2nd Trimester

C-Section or Natural?

What do you guys think? C-Section or Natural? I really want to deliver the baby naturally but I am scared it will never be the same again down there..? Anyone has the same concerns??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: C-Section or Natural?

• Personally I guess I consider a c-section for emergencies and if medically necessary. I really dont think you should elect to have yourself cut open.

Things may change down there after a vaginal birth but with some kegels and such it will all work the same.

• This is my second... I went with a doula and had my first vaginally... I will defintely pray for that again.  Beyond being more expensive... I don't want the risk for me or my baby...or the scars... or more medication...or the down time.  I'm pretty much the same "down there" but I understand your concern. I do know women who have issues due to pregnancy complications.  I know some that HAVE TO deliver C-section with baby 2 and they are devastated and terrified. It's truly a personal choice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm the same "down there". I don't think docs will do a c-section just because you want one. It's major abdominal surgery.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Uh, you don't generally have a choice. If things are fine, you have the baby vaginally. If there's a medical reason, you have a c-section. Any by medical reason, I don't mean "so things aren't messed up down there."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFIRST311:

Personally I guess I consider a c-section for emergencies and if medically necessary. I really dont think you should elect to have yourself cut open.

Things may change down there after a vaginal birth but with some kegels and such it will all work the same.

This. I had an emergency c-section with DD and I was not very happy about it. Everything went well and it was the best for her, but I would never elect to get one for no good reason.

• Only an OB/gyn will be able to tell you've delivered a baby vaginally. Does it take time to heal and feel "normal" again? Yes. But I will gladly deliver 5 babies vaginally than 1 with a c-section. The recovery time is longer. Your body is cut into, the baby is extracted and your abdominal section may never been the same again. Many times, the Cesarean delivered baby is immediately whisked away and not brought back for an hour or later. Not for me if I can avoid it. 

Emergency c-sections are sometimes necessary, but with a little research and reading you can learn to avoid certain situations that can lead to c-sections. 

• I definitely prefer natural. I hope to never have to have a c-section. But to each their own.

I'm more afraid of a catheter than anything. I'd also prefer to stay away from an epidural.

Also, I just watched my sister give birth back in June. I wasn't watching the baby come out but I did end up walking by her goods because her MIL didn't want to do it and make anyone uncomfortable. Anyways, it was literally seconds after the baby was born, the placenta hadn't been delivered yet, and it all looked normal. So I'm not really scared of that. 

• I think you meant to say c-section or vaginal. Those are the two ways you give birth.
  • You don't just get to choose to have a c-section instead of delivering vaginally. Contrary to popular belief you can not (as a patient) just tell your doctor "hey, I don't want to push this baby out of my vag, so give me major abdominal surgery instead!".

You will most likely deliver vaginally if there is no medical reason for you to have a c-section. I'm not sure where these stories come from about just deciding to have c-sections for your convenience.

Seriously, get over it. Andplusalso please stop calling your vagina "down there".

• Like PPs said, you generally don't get a choice. One of the biggest reasons I'd like to give birth vaginally is that I really can't wait for that moment after the baby is born when I get to hold him/her. You generally don't get that immediately after a c-section, because you'll be a little loopy from all the meds. Of course, if it's medically necessary, I'll have that c-section in a heartbeat. But when I got pregnant, I pretty much took it for granted that things would never be the same "down there." Frankly, I think it's all worth it in the end.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • I tried to have a natural labor with my DS, 37 hours later after 6 hours of pushing, it just wasn't happening. I will have a repeat c/s with DD, as my hosp doesn't allow VBAC's which is fine with me . But keep in mind most people who do have c/s have a medical reason as to why, not necessarily by choice. If you aren't planning on a c/s it can be devastating, my SIL is a prime example of that.  It's a personal choice.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Is it a myth that something like 80% of women have c-sections in Brazil for the sex life to stay the same?

I had a c-section because my son was breeched.  When my doctor told me I had to, I was a little shocked at first, but I actually had a wonderful experience in the end.  So, if you end up having a c-section, don't be too disappointed.  

However, I do have a scar, and honestly I don't find that sexy...  And, I have a friend who had serious complications from her c-section.  It's a major surgery.  I'm hoping I can try VBAC this time.

