High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

New to this board, GD. Does diet, medicine or insulin work for you?

Hi everyone.  This is my first post on this board.  I've had a whirlwind past couple days.  Most recently (this morning), I found out I failed my one hour test so bad (209) that I don't even qualify for the 3 hour test.  I officially have GD.  I don't have my counseling appointment until next week, and then I start pricking away.

I posted on my month as well, and there were a few great girls who reached out to me right away.  My Doctor explained to me that we will try diet for one week, and if that doesn't work she will give me medicine, and if that fails I will do insulin shots.

How many of you have been able to control  your GD with diet vs. medicine vs. insulin?  I haven't looked through previous posts, so I'll probably find tips in the posts... but of course I"m curious about what food combos work best for everyone.... and I"d love to hear some good stories.

Thanks for any help you have to offer! 

pregnancy Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New to this board, GD. Does diet, medicine or insulin work for you?

• Options
    I just posted my diet plan on the Dec board for you. We tried diet for a few days, and most of my numbers were good. But my after breakfast number was shooting up in the 170's even strictly following the diet. I started insulin with breakfast, and figured out that my body can't handle milk for breakfast. My breakfast numbers are finally good now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I started out with Type 2 diabetes that was controlled with diet for 5 years, when I got pregnant my sugars slowly started to rise. I now have insulin 3 times a day, and my Dr thinks I should be back to diet controlled a few days after birth. 

I can not have fruit, milk, or anything over carbie in the mornings, or late at night, and always do a protein with my carbs 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I had GD last time, I was able to control it with diet (I had basically the same results of my 1 hour test you did during that pregnancy). I was also able to test after 2 hours. This time around, I am on 5 shots of insulin a day and have to test after 1 hour. Insulin is not the end of the world like I thought it would be. It's not fun, but it's manageable for sure. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Diet only with my first DD. I haven't been diagnosed this pregnancy. So far, at least.

I found that for breakfast I pretty much had to do no carbs or a single piece of toast (plus proteins) to keep my after breakfast number low. At dinner I could have a few servings of carbs, no prob.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    my after meal numbers have been successfully controlled with diet alone, but my fasting number required insulin to get under 90. My Endo doesn't use any oral medication so i skipped that step.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and so far have been diet and exercise controlled.  I walk one mile in the morning and one mile in the evening without fail and also try to get more walking in at work after lunch.  I have to measure fasting and two hours after meals.  I've had some fasting numbers that were too high (mid 90s instead of under 90) but so far all my 2 hour post-meal numbers have been well below the cut-off of 120.  The most important thing for me is to make sure that I always pair protein with any carbs but I actually feel like I'm eating way more now than before I was diagnosed.  They have me eating 2200 calories a day, 3 meals and 3 snacks.  I had gained 11 lbs when diagnosed and have since lost 4 lbs but baby is growing just fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the responses.  It's good to hear how you are all controlling it.  Best of luck to all of you!
    pregnancy Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"