Attachment Parenting
Options

NAPR (obviously) Happy New Year, Jewish Bumpies!

I hope you all party like it's 5772 -- because it is! Party!!!

Have a great New Year!

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NAPR (obviously) Happy New Year, Jewish Bumpies!

• Options
    Happy New Year to you as well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm not Jewish, but DH is. He's flying to see his parents with DD in tow tomorrow to celebrate the new year.

So I will start 5772 BY MYSELF for four wonderful days in my home for the first time since DD was born.

I want to shout it from the rooftops, but the AP board will do. Party like it's 5772, indeed!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Leshana Tova Tikoseiv Vesichoseim

Not Jewish myself, but DH is.  I apparently am not a very supportive wife, as I accidentally threw away his tickets to synagogue!  Luckily they let him in anyway.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    image5bears:

Not Jewish myself, but DH is.  I apparently am not a very supportive wife, as I accidentally threw away his tickets to synagogue!  Luckily they let him in anyway.

Oops! Once, when I was young and broke and not a member of a synagogue, I was looking for a "free service," and someone gave me a time and a temple, and it was the children's service! Nothing is more humilating than showing up to an event for children with NO children. They all had toy shofars, etc. It was YEARS ago, but I'll never forget it!

P.S. I don't "practice" any religion now, but I really appreciate the culture.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Options
    imageshaindelr:
    image5bears:

Oops! Once, when I was young and broke and not a member of a synagogue, I was looking for a "free service," and someone gave me a time and a temple, and it was the children's service! Nothing is more humilating than showing up to an event for children with NO children. They all had toy shofars, etc. It was YEARS ago, but I'll never forget it!

I'm obviously not Jewish, but you have to PAY to go to the synagogue?!? That's shocking to me! Is it all of them or just some? Can't wrap my mind around that, sorry...

• Options
    imageshaindelr:
    image5bears:

I'm obviously not Jewish, but you have to PAY to go to the synagogue?!? That's shocking to me! Is it all of them or just some? Can't wrap my mind around that, sorry...

• Options
    imageanna7602:

I'm not Jewish, but DH is. He's flying to see his parents with DD in tow tomorrow to celebrate the new year.

So I will start 5772 BY MYSELF for four wonderful days in my home for the first time since DD was born.

I want to shout it from the rooftops, but the AP board will do. Party like it's 5772, indeed!

I am so jealous Anna, I should have married a jew. On a related note, I got DH to pick up DD from the child minder tonight (which will be really late but DD enjoys it there) so I can go an see a really good and old friend who I haven't seen for 5 years! I am so excited. Oh and she isn't jewish either, but I'm sure we can find an excuse to party anyway.

Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • Options
    imageNightmareWedding:
    imageshaindelr:
    image5bears:

This isn't any weirder than paying to belong to any church. Plenty of religions require tithing or ask for a weekly contribution at services/mass. Churches and synagogues have expenses to cover. My ILs are year-round members of their synagogue and pay some fee for that, in return, they get to attend high holiday services. DH, however, is not a member of any synagogue around here, so he either attends services with his family at their home synagogue or he pays to attend high holiday services here in NY.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageanna7602:
    imageNightmareWedding:
    imageshaindelr:
    image5bears:

This isn't any weirder than paying to belong to any church. Plenty of religions require tithing or ask for a weekly contribution at services/mass. Churches and synagogues have expenses to cover. My ILs are year-round members of their synagogue and pay some fee for that, in return, they get to attend high holiday services. DH, however, is not a member of any synagogue around here, so he either attends services with his family at their home synagogue or he pays to attend high holiday services here in NY.

This, exactly. If you're not a "member," you need tickets to go to High Holy Day services. Instead of tithing like churches encourage, you pay a yearly membership, and often there are student, senior rates, etc. It's just a different way of doing things. Often, family memberships cover religious school for children or daycare, etc. I've seen some memberships even cover a great deal of funeral expenses if you should pass away.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"