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A C-Section is major abdominal surgery!  I would never want a c-section unless it was an emergency situation. 
  • imageRobinSparkles214:

You don't just get to choose to have a c-section instead of delivering vaginally. Contrary to popular belief you can not (as a patient) just tell your doctor "hey, I don't want to push this baby out of my vag, so give me major abdominal surgery instead!".

You will most likely deliver vaginally if there is no medical reason for you to have a c-section. I'm not sure where these stories come from about just deciding to have c-sections for your convenience.

Seriously, get over it. Andplusalso please stop calling your vagina "down there".

Can we all try to be a little civil here?  People can call it whatever they want to call it.

As for whether we can choose to get a cesarean, here's the first few pages that came up when I googled "Elective C-section."  There are plenty more, too.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_elective-cesarean-is-it-for-you_1498696.bc

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3291512&page=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_caesarean_section#Patient_request

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/elective-c-section/MY01245

https://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2008/06/27/the-myth-elective-csection 

I like the one from mayoclinic 

• I had two c/s and will have another with this one.  First was due to complications from pitocin/not progressing.  2nd was because DD#2 was breach (I had hoped to do a VBAC).  3rd will be because hospital won't let me try for a VBAC after 2 c/s.  in general, I had a good c/s experience; however, I wouldn't recommend it.  I wouldn't do it electively and I still feel I missed out on some sort of woman's birthing right by not getting to experience a vaginal birth.  It's major abdominal surgery that has it's own complications associated with it.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am really hoping that I don't need to have a c-section (even though I'd get 2 additional weeks paid maternity leave with a c/s).  From what I've heard, recovery from vaginal birth is generally quicker.

And I don't think all doctors do elective c-sections.  Mine will only schedule one if you've had one before or if there is some sort of risk factor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So...you're willing to put yourself and your baby at risk just so that things "down there"  don't change?  The U.S. has the highest infant and maternal mortality rate of any developed country...partly due to the fact that more and more women are having c-sections.  C-sections DO have their place.  They can save the lives of both mother and child in the case of an emergency.  But you should not choose to have a c-section because you're worried about what your vagina will look like.  You need to inform yourself about what a c-section involves, and the risks associated with the procedure.  It is MAJOR SURGERY.  Your body was made to birth a baby- things will return to normal.  Please do some research before making a decision.   

• I went natural with my DS and everything is fine 'down there'.  I will defiantly do it again!

• I have delivered 2 babies vaginally and my vagina is just fine. I would be terrified to have a c-section.

Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • I would never do a c-section unless it was medically neccesary. 

ETA:  I was cut - and I'm still the same down there anyway. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As for "not being the same down there", your body does bounce back. It's not like throwing a hot dog down a hallway, come on. My husband has no complaints and I've noticed no difference.

Just being honest.

• imagekcvasquez:
    I think you meant to say c-section or vaginal. Those are the two ways you give birth.

Yes

My friends/family that have had vaginal deliveries reported no dramatic change - just start doing kegels and you'll be fine.

Vaginal deliveries are (in most cases/situations) WAY better than c-sections.  And that is coming from someone who is having a 3rd c/s in Feb/March.  I had medical reasons for DD1's and was not a good candidate for a VBAC, so don't really have much choice this time around.   C-sections are not a walk in the park - its major abdominal surgery. 

• As you can probably see this board does not like opinions of people that might want a c-section. Anways, I'm pretty sure you can ask for a c-section, I think some states are more ok than others. And I see you are in colorado, I know someone there who told her new doc she had an elective c the first time around and her doc commented, oh yeah I hear that is getting big out in California these days. 

I've had 2 friends have elective c-sections, nothing medical and they loved it. I've also had friends who loved vaginal birth, the experience and all that jazz. Its up to you in the end.

When I first saw your post I thought, oh someone with my issue. I have major back issues and cannot get epidurals so I am considering a C, not sure yet...time to decide and I won't feel bad if people think I'm nuts, maybe they will, maybe they won't...some might think I'm nuts if I end up going o'natural when I could have not.

• Right now, at 24 weeks I have placenta previa..which may go away..so I may have to have a c-section..either way..I am sure I will be good 'down there'  lol...
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"