Eco-Friendly Family

FYI for those loving squash right now

I was just catching up on a few older posts, and I was noticing that a lot of us seem to be eating our share (and then some? Wink) of squash right now.  I thought I'd pass along a little tip that has helped me prepare squash faster and easier than the old way of roasting it in the oven, and it still tastes great.  I mostly use butternut and spaghetti squash, but I'm sure that this would work for other squashes too.

1. Wash the squash well
  2. Use a pointed knife to pierce the skin all over (similar to a potato if you have ever nuked a baked potato)...make sure to make plenty of holes to prevent any explosions.
  3. Place whole squash in a glass casserole dish (my 9x9 works really well for most squashes if you lay it in the pan diagonally) with ~1/2c (not sure on amt as I always just guess...just need enough to not evaporate completely during cooking)
  4. Microwave on high for 20-25min turning once to promote even cooking (if you don't get it quite soft enough once you've cut into it, I have put it back in the microwave for a couple more minutes w/o any problems)
  5. Remove from microwave and let cool enough that you can safely handle
  6. Cut in half, remove seeds and scoop out the insides
This has made squash, which was once a weekend treat or something from my freezer stash, a manageable, relatively quick supper for any night.  We eat a lot of butternut soup (almost like a chowder b/c it's so thick), and I also use the water that was used in cooking in the soup to capture any vitamins that may have cooked out into the water.

Re: FYI for those loving squash right now

• I use the same method- yum! We might need that soup recipe :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hmmm...Share my super secret Butternut squash soup recipe?  If I tell you, I'd probably have to kill you.  Oh, but you DID respond to both of my posts already this a.m.   Oh, ok!  Big Smile  What the heck!

It's actually pretty simple.  I "created" it myself (maybe other similar recipes out there but I didn't use one) b/c most of the recipes that I found had pumpkin pie type spices in them, and I HATE pumpkin pie.  I actually dumped a huge pot of soup once b/c there was no way I could eat it.  It was probably very good if you like that sort of thing.

So any who...

1. Microwave squash (see above)
    2. Peel & chunk up a few potatoes (kind of depends on how much soup you want, usually 3-4 large or 4-5 medium), a couple of celery stalks and an onion or two
    3. Bring potatoes, onions, celery, garlic (to taste), salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to boil in stock pot (I use 32oz chicken broth, but you could use veggie stock or even water or a combo of the above) and simmer until veggies are soft
    4. Once microwave is free, zap 1/2 pkg of frozen carrots, 1/2 pkg of baby carrots or a couple of peeled & chunked fresh carrots w/a couple TBSP of water (I do this b/c carrots take so much longer to cook on the stove than the other veggies)
    5. Add carrots (& the water), squash & a can of evaporated milk to stock pot & blend with an immersion blender
    6. Add chunks of ham or smoked sausage (if desired, it's good w/o it too) and reheat
    7. Use instant mashed potatoes to thicken (if desired, although I don't usually need to do this part and I like a super thick chowdery soup)
    ETA: I use a 2-3lb squash and this recipe, and it makes a HUGE pot of soup.  We're big eaters at our house, and I can usually serve this as a stand alone meal and get two suppers or at least a supper and a lunch out of it.

• Loading the player...
  • imageCD+AL:

Hmmm...Share my super secret Butternut squash soup recipe?  If I tell you, I'd probably have to kill you.  Oh, but you DID respond to both of my posts already this a.m.   Oh, ok!  Big Smile  What the heck!

It's actually pretty simple.  I "created" it myself (maybe other similar recipes out there but I didn't use one) b/c most of the recipes that I found had pumpkin pie type spices in them, and I HATE pumpkin pie.  I actually dumped a huge pot of soup once b/c there was no way I could eat it.  It was probably very good if you like that sort of thing.

So any who...

1. Microwave squash (see above)
    2. Peel & chunk up a few potatoes (kind of depends on how much soup you want, usually 3-4 large or 4-5 medium), a couple of celery stalks and an onion or two
    3. Bring potatoes, onions, celery, garlic (to taste), salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to boil in stock pot (I use 32oz chicken broth, but you could use veggie stock or even water or a combo of the above) and simmer until veggies are soft
    4. Once microwave is free, zap 1/2 pkg of frozen carrots, 1/2 pkg of baby carrots or a couple of peeled & chunked fresh carrots w/a couple TBSP of water (I do this b/c carrots take so much longer to cook on the stove than the other veggies)
    5. Add carrots (& the water), squash & a can of evaporated milk to stock pot & blend with an immersion blender
    6. Add chunks of ham or smoked sausage (if desired, it's good w/o it too) and reheat
    7. Use instant mashed potatoes to thicken (if desired, although I don't usually need to do this part and I like a super thick chowdery soup)

ETA: I use a 2-3lb squash and this recipe, and it makes a HUGE pot of soup.  We're big eaters at our house, and I can usually serve this as a stand alone meal and get two suppers or at least a supper and a lunch out of it.

This sounds awesome! I'm so making it.

• I never would have thought about cooking squash in the microwave! Are the seeds gross to remove once it's cooked whole like that?
  • imageSoyager:
    I never would have thought about cooking squash in the microwave! Are the seeds gross to remove once it's cooked whole like that?

Nope...You just scoop them right out with a spoon.  It's easier than scooping it out raw too.  That's why I love this method: faster, easier to cut, easier to peel & easier to remove the seeds.  Since I started doing it this way, we eat squash significantly more bc it's not such a hassle.

• We don't use a microwave but I do this in the stove top and it takes about that time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"