Pregnant after 35
Options

Listeria outbreak?

Anyone concerned about this and/or discussed this with their doctor?  Is there any kind of screening test they can do for it?   I did eat cantalope a bit this summer and just don't like these reports that you come up with symptoms 1-2 months later, yikes!

Re: Listeria outbreak?

• Options
    I had half a cantaloupe in the refrigerator when the news broke and I threw it out. I don't get too worked about all the do's and don'ts about what to eat when you are pregnant but a real Listeria outbreak is concerning. I can't do anything about what has already been eaten so I just have to have faith that all is well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Your doctor can do a test to check for the listeria infection.  Quite a few of the pregnant Colorado girls had this test done as the majority of our late summer canteloupes come from the Rocky Ford region in Colorado (and even our local grocery stores originally had stock of the recalled Jensen Farms canteloupes).  Since sympoms can take up to three months to surface and the recall/concern goes back to the end of July, it's hard or almost impossible to know if you may have had some canteloupe from this region at some point in the last few months.

Married July 21, 2007

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank goodness I don't really care for canteloupe! My MIL did have it out on the dinner table for Sunday dinner. I don't even think my kiddos ate any. Like PP said, can't do anything about what is already done. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good point!  Just spoke to my doctor's office and they didn't seem to know anything about it.  Interesting to hear some doctors have tested for it.  Hopefully it'll not be a big concern in the coming months.  In the meantime, no cantelope in my house!
  • Options

This is an excellent example of Jerzee's post below -

On this board a poster brings up the Listeria outbreak and she gets helpful responses.  On the third trimester board someone brought it up and got reamed for posting "old news." 

More on point - I'm not worried about melons I've already eaten, but I'm not adding any more to my grocery list for the foreseeable future. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Umm, that's kind of crazy!  Not old news to me... gotta love how online boards can bring out the best and the worst in people.  Yay for the Pregnant after 35 group!
  • Options

I've been eating cantalope like it's going out of style since I've been pregnant.  Usually as part of a fruit salad already chopped up. 

I called my doctor to see if I should be concerned or get tested and they didn't seem to be worried about it.  I guess their lack of concern is comforting?

Me: 38  DH:36
    lap for endo 12/2010  uterus didelphys confirmed in hysteroscopy 
    dd born at 34 weeks 2/29/12  short NICU stay
    BFP somewhere around 2/14/13  d&c april @ 12 wks   partial molar diagnosed after d&c
    HCG monitoring for approx 11 months
    TTC  #2 

• Options
    imageHuahine:

On this board a poster brings up the Listeria outbreak and she gets helpful responses.  On the third trimester board someone brought it up and got reamed for posting "old news." 

More on point - I'm not worried about melons I've already eaten, but I'm not adding any more to my grocery list for the foreseeable future. 

Yeah - I'm not excited about moving over.   

I just heard about this today on another message board that was totally unrelated to pregnancies.  (Someone was just casually mentioning that they and their husband were sick and couldn't figure out why...this was mentioned and I was like, huh?). 

• Options
    imageHuahine:

Yeah - I'm not excited about moving over.   

I just heard about this today on another message board that was totally unrelated to pregnancies.  (Someone was just casually mentioning that they and their husband were sick and couldn't figure out why...this was mentioned and I was like, huh?). 

• Options
    ***no idea why the double post happened - tried to delete the extra and couldn't***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"