Austin Babies
Options

PSA: Space Bags

I just opened up the space bags with Luke's NB and 0-3 clothes in them only to discover that a LOT of the white/light stuff had yellow spots all over.  Some were really dark and others weren't too bad. I freaked at the thought of all of his lighter clothes being ruined and opened all the bags I'd stored.  Anything that had been stored ~18 months or less looked fine. But the older stuff (3-6, 6-9) had the spotting too.

I did a bit of googling and discovered that you're apparently supposed to open your bags 1/year, shake out the clothes to air them out, then refold and put back.  Seriously?!?!?  And this info didn't even come from the spacebag company!  Anyway I'm going to soak the stuff in Oxiclean then lay it out in the sun to dry and hope for the best.  But I thought I'd pass on this info to you since I'd rec'ed using spacebags for clothing storage in the past.  Oh and all this stuff was stored under our guest bed, not in the attic or garage.

Re: PSA: Space Bags

• Options
    That is so weird. I have horrible luck with space bags, though, so most of mine open up and refluff themselves every few weeks. I have just given up on most of them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OK, now I shudder to think how DD's clothes have fared - since they are in cardboard boxes in the attic!

The oxiclean should help - my mom used it on lot of MY old baby clothes before she passed them down to DD and while they are not sparkling white - they are close and that is pretty good for 30+ years of storage.  I'm sure you're luck can only be better.

Let us know how it goes!

• Options
    I just wanted to mention that it might not be the bags. All of DD's clothes were stored in plastic totes in the top of her closet and when I took them out, they had yellow stains all over them. Apparently milk stains can show up over time so when you put the clothes in storage, they look clean, but when you take them out, they have the stains on them. Soaking them in oxyclean did the trick for our stuff.
  • Options

imagetxbabs111:
    I just wanted to mention that it might not be the bags. All of DD's clothes were stored in plastic totes in the top of her closet and when I took them out, they had yellow stains all over them. Apparently milk stains can show up over time so when you put the clothes in storage, they look clean, but when you take them out, they have the stains on them. Soaking them in oxyclean did the trick for our stuff.

Ditto this. as i went through dd's stuff to get out the gender neutral stuff i saw tons of yellow stains on her clothes that looked "clean" when i put them away. yep, milk stains. i didnt' try to wash them though, just put them back into the plastic storage bins i'd had them in. we'll cross that road if we ever have another girl.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hope you're right!  There were several q&a websites that popped up when I searched yellow stains and spacebags so I assumed...But that would explain why it's only on most of his younger stuff.  Fingers crossed that the oxyclean works!
  • Options
    I don't use space bags and some of Babytaffy's stuff had stains on it when I pulled it out four years later.  Regular washing in the usual detergent and then hanging in the sun to dry made the stains disappear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"