Baby Showers
Options

shower invite question.

Over the weekend someone told me that instead of having people bring cards with the gifts at her baby shower, she told them to please bring books and sign them like a card. I love the idea because I would love to start a mini childrens library, being the first child we have zero childrens books. Is it rude to do that? And also, if you think its a good idea, how do you word it without sounding bossy??

Re: shower invite question.

• Options

This seems to be all the rage lately!  I don't know if you can really do it without being bossy though.  My suggestion is to register for some books that you would like on your registry and then people can buy them for you as gifts.  

Truthfully, when I receive an invitation that requests a book instead of a card I usually "forget" to bring the book.  But I also don't buy cards.  I simply put a gift tag on the gift.  I really don't think it is worth my money to buy a card that will get thrown in the garbage.  The way i see it if I was not going to bring a card then I wouldn't replace it with a book either. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've been getting invites like this for quite awhile now.  In my circle, there is nothing wrong with it.  Especially because you can pick up a book at the dollar store or at Target that is not pricey.

I got a crap ton of books at my shower, I thought it was awesome.  The only issue I found was that she new has 4 copies of Goodnight Moon, all signed. lol. 

If it makes you feel uncomfortable, or if this is something that is not popular among your circle of friends, don't do it, and just register for books.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

IN theory, this is a great idea but ultimately I think it sounds greedy.  If you've priced kids books, they are pretty expensive. The average board book run between 5 and 6 dollars around here and that's for a small one.  I would never spend that much on a card so it feels like I'm buying an additional gift if I'm asked to bring a book instead of a card. 

If you are hoping to start a good library, register for them and people will pick some up. Also, plan on utilzing your local library. This is good because it is a nice outing for baby too!

• Options

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I did this at my sister-in-law's shower in June and everyone LOVED it and thought it was the best idea ever. I am hosting my sister's shower next month and I am doing it again and so far almost everyone who has rsvp'd has commented on how much they love the idea. In my verse, I totally left it up to the guest, just mentioned that we were building a library. Here is what I said:

One small request that won't be too hard 
    Please bring a book instead of a card.
    Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh 
    You can sign the inside cover with a note from you.
    Baby will become very smart, if my advice you do heed. 
    If we begin early, baby will soon love to read.

We would like to build a library for Baby (last name), so if you would like to participate, please bring your favorite children?s book and feel free to sign it. You are welcome to bring a card, or a book, or both?it?s up to you. Thanks!

• Options

My hang up about this...

I didn't do this and I have a CRAPLOAD of books.  I didn't get a lot at my shower, but over time - we have accumulated a LOT of books. 

As such, I dont' see why it's necessary to dictate to people to buy a book.

Plus, what do you do w/ duplicates (which you know you'll get!).

In the end, if someone requests this, I'm not going to clutch my pearls and be offended, but I'm not going to do it.  As a PP said, I rarely do cards even, much less a book.

But I really don't see why it's necessary. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    PLEASE don't do this.  Despite the fact that other women might think it's a good idea, it's not...AT ALL.  Yes, it seems benign enough, but most people feel obligated to get a nicer book, which can run $5-6.  I get a lot of cards at the dollar store for a buck, so it's not replacing one with something comparable.  And it's just rude to ask guests to bring an additional gift on top of the other gift they were asked for when they were invited to the shower.  The guests are already getting you one gift...please don't guilt them into another on top of it.
  • Options

people on this board are definitely not fans of this. however, in my circle of family and friends, it's pretty normal. I don't get upset by being asked to bring a book for a couple bucks. yes it can end up being a couple dollars more then a books but i also splurge a little on baby gifts so the extra couple bucks don't bother me.

I personally like the idea. my sister did this for my shower which is next sunday. i'm anticipating getting doubles. no biggie. 

• Options
    I think it is rude. If people want to buy you a book, they will. It is their choice, not yours. If you want a lot of books, buy them yourself.
  • Options

I got invited to a book shower, and felt very awkward about it.  I had already bought/made my present, so I didn't want to buy something extra.  But, I felt rude not participating.  I also have acquired many books without doing this, so I vote that it is bossy, and can make guests uncomfortable.

