Success after IF
Options

Has anyone seen Race to Nowhere?

I'm finally going to see it tonight!  I haven't seen anyone mention it here, but if anyone else has seen it, I'm sure there's plenty to discuss.  I wasn't able to go either of the first two times it showed here, the first being back in the spring, so I was excited it was coming back. :)

In case you're unfamiliar:

https://www.racetonowhere.com/

https://www.endtherace.org/

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
Our early Christmas present 12/9/10

Re: Has anyone seen Race to Nowhere?

• Options
    I haven't but I'd like to. Like everything else involving education in this country I think this is a class issue. Ive read some reviews but would really be interested to see the film myself. I personally hate the "college or bust" attitude in this country. My husband and I are both very well-educated and I have a graduate degree, but I have absolutely no intention of insisting that my children go to college. I will only ask them to be happy and productive...college is not the only path to happiness and success. Beyond that I will say that I'm sick to death of the NCLB bashing. What I'd like to say to pols who don't like it is SHOW ME YOUR PLAN to fix the public school system. Specifically one that involves more than just throwing money at the issue.
  • Options
    DYING to see it, and cannot seems to get my town to show it.  Figures, b/c the film features some students from here - I'm sure they're afraid it will somehow cause them to be criticized. If it ever comes, I'm going to be first in line!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Love it, cjsbdl -- and I loved the film.  I hate NCLB, but I agree with everything else you said.  The film really focused on high school students being all but focused to get excellent grades and do XYZ and yet meanwhile they're not enjoying any of it and really aren't learning in the true sense of the word either.  And the culture of this stress and competition goes down to younger kids.  As you alluded, it's all about finding what the children really enjoy and finding schools (through high school, plus colleges too) that fit the specific kids.  The film highlighted how parents need to stop asking so many questions about what homework and tests kids have, and instead focus on more fun and positive things.  Kids need to learn that it's OK to make mistakes and that they can get back up and move on, and they need to learn how to solve problems and how to get along with other people, but that's not what schools are teaching in the end.  Less homework would be a manageable start since there's minimal (and sometimes negative) correlation between amount of homework and learning/AP scores/etc.  So there is a lot that's really heady and complicated, yet some things that we can do as parents and educators that are simple and manageable. :) 

It's beyond depressing to think of how much of a person's first 18 years could be spent in effect doing things purely for college applications...not for college or beyond, but just for the application and the status. :(  It made me so thankful that I had a "screw doing anything just for college applications" attitude all through HS!

imageimageimage

• Options

imageKatietwin:
    DYING to see it, and cannot seems to get my town to show it.  Figures, b/c the film features some students from here - I'm sure they're afraid it will somehow cause them to be criticized. If it ever comes, I'm going to be first in line!  

There was one that I can think of, you're right!  But hers was a good story as I recall.  I hope you're able to get it there, and if you do, please come back and report! :)

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"