2nd Trimester

Antibiotics while pregnant

Just had a wisdom tooth pulled because it was cracked and becoming bothersome.  The dentist prescribed an antibiotic and pain med.  Well the pain was Tylenol with Codeine which after researching I found it is not recommended for pregnant women.  I was planning on sticking with regular Tylenol any ways but it is so frustrating for them to even prescribe something I shouldn't be taking.  Then the pharmacist told me that there is a small chance of being allergic to the antibiotic cephalexin because I'm allergic to penicillin.  I told them I don't even want to take a small chance so they are getting it changed.  I'm to the point where I don;t want to take anything but Tylenol.   I would really like to skip the antibiotic all together.  I don'[t know.  Anyone else have dental work done or prescribed antibiotics while pregnant and allergic to penicillin?
image BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Antibiotics while pregnant

• I was put on amoxicillin for bronchitis....I'm not allergic to penicillin, but I am allergic to erythromycin. Apparently, they usually put pregos on erythromycin because the doctor had to actually look up the other option in the computer. 
    Licensed Massage Therapist and First Time Mom
  • Just call the dentist and have them prescribe you another antibiotic.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemabenner1:
    Just call the dentist and have them prescribe you another antibiotic.

This!! I definitely wouldn't take what they originally supplied.  It is in the drug group cephalosporins and cephalosporins and penicillins have a high cross-sensitivity rating.  I'm allergic to penicillin as well and my doctors just automatically avoid the entire penicillin drup group along with the cephalosporin drug group.

• Dentists are not typically as up on prenatal drugs as OBs are obviously.  I would call my OB office and ask which Antibiotic to take.  I had to take a antibiotic for strep throat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just call your OB and ask about the pain meds and to see if they can recommend an antibiotic-that is what they are there for. 

I was on vicodine and IV antibiotics in the first trimester due to surgery.  I discovered that while they tell you not to take most things, they generally are safe, they just want want to monitor what you actually are taking. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on cephalexin at the beginning of my pg. I am also allergic to pen. It was fine and there was no reaction. Its something you have to weigh out. Another med they can give you is the Z-Pack. I was just on it myself.

My OB did say that being pg and antibotics there are NOT many they can give us. So really you take what you can,.....

Also I was given a cough med with codeine, and although its a class C my OB still gave it to me. So don't be to angry with the dentist becuase OB's give that to. Also I asked about codeine on here and found a few other woman whose OBs gave it to them as well.

I took it sparely and as needed. My OB did say it was safe, maybe because I was far along, I am really not sure.

Good luck, hope that helped

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kind of a related question, my wisdom tooth is infected right now, have a dr apt on Monday, but I know I need it pulled.  Did you go under????  I am such a scaredy cat that I want to be out, but I figured that was not an option for us preggers, Just curious on your experience.
  • Even though your dentist might not be up on what meds are safe during pregnancy, your pharmacist is.  If you tell him you are pregnant he cal also advise as to what is safe.

Many women take Vicodine/Codeine during pregnany.  I had it in cough syrup with DD.  I would double check with your ob but would def take it after a wisdom tooth pull.

Formerly **eco**4k posts down the sh*tter Chart
  • imagemadalien:
    Kind of a related question, my wisdom tooth is infected right now, have a dr apt on Monday, but I know I need it pulled.  Did you go under????  I am such a scaredy cat that I want to be out, but I figured that was not an option for us preggers, Just curious on your experience.

I was told by my dentist that the state of Texas doesn't allow them to put you under so I was awake.  I'm also a scaredy cat because my last experience wiht having a tooth pulled was terrible.  I felt them pull it out because I don't think they allowed for time for me to go numb.  Then they chipped another tooth while doing it.  The wisdom tooth was a breeze!  All I felt was a little pressure and it was out within minutes.  The anxiety of having it pulled was far worse than actually having it pulled.  I wish i would have done it sooner and not put it off.     

• imageSept1799:

I was on cephalexin at the beginning of my pg. I am also allergic to pen. It was fine and there was no reaction. Its something you have to weigh out. Another med they can give you is the Z-Pack. I was just on it myself.

My OB did say that being pg and antibotics there are NOT many they can give us. So really you take what you can,.....

Also I was given a cough med with codeine, and although its a class C my OB still gave it to me. So don't be to angry with the dentist becuase OB's give that to. Also I asked about codeine on here and found a few other woman whose OBs gave it to them as well.

I took it sparely and as needed. My OB did say it was safe, maybe because I was far along, I am really not sure.

Good luck, hope that helped

The dentist asked what I normally take and I said the Z pack.  I haven't taken it since I've been pregnant but at least it is something I've taken before.  He still prescribed the other and I just don't want to take the chance while pregnant.  If I wasn't pregnant, I would take it and find out.  The pharmacist had requested a change in the meds by the dentist since I said I wouldn't chance it.   Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"