Also, I'm not 101 weeks pregnant.

• Options

It's tacky to put any sort of request on gifts..there's no way to sugar coat it or dress it up and make it look cute.  You request any sort of gift then you are crossing into being greedy. 

Build up your own book collection, I did it with my daughter on my own and it is possible, you don't have to rely on others to do it for you.

Bottom line:  If you add a request anywhere in the invite that involves anything about gifts, stop and realize that it's tacky.

• Options

I don't think it's a good idea. What happens if you end up with 3 or more copies of the same book, all of which have been inscribed? You can't return the extra copies and exchange them for different books.  You also run the risk of getting a lot of board books and infant/toddler books that your child will grow out of before kindergarden.

Instead I'd register for books that are your favorites or let it be known by word of mouth that you'd like gift cards for Barnes and Noble or other bookstores so you can build your own library.  At the shower you could have a sheet that guests can record their favorite children's book titles on so you'd have a shopping list for later. 

I started my library years ago by shopping at garage sales.  I've bought boxes of children's books for less than $20.  I'd go through the box and save any books that I liked for myself and then donated the rest of the books to the pediatrician's office where I worked.  I now have two shelves of children's books for my first child that's on the way.  Another great option is thrift stores where you can buy books for less than $1.

• Options
    imagediscobelle:

Don't ask people to buy you a book in addition to a regular gift. That's rude.

If you'd like books as gifts, just add them to your registry like you would anything else and let people buy them if they choose.

This. This must be some kind of new trend or something because it seems like a lot of people are posting about this recently.

• Options
    Seriously, I don't know how many times I've seen this: "In lieu of a card, bring a favorite storybook to help build baby?s first library! to help build baby?s first library!"
  • Options

I would just register for books. 

Most showers I have attended people will throw in a book in the gift bag without being told to do so.

I have a problem writing in books 1) it defaces the book and 2) it is not returnable. 

I have been invited to some showers that requested this and have always brought a book although I did not bring it "in place" of a card.  I like to give a card.  I really don't think most people throw them away (at least not my family or friends)...they are put in the babybox.  I have all my kids cards up to the age of 5...then I just save those from grandparents.  I actually have cards my mom got when I was born in my baby book.  I love looking at how different they are from what we can purchase now...plus all the sweet things people wrote in them.

• Options
    I cannot believe the negativity about bringing a book in place of a card!  No one said it had to be a hardcover classic.  As an educator, I think any time you can bring literacy into a child's life is a great idea.  If the invitation requests this, you can factor that into the amount you spend on a gift, if expense is what is stopping you.  There are also plenty of inexpensive options out there!
  • Options

imagetracey0310:
    I cannot believe the negativity about bringing a book in place of a card!  No one said it had to be a hardcover classic.  As an educator, I think any time you can bring literacy into a child's life is a great idea.  If the invitation requests this, you can factor that into the amount you spend on a gift, if expense is what is stopping you.  There are also plenty of inexpensive options out there!

In all of these posts, no one is ever advocating for an illiterate child.  What we are saying is that it is impolite to tell people what to give as a gift and to tell them to bring more gifts than they were planning on in the first place.  If you want to receive books as a gift for the baby, register for them.

Also, I must point out, having a room full of books does not ensure that the parents are going to be reading to the child. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

I hosted a baby shower for a friend last year who wanted to do this and I didn't feel rcomfortable including it on the shower invitation.  Most childrens books are more expensive than a card.  I often give a book as a gift but I didn't want to stipulate what guests were to bring.

• Options
    I think its perfectly acceptable.  I have received several invitations with this request, and my mom actually put it in my shower invite as well!!  If you think about it, people are most likely going to spend anywhere from $1-$5 on a card to go with the gift, and most places you can get a book in that price range as well.  If they already have kids, they can also go through the ones that their kids have out grown, pick them up at used book sales at schools or libraries.  That way they're giving a "card" that will be around for longer than a few months at most.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"