Cloth Diapering
Options

Nighttime leaks, what was I doing wrong?

I have for the last month or two been using a BG4 with a regular microfiber insert and a newborn insert for nighttime diapering and it's generally enough but last night it leaked out the back after 4 hours and then again after about 3 hours.  

I'm not sure if the regular insert was in front of or behind the newborn one, does it make a difference?  The diaper is pretty tight around the waist, maybe a little two tight?

Are BG4's generally good for overnight? They are the only diapers I have and I'd like to avoid buying more, but I'd also like to avoid 2 diaper/clothes/sleeping sack changes in the night also :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nighttime leaks, what was I doing wrong?

• Options

What is the newborn insert made of?

I don't think there's such thing as too tight.

I'd add another insert and see if that solves the problem.

• Options
    Are the inserts soaked when you change him?  If so, you need more stuffing - I'd invest in some hemp.  If not, it's either a fit issue or repelling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are the inserts saturated?  If so, I'd try adding more absorbency.  If it were me, I'd stuff with hemp inserts instead.  Or you can try using one hemp insert underneath one of the BG microfiber inserts. 
  • Options

The newborn insert is also microfiber.

I forgot to mention that the inserts weren't soaking.  I don't think it is a repelling issue, I use diaper cream at night (butt paste) but I always use a liner.  I suppose I could try stripping them, does it make sense to strip a lot of diapers at once?  I have 6 diapers dedicated to nighttime use and if the butt paste got onto two diapers it probably got onto all of them.

The inserts were pushed down pretty far, probably a little too far, could this cause the issue?

I don't know if another insert will fit without stretching the PUL layer.  I haven't seen any hemp inserts, are they slimmer?  

• Options
    imageTokenFemale:

The newborn insert is also microfiber.

I forgot to mention that the inserts weren't soaking.  I don't think it is a repelling issue, I use diaper cream at night (butt paste) but I always use a liner.  I suppose I could try stripping them, does it make sense to strip a lot of diapers at once?  I have 6 diapers dedicated to nighttime use and if the butt paste got onto two diapers it probably got onto all of them.

The inserts were pushed down pretty far, probably a little too far, could this cause the issue?

I don't know if another insert will fit without stretching the PUL layer.  I haven't seen any hemp inserts, are they slimmer?  

You can try putting some water on the diaper to see if it gets absorbed or if it repells. My LO started moving around in her sleep at about 5 months (lifting her legs up in the air) and the pee would come out the top back. We ended up switching to fitteds and wool. Hemp is a lot slimmer. It should go under the microfiber, as microfiber absorbs faster and hemp holds more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"