Parenting

Anyone have eczema (you, not DC)

I've had it a few times in my life, but its always gone away after a few days. This time, I've had it for like 3 months. I'm pretty sure all medicinal treatments are unsafe in pregnancy and breastfeeding, but OMG I'm about to die...its covering both hands, itches and burns like crazy, red and inflammed. 

I've been using ice packs at bedtime, and unscented lotion around the clock. Am I doing harm by using too much lotion? Is there anything else I can try thats not prescription? I also tried over the counter hydrocortisone cream, didnt help at all.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have eczema (you, not DC)

• I do! But, I can't be of much help because no over the counter stuf really works for me.

I have torturous dishydrotic excema on my hands. It is really bad and I have been to the doctor multiple times over the years for prescription steroid cream. Nothing helps. I need to get into a dermatologist and get an allergy test done and then see if there is anything else I can do. I hate it :(

Oh wait, yes, sometimes when it is really bad I will coat my hands in vaseline and wear those cotton stretchy gloves to bed and it really helps for awhile. It always comes back though. Baastard excema.

• Aquaphor and cotton gloves at bedtime. GL
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Vaseline or aquaphor work well. Also, for DS, his is much much better when he gets zyrtec daily, so if you could take claritin or another allergy med, it may help. GL!
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
  • imageMayorMcCheese000:

I do! But, I can't be of much help because no over the counter stuf really works for me.

I have torturous dishydrotic excema on my hands. It is really bad and I have been to the doctor multiple times over the years for prescription steroid cream. Nothing helps. I need to get into a dermatologist and get an allergy test done and then see if there is anything else I can do. I hate it :(

Oh wait, yes, sometimes when it is really bad I will coat my hands in vaseline and wear those cotton stretchy gloves to bed and it really helps for awhile. It always comes back though. Baastard excema.

Pretty much all of the above for me.  Pretty much only on my hands and it is awful.  It seems that my dermatologist has finally found something that is working for me, but it is a steroid ointment. :-(  I am going to have allergy testing in the next month as well to try and figure this out.  I have always had dry skin, but never had issues with eczema prior to giving birth to DD.  I am scared to get pregnant again b/c I have no idea how my skin will react.  Have you seen a dermatologist?  They might be able to find something for you.  Good luck - Eczema sucks!

DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • California Babies Calendula Cream has been a MIRACLE cream for DS's really severe eczema - as in it is working as well as a prescription-strength hydrocortisone ointment if we apply it liberally several times a day.  It smells good (but is made with ingredients unlikely to cause allergy) and seems safer than the prescription steroid creams for regular use.

Highly recommend giving it a try - would probably be good with cotton gloves at night :)  Target (among other stores) sells it:

https://www.drugstore.com/california-baby-calendula-cream/qxp54802?catid=47477&fromsrch=california+baby

• I've had it twice on my hands, both times because I was using irritating soap (hospital NICU soap) and hand sanitizer all the time. I did what others mentioned with Vaseline and gloves. If it really bothers you though, you should go see the doc. I took oral steriods for another condition the entire time I was pregnant and breastfeeding so not all are contra-indicated.
  • imageMayorMcCheese000:

I do! But, I can't be of much help because no over the counter stuf really works for me.

This is my story also.  I only have it bad on one hand, but is so awful.  I haven't found much that helps, but I use Cetaphil cream (the one in the tub) throughout the day.  I am dreading the winter because it always gets worse with the cold dry air. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"