TTC After a Loss
Options

hypothyroidism and TTC

Hello ladies! DH and I have been ttc for about 6 months since my miscarriage in January and I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism secondary to hashimoto's thyroiditis. I have just started taking synthroid and am feeling hopeful that I will soon feel better and soon be KU! Anyway I was wondering if any of you ladies have any experience with thyroid issues. I have read a lot about certain TSH levels being compatible with becoming pregnant and am wondering if anyone has any insight or experiences they could share. TIA!!
TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: hypothyroidism and TTC

• Options

I have had hypothyrodism and hashimotos for approximately 5 years. My endo wanted my TSH to be below 2 to be ideal for pregnancy. When I was pregnant, before my m/c, it was around a 1. Have you had your levels tested yet?

Also, when I was first diagnosed, I was placed on synthroid, but it didn't work for me. I felt like it made all my systems worse. I was more hormonal, tired and gained even MORE weight :( I have been on ArmorThyroid for about 3 years or more now, and while it is better, it's not perfect. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Hi!  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I was also dx w/ Hasimoto's, but it was before I got pregnant.  I was on synthroid and my TSH levels were fine throughout my pregnancy.  After our loss however, my thyroid went a bit crazy.  I was dx w/ postpartum thyroiditis so it went hyper then hypo and then back to somewhat normal.  Talk about feeling crazy!  My hormones were all over the place.  I don't know if I will get put on synthroid again soon or not.  My endo is monitoring my levels every couple months.  I do know that pregnancy outcomes tend to be better when hasimoto's patients are on synthroid (as long as their tsh are balanced).  Hope that helps a bit.  Good luck!

Oh, and there is a book on amazon called "Hope for Hasimoto's"  I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

PGAL/PAL welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trying to start our family since 2010
    BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
    BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
    My Ovulation Chart
    3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
    Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both for the info and I will definitely be looking into the book. My TSH is 1.79 but I am having lots of symptoms so I guess that even though that number is considered normal, it is not normal for me.  Thanks again!
    TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism right before I got pregnant, with TSH above 4. I was originally tested by my GP, who I later found out was clueless. She put me on a minimal dosage of meds with the goal to get my levels between 3-4, and said that I would not be able to conceive until my levels dropped. We did conceive, so I assumed all was fine, and then through further research and visits with my OB, learned that pregnancy can affect thyroid levels. My OB monitored my TSH, and adjusted my meds to keep it below 2.5, but unfortunately it never got there before my m/c (it had gone up to almost 6). After my m/c, my OB ordered a full thyroid panel test, which is a test that is skewed during pregnancy, to rule out Hashimotos and any other additional issues. Thankfully those results came back normal based on my current med dosage. I take 50mcg of levothyroxine, which is generic Synthroid.
    I'm sorry for your loss and hope you get the answers you need.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i have hypo and have been pregnant twice :) No take home babies but if it is controlled it shouldnt be a problem

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options

***Ticker for DD warning***

My first pregnancy knocked my thyroid out of whack.  My hypothyroidism was actually diagnosed by my OB during my yearly appt a year and a few months after DD was born.  I've been on the generic version of synthroid since then and have my thyroid levels checked pretty regularly.  I had mine checked by my new internal medicine doc in June and the results showed I was on the right dosage.  I got my BFP on July 3 and my OB checked my levels at my first appt when I was 5 wks, 2 days and they were fine. When I went in for my next appt we discovered I had a blighted ovum, so I don't know what my OB's plan was regarding my thyroid after that point.  He previously made it sound like he would check my levels frequently during pregnancy.  When he gave us the green light to TTC at my 6 week follow up appt from my D&C, he didn't express any concern about my thyroid levels.

I will say that when I wasn't TTC and went on synthroid, within a couple of weeks I felt I had A LOT more energy.  My dosage was upped several times during the first year and I got to the point I could generally "feel" when I needed my dosage raised because I would feel more tired.

• Options
    imagekatmacwv:

***Ticker for DD warning***

My first pregnancy knocked my thyroid out of whack.  My hypothyroidism was actually diagnosed by my OB during my yearly appt a year and a few months after DD was born.  I've been on the generic version of synthroid since then and have my thyroid levels checked pretty regularly.  I had mine checked by my new internal medicine doc in June and the results showed I was on the right dosage.  I got my BFP on July 3 and my OB checked my levels at my first appt when I was 5 wks, 2 days and they were fine. When I went in for my next appt we discovered I had a blighted ovum, so I don't know what my OB's plan was regarding my thyroid after that point.  He previously made it sound like he would check my levels frequently during pregnancy.  When he gave us the green light to TTC at my 6 week follow up appt from my D&C, he didn't express any concern about my thyroid levels.

I will say that when I wasn't TTC and went on synthroid, within a couple of weeks I felt I had A LOT more energy.  My dosage was upped several times during the first year and I got to the point I could generally "feel" when I needed my dosage raised because I would feel more tired.

This (bolded part) for me as well. It's almost depressing to know I went through life feeling like crap thinking it was normal to feel that way. 

As for monitoring during pregnancy, since my levels were out of whack from the beginning, we monitored and adjusted very often, but my OB told me that typically once levels are under control, they are monitored every 4-6 weeks during pg since pregnancy can cause spikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"