Success after IF

When does practice eating become real eating?

My babies are 10.5 months (9 adjusted). I can't possibly imagine them ever eating enough to sustain them. They eat so little table food.

For example, they eat a quarter of a cheese stick and a mini waffle each for breakfast. Or half and egg and some bread. Most of the time they don't finish it. Dinner is the same. I'm hesitant to introduce lunch since they eat so little. I usually end up just giving them a bunch of puffs and yogurt melts since I know they'll actually eat those.

My daughter basically won't eat purees except for oatmeal and I don't want her to eat that for every meal. My son will eat purees, but I don't see the point if they're supposed to be transitioning to table food anyway.

I can't imagine it two or three months them eating enough table food for them to actually survive on it alone.

I guess this is more of a vent, but does anyone have any advice? I've tried all sorts of foods with the same result.

Thanks ladies!
DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: When does practice eating become real eating?

• i hope people respond to this.  i have a 10.5 month old and other than cheerios and puffs,she doesn't eat much table food.  she just mushes it onto her tray and moves it around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same here, so no advice.  I've tried eggs, pears, pancakes, etc. and they will eat it, but I'm still feeding it to them.  They also don't eat nearly enough of it to consider it a decent meal.  I can't imagine them ever eating enough table food for a meal either.  It's making me feel like an inferior mom lately - like I'm doing something wrong.  Hopefully you get some good responses!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep in mind that soon their calorie needs go down considerably. It is amazing how little they can eat and still gain weight. Once they are one and you can cut down on liquid calories in the form of BM or formula, their appetites can sure increase.

As long as they aren't losing weigh or have weight issues, I'd skip the purees and keep offering all kinds of food - everything you eat save for anything on your pedi's do not eat list. They'll eat!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our kids eat a lot and love food. The key for us is not letting them control their meal and decide what they don't like. I make them have ech new food four times before taking a break from it. If they don't respond well to something at first they usually warm up to it in a few days or after taking a break and retrying. I do lots of variety and give them things they can feed themselves as well as foods that require me feeding them. I don't make baby food, but our food cooked in a way that they can eat (I hope that makes sense).
  • I was also very interested to read the responses b/c I'm going through a similar challenge with my 8-month old (and I never had this with my toddler).  When she started on solids at 5.5 months or so, she was a very good eater and really liked everything we tried and ate it well.  Over the past 2-3 weeks, mealtimes have become challenging.  She will take maybe 3-4 spoonfuls before she starts pursing her lips and shakes her head back & forth (in a no position) to refuse the food.  I've tried purees, finger foods (and she's good with finger foods, at least at getting them into her mouth)....I've tried new foods and then, given the new behavior, gone back to what she loves so I know it's not about letting her warm up to something new (which I knew anyway since she's always been happy to try new foods from the get-go).  Even though it's still ~4 months down the road, I also have a hard time imagining she will ever be able to manage on 'real' meals given how she currently eats them.    

At this point, I just keep trying and doing what you've been doing and hope one day it gets better.  I think that's all we can do.  After reading all the responses, it seems like that's it and there's no magic solution (wouldn't that be great though?)...to just keep doing what you're doing and eventually it may get better.  As others said, I'm not overly concerned about it now b/c she is a very good drinker and I know formula/BM is most important for their development so my concern is longer-term since I know as they get past a year, food becomes more important in their diet than now.  

Hugs though - I know what you're going through and, like most things, I guess this too shall pass!

5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just wondering if its a chicken or egg sort of thing...right now, they are getting most of their nutrition from formula or BM still...so, they might just not be hungry.  maybe they will start being more interested when you are ready to start dropping bottles? 
  • Hi ladies.

Thanks for the responses. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone!

It doesn't seem to matter if they're hungry or not. I feed them 'dinner' at 5 PM and the bottle before that is 2 PM. They don't eat any more then than at breakfast, which they have after a bottle.

I know most of their nutrition is from their formula. That's not the issue. The issue is in 2-3 months when I get rid of their formula. I can't imagine that they will eat enough to replace that nutrition. Ugh. Guess I'm just stressed out!
    DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
    IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageMrsAMR:
    Hi ladies.

Thanks for the responses. I'm happy to know that I'm not alone!

It doesn't seem to matter if they're hungry or not. I feed them 'dinner' at 5 PM and the bottle before that is 2 PM. They don't eat any more then than at breakfast, which they have after a bottle.

I know most of their nutrition is from their formula. That's not the issue. The issue is in 2-3 months when I get rid of their formula. I can't imagine that they will eat enough to replace that nutrition. Ugh. Guess I'm just stressed out!

Just wanted to add that eating issues have been the most stressful part of being a mom so far....and its funny, because even though I haven't gone through all of the eating stages yet, i look back at what I worried about and it seems so silly now...it all just works out...one day the solids "click" and they just start shoveling it in...or maybe they are just never big eaters, but somehow those kids grow and develop just fine too!  

Try not to stress, I know, easier said than done...and maybe you can pass it back to me when DS reaches the picky toddler eating phase, k?  Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"