Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Tell me about a transition to one nap...

Yes, I know this is posted all the time. Now it's my turn. Wink

Ro refused an afternoon nap last week and today she refused her morning nap.  I am wondering if this is just a weird day or if she is on the road to just one nap. 

How did it go for you if your LO is down to one nap?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Tell me about a transition to one nap...

• Options
    Once J started fighting naps, we just went for it (because with 2 it is MUCH easier to deal with one nap, and I knew once N started school the 2 nap schedule would be a nightmare with drop off/pick up).  We just slowly moved back his morning nap...first 10:30, 11, 11:30 and skipped the pm nap altogether (we found once we moved his morning nap later, it was generally longer).  Now he goes down around 12 and sleeps for 2-3 hours.  I love that he never fights his nap, he's good at tired when he goes to sleep, and he's also just the right amount of tired at bedtime (7:30ish).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My LO went from 3 to 1. He started to want go down for his am nap later, so of course he didn't want to nap after lunch. Then I would put him down around 5-5:30 for about an hour. So I just turned the am nap into the after lunch nap and he didn't want to nap anymore after it. At first he was only sleeping for a 1-1.5 hours at a time(and life was hell), but now he sleeps 2.5+ everyday.

For the first few weeks of the transition he would fall asleep in the highchair eating lunch, but now he's adjusted.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is generally taking one 30 minute nap in the morning (around 9:15) and then a longer afternoon one (1.5-2 hours) and sleeps 11 hours or so at night.  Our DCP started with the morning cat naps a few weeks ago and that seems to have GREATLY improved the night time sleep and is just enough for her to take the edge off until the afternoon nap.
  • Options

imagegennyu:
    I think 10 mos is on the early side to transition down to one...from what I  understand 18 mos is more in line with baby's needs.

This is not very helpful.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    DD started occasionally going down to 1 nap around 10-11 months. I just went with the flow, and by 12 months she went down to 1 nap on her own. Most days.
  • Options
    imagegennyu:
    imagepepomntpat:

imagegennyu:
    I think 10 mos is on the early side to transition down to one...from what I  understand 18 mos is more in line with baby's needs.

I'm sorry you didn't find that information helpful.  In my experience with DS, as he became more mobile he started resisting naps.  But that didn't mean he didn't NEED to nap twice daily.  At this age babies still need about 14 hrs of sleep per day, and most babies can't go more than 4 hrs between naps without getting cranky.

"The No Cry Sleep Solution" may prove to be a good resource for you.  Again, I'm sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

She got the same amount of total sleep with one nap as she did with two. So the hours still add up. That means usually she takes two 1 hour and 15 minute naps. Yesterday she took one 2 and a half hour nap.  I was asking people how their LOs showed they were ready for the switch. I am not going to put my daughter in the crib and let her scream. You can't force a baby to sleep.

I'm also not trying to force her into one nap. I was looking for experiences on how it went and how people knew their LO was ready which is what everyone else in this post gave me. Not some statistical mumbo jumbo. Confused

I also read all of the sleep books (well at least half a dozen). My baby fits some of the criteria and not others. She's unique, like everyone's baby.

• Options
    imagegennyu:
    imagepepomntpat:
    imagegennyu:
    imagepepomntpat:

imagegennyu:

I'm sorry you didn't find that information helpful.  In my experience with DS, as he became more mobile he started resisting naps.  But that didn't mean he didn't NEED to nap twice daily.  At this age babies still need about 14 hrs of sleep per day, and most babies can't go more than 4 hrs between naps without getting cranky.

"The No Cry Sleep Solution" may prove to be a good resource for you.  Again, I'm sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

She got the same amount of total sleep with one nap as she did with two. So the hours still add up. That means usually she takes two 1 hour and 15 minute naps. Yesterday she took one 2 and a half hour nap.  I was asking people how their LOs showed they were ready for the switch. I am not going to put my daughter in the crib and let her scream. You can't force a baby to sleep.

I'm also not trying to force her into one nap. I was looking for experiences on how it went and how people knew their LO was ready which is what everyone else in this post gave me. Not some statistical mumbo jumbo. Confused

I also read all of the sleep books (well at least half a dozen). My baby fits some of the criteria and not others. She's unique, like everyone's baby.

As the title of the book suggests, "The No Cry Sleep Solution" is not about letting a child scream him or herself to sleep.

With so many sleep books under your belt, it sounds as though you have armed yourself with all the information you need to answer your own question.

GL!

Except for the personal experiences I asked for. They aren't in the books. Is that really so hard?

And the No Cry solutions made my daughter cry harder. I did read that one. It's the first one I read because I didn't want her to cry. If she is in her crib when she doesn't want to be she cries. It doesn't matter how much I rock her or nurse her or how many lovies I give her or how much she was rubbing her eyes 15 seconds before, or how drowsy she is before she goes down.

I honestly don't know why I am bothering to argue this point. I am just in such a bad mood and you just come across as so all knowing. Ugh, I am disappointed in myself for taking your bait.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"