  For those of you who have been through this before, what are some must have items to put on the registry?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Registry essentials?

• The checklists on all of the registry sites are fairly helpful with this.  Aside from the obvious items (crib, crib mattress, etc), I'd say the infant swing was an essential for us.
  • The checklists are really helpful. I'd say the bouncer & play mat were essential. Of course register for a car seat and even a convertible that you can use down the line. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • My daughter was in the NICU for 9 weeks and it really put in perspective what the essentials were.  Basically a place for the baby to sleep, clothes, bottles, and diapers.  There are so many other things that are nice to have but you really don't have to have them.  I would recommend walking the asiles of Babies R us or Buy Buy Baby, Target, etc. and really looking at what will fit in your house and what you can get the most use out of.  For us a play mat was nice to have but it was short lived.  Don't stress too much going into the registry.  You may want to take a friend with you that has a baby but isn't overly opinionated and do a little pre-registry looking together. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Everyone will tell you what their little one prefered.  However, there are some things I didn't mind getting used.  A swing, bouncer, and some other things like that.  So those I kept off the registry and looked on CL.  We put on our car seat/stroller and covertable car seat, etc.  All the big stuff and we got it.  It was so nice to get the big stuff.  But we also put stuff that our friends would buy $30 or less.  Oh and my advice is go with a booster chair that fits in on your kitchen chair they are way better and don't take up much room. Make sure it reclines then you can start putting baby in it pretty early while you guys are eating dinner. But that is just what we liked.
  • imageblessedwithbaby:
    Everyone will tell you what their little one prefered.  However, there are some things I didn't mind getting used.  A swing, bouncer, and some other things like that.  So those I kept off the registry and looked on CL.  We put on our car seat/stroller and covertable car seat, etc.  All the big stuff and we got it.  It was so nice to get the big stuff.  But we also put stuff that our friends would buy $30 or less.  Oh and my advice is go with a booster chair that fits in on your kitchen chair they are way better and don't take up much room. Make sure it reclines then you can start putting baby in it pretty early while you guys are eating dinner. But that is just what we liked.

I couldn't agree more about the high chair that fits on the kitchen chair. I wish we didn't buy a big dumb high chair. It takes up so much space. Fisher Price makes a great one called the SpaceSaver. It can be used without the tray as a booster for toddlers too. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Baby Bargains is a great book to use as a resource.  If you have a sister or friend that's recently had a baby, take them with you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would recommend if you have any friends with young kids, ask them to go to BRU with you and point stuff out.  Other moms are more helpful than store lists.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I couldn't live without with my dd...........

-If you are breastfeeding a boppy, I loved mine. Its great to when the baby gets a little older and sits up but still falls back to have them sit between Smile

-A bouncer seat - great for you to get things done around the house

-A highchair - either a regular one or a space saver 

-A Car Seat - (or travel system if you are going with one of those)

-Extra crib sheets

-Pack and Play - wonderful for when they are nb and you have the bassinett on top, also when you are home and the baby gets older he/she can play in there, also if you go out of town they can use it to sleep in.

-Infant Floor Play Mat - my dd loved this as a nb......and great for tummy time too

-A set of bottles (in case you need to supplement) but please remember the type of bottle that you may want to use, your lo may not like them and you may end up going to the store to try another type of bottle

-A few different types of pacificers (again you don't know which ones the baby will like)

-I also needed a mirror to put on the headrest, so I can see the baby since it was rear facing, to me that was important.

Of course you know you will need, the crib, mattress, somewhere to change diapers either a changing table or on top of a dresser, clothes etc. You can add this to your registery too if you want. That is up to you.

On a side note:

-If you are going to bf and you want to buy a pump, put this on there becuase you can get the extra discount at the end.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aside from the car seat and stroller, I was pretty clueless too.  Looking at the checklists, a lot of the stuff seemed really excessive to me, the store wants your money of course.  I asked a friend what items she couldn't have lived without and her first response was a pack n play.  She said they didn't get the crib until their son was almost 3 months old because he slept in the pack n play in their bedroom in the very beginning.  She said she bought two of them (one from craigslist) so the two floors of their condo would each have one and she wouldn't have to carry the baby upstairs if he fell asleep in her arms and she wanted to do some cleaning or cooking.

Some babies like the bouncy seat, others prefer swings.  I might get one of each from craigslist and see which one our baby likes better, rather than waste money buying them brand new.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesunnyday016:

imageblessedwithbaby:
    Everyone will tell you what their little one prefered.  However, there are some things I didn't mind getting used.  A swing, bouncer, and some other things like that.  So those I kept off the registry and looked on CL.  We put on our car seat/stroller and covertable car seat, etc.  All the big stuff and we got it.  It was so nice to get the big stuff.  But we also put stuff that our friends would buy $30 or less.  Oh and my advice is go with a booster chair that fits in on your kitchen chair they are way better and don't take up much room. Make sure it reclines then you can start putting baby in it pretty early while you guys are eating dinner. But that is just what we liked.

