Pre-School and Daycare

thomas the train question

Okay, can someone explain the difference between the Take n' Play trains and the ones that operate on the wooden tracks?  I got a Take n' Play Toby on clearance a while ago for a song but it looks like it would work on the wood set (we have a Thomas train table).  Is this just a marketing gimmick or does one genuinely not work on the other?  TIA!

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: thomas the train question

• My sons could make it work!  But they are obsessed.  Take & Play are meant to work on small plastic tracks so the actual trains are smaller.  This is an example: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tidmouth Sheds.  The idea is these tracks fold up easily and can easily be taken and played with.  

With that said I've noticed the wooden trains and the Trackmaster plastic trains work well on both the wooden and plastic tracks.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • We have both. The metal take and play ones are smaller and don't technically fit on the tracks, but my boys make it work. More often than not, they just roll them on the floor anyway. :P

We have three of the little fold up sets, so they'll put them on those too.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate Thomas.  We have like six different sets of trains and tracks.  We have some wood track and trains (which I like best), then trackmaster Thomas which doesn't work with any other Thomas Trains, plus Take-n-Play Thomas trains and tracks.  The wood Thomas and the TNP THomas will connect through magnets but the track sizes are different and the trains won't work *well* on the other track.  The wood trains are longer and won't make the turns on the TNP track without tipping, and the TNP trains are narrower than the rails on the wood track.

I wish I had picked one style and returned the rest when I had the chance.  I would have chosen wood trains of all brands (Melissa and Doug, Target, Ikea, Thomas, Chuggington), and tracks since virutally all wood tracks go together.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"