2nd Trimester

C-section #2...easier or harder?

With my 1st child I had a C-section and it was pretty easy.  Painful, but easy.  With this baby we are planning on having a scheduled c-section.  I've heard that the second c-section is usually easier than the first.  Anyone agree with this?  I mean I know that they have more scar tissue to cut through and that it can be a little more difficult but as far as the healing goes, would you say it's easier?
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: C-section #2...easier or harder?

• im glad u posted this because this is wt is going to happen w me as well, i wanted to try VBAC but im still nervous on that.. sorry not much help huh but im wondering the same as u..  u should post this in the C-Section board as well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in the same boat as you, so no advice here.

But I would think it would be a bit harder only due to the scare tissue they need to cut through to get the baby out. That alone might make it harder to recover, IMO.

I was going to ask my OB the next time I went.

Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll have to let you know after March. :) But a friend of mine who had two c-sections said the second one was way easier and she recovered much quicker. I guess we'll see...
  • I have only heard that they are eaiser the 2nd time around. Good luck!!

• With my second c/s the procedure itself went really well, and I felt very calm and prepared so the whole having the baby part was wonderful. Recovery was pretty much the same for me; aside from having AWFUL gas pains after introducing food too early I think, and getting a slight infection at my incision site; neither of those things happened to me after my first. Here's hoping third time is a charm and this one goes better than either of my first two. :-)
  • My second c-section took a little longer because of all the scar tissue but the recovery was so much better. I was not nearly as sore as I was the first time. I was moving around pretty easily by the time I left the hospital. I definitely had an easier recovery all around.
  • I had a C-section with #1 and everything went smoothly. Recovery was relatively easy.

With #2, my doctor pushed me to try a VBAC because she said the recovery from a C-section with a toddler around it is much harder. That thought was enough to convince me. I had a successful VBAC with #2 and the recovery was long but manageable. I was able to lift my baby and toddler pretty much from the beginning.

With #3, I am planning a VBAC again, simply because I will have two toddlers to manage this time.

If you don't have medical restrictions, try to look into VBAC. It should allow you for an easier recovery. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! 

Shaadi: I've thought about a VBAC but the way I look at it is I've already been cut open and I know what to expect.  I would hate to rip in the process of having a VBAC and have 2 different scars.  On top of that, my dr told me I have a very narrow pelvis and tend to have larger babies.  I would have LOVED to a natural birth with my daughter and try again for the same thing this time.  I'm just really scared to try for a VBAC.  I'm glad that yours turns out so well!!!

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I felt the same way about VBAC.  I already have a scar, so why have another, right?  My c-section was easy too.  I didn't even feel much pain, either.  So when my doctor told me I can choose whichever I want this time, I was like, uh...  But I decided to try VBAC this time because we want another baby hopefully sooner than we were blessed with this one after our son.  I might end up having a c-section again, but to me it's worth trying.

I heard good stories and bad stories from my friends who had c-sections.  I hope everything will go smoothly for you!

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I heard the same. I would think though you will need to make a big effort not to over do it, which we all know with a toddler can be a bit of a challenge sometimes, especially since the best jungle gym is always mommy! LOL! I hope the rumors are true though, the last time I took no pain meds, I'm hoping for the same this time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Pretty much the same. First one was rougher at the beginning b/c I had been in labor and had to recover from that too.  The second one was easier at the beginning, but harder once I got home b/c I had another child at home.  It wasn't as easy to rest.  still, both times I felt much better after the first week and totally fine after 6 weeks.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"