I couldn't agree more about the high chair that fits on the kitchen chair. I wish we didn't buy a big dumb high chair. It takes up so much space. Fisher Price makes a great one called the SpaceSaver. It can be used without the tray as a booster for toddlers too. 

Just make sure your chairs are heavy and sturdy if you get one of these.  When my daughter decides she over with being in the high chair, she rocks back and forth.  We have a highchair that you can also take apart and strap to a regular chair.  We brought this over to  my FIL's for a BBQ and his chair almost fell backwards when she did this.

This is the chair we got, the Graco Blossom 4 in 1.  You can use the chair with a baby and toddler at the same time.

• I would say some type of baby carrier (baby bjorn, ergo, moby, etc) was pretty essential for us.  It helped when DD was fussy to wear her, plus you have your hands free.  Also, often in the beginning I found it's way easier to wear your LO when out and about, rather than having them in a stroller or lugging around the infant car seat.

There are lots of different carrier options.  You can do some research, or ask friends with babies what worked for them.  We have a Baby Bjorn from the first time around, but this time I'm looking into possibly a Moby or ring sling.

Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Look at https://www.lucieslist.com/

Also, I registered at Buy Buy Baby.  Their selection and customer service wins.  They gave me a free personal shopper to take with me WHILE I registered since I told them I didn't know what the hell I was doing!  :)

• imageMrs.MauiBride24:

Baby Bargains is a great book to use as a resource. 

I totally agree.  I always tell my new expecting mom friends that this should be her first purchase.   

• Our must haves were aiden and anais swaddling blankets! DD LOVED to be swaddled and these were the only blankets that were big enough to use to swaddle her until she was 9 months (yep NINE months old) and were  light enough to swaddle all summer. The bamboo ones are super soft and they are the first on my to buy list for this baby.

Other must haves: bouncy seat, boppy, thermometer (you need that when you least expect it), baby wrap, and double electric breast pump and an activity mat.

Things we NEVER used: swing (DD hated rocking back and forth, in hindsight wish I had gotten one that went side to side too), bumbo (DD hated the bumbo and screamed when she went in it) swaddle sacks (seemed convenient but they were too small, DD outgrew them really quickly, the swaddle blankets were much better), itzbeen (total waste of money, we used it the day we came home from the hospital and that was it.)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Don`t know how I missed this one, but the nicest glider you can afford. My inlaws were nice enough to get me the nicest Dutailer glider, and we have put miles on that thing. I bet it has more miles on it than my 12 yr old car! We LOVE it, and it is so nice to have a comfy place to rock DD especially those nights she is sick or teething and up all night long wanting to be snuggled and rocked. I still rock her to sleep 16 months later though. If you arent planning to rock lo then this would be a huge waste of money.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am going with if I think I might use it or want it, put it on my registry! Also I am going with the items I really like regardless of price. Here is my reasoning: If in the end you find you want one item more than another you can take it back and exchange it for the item you want more. If I do get the $300 stroller and don't get a car seat I can exchange them, or be super happy to have such a nice stroller and as other people said, check craigslist. Used items are my backup plan but until my baby shower (or showers) is over and I can take inventory and decide what I really need I am going to go with what I want.

• Well, it's not a registry item, but I would definitely want to have a Dressed to Deliver birthing gown (or nursing Babe Wrap) for when I deliver.  Hospital gowns are so drab...not to mention all the pictures that will be taken moments after your baby is born.  Looking good is feeling good, especially on one of the most important days of you life...your child's birth-day!  www.dressedtodeliver.com

• imageHotMama71:

Well, it's not a registry item, but I would definitely want to have a Dressed to Deliver birthing gown (or nursing Babe Wrap) for when I deliver.  Hospital gowns are so drab...not to mention all the pictures that will be taken moments after your baby is born.  Looking good is feeling good, especially on one of the most important days of you life...your child's birth-day!  www.dressedtodeliver.com

Subtle. Especially with this being your only post. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

• imageHotMama71:

Well, it's not a registry item, but I would definitely want to have a Dressed to Deliver birthing gown (or nursing Babe Wrap) for when I deliver.  Hospital gowns are so drab...not to mention all the pictures that will be taken moments after your baby is born.  Looking good is feeling good, especially on one of the most important days of you life...your child's birth-day!  www.dressedtodeliver.com

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageHotMama71:

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"