Northern California Babies

Business q - would you do this?

I was invited to join a collective.  I'd have to commit to 12 shifts a month and participate in at least one group meeting a month, which means taking one less private client a month.  It would shave only about 4 hours off what I currently do in solo practice, so the time commitment is about the same, but offers the benefit of having a more predictable schedule.  It only pays about 58% of what I make in solo practice (but also pays nothing if nothing happens during my shift, so potentially I'd make squat).

At first I was really excited about a joint venture.  Now I'm not so sure about the rather substantial loss in income.

Re: Business q - would you do this?

• it doesnt sound like it has any benfits for you? i dont think i would do it. Unless there are some major positives that i am missing?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsJulieT:
    So the only benefit I'm seeing from this is the more predictable schedule. Does this mean that your clients would joint the group and know that they might get any of you when the time comes vs a specific person? I personally think you'll be more successful staying solo because people hire you because they want YOU. Does that make sense?

This would be my opinion as well. If I were hiring a doula I would want her not a group of people. And what if the collective has you at a birth and your client goes into labor? I know the odds of that are rare, but still. It also doesn't sound like you would gain much money by doing it and maybe lose some.

• Loading the player...
  • Does the collective offer you any benefits, or business liability coverage? If not, I'd probably skip it. If you are able to generate sufficient business on your own it doesn't sound like you need them, other than the more predictable schedule.
  • If I were you I would not choose that route, as the benefits to yourself don't seem worthwhile vs all that you would be loosing.
  • You lose income, don't gain much time, and potentially you lose clients who don't want to take the risk that you won't be on call for their birth?  I'd skip it.
  • Benefits: Potentially the hours are great.  I can make my shift the 7pm-7am, which means I never have to worry about childcare.  If my own private client goes into labor, I'm free to leave the birth and have another person from the collective fill in if she can.  I would also be mentoring a student, so in the future I know I'd have back-up to call on who work exactly as I do (or can -- there's a huge variance with what one gets with a doula, from ones who see their role as passive "holding the space" and others who are body workers, and everything between).  I recently was backed up by someone who I thought worked as I do, but turned out to be much different.  So, one benefit would be a little more control in that.

A client of the collective is either one who can't afford the fee of a private doula, but doesn't want a student (we would have students in the collective, but they would be mentored and overseen by an experienced one), or who wants a doula but doesn't mind who she sees and isn't bothered by a shift change.

• With the substantial decrease of income the hours would have to be incredibly important to me.  I can see the benefit of not needing to fill that childcare gap since basically you need an on call type of childcare situation right?  With daytime hours how much of that are your boys in school now?  Do you currently have a childcare situation that is working for you or is that a struggle?  I guess it's easy for us to see the reduction in income and say no way but if you are paying a substantial amount out in childcare then that income reduction is not as great as it first appears, correct?
  • On-call child care is the toughest part of my job.  I rarely have more than a few hours notice, and I often get voice mail rather than a human when I need to call potential sitters.  I've never been without a sitter before I have to leave, since my mom can almost always fill in if I can't get someone more local, but it can get stressful waiting for people to return my call. Now, with both boys in school until noon daily, it's a bit easier, since I only have to find someone to cover 1-5 instead of 9-5.  People always say "yes, call me, I'd love to help" until you actually call and they realize it's possible they'd have the boys ALL day :)  So, while there is a daycare cost, it's not as high as it used to be.  For awhile I was paying a retainer fee to a daycare provider who was willing to be on-call, but when it came down to it, she rarely returned calls the same day.  

• imageCelyn:

Benefits: Potentially the hours are great.  I can make my shift the 7pm-7am, which means I never have to worry about childcare.  If my own private client goes into labor, I'm free to leave the birth and have another person from the collective fill in if she can.  I would also be mentoring a student, so in the future I know I'd have back-up to call on who work exactly as I do (or can -- there's a huge variance with what one gets with a doula, from ones who see their role as passive "holding the space" and others who are body workers, and everything between).  I recently was backed up by someone who I thought worked as I do, but turned out to be much different.  So, one benefit would be a little more control in that.

A client of the collective is either one who can't afford the fee of a private doula, but doesn't want a student (we would have students in the collective, but they would be mentored and overseen by an experienced one), or who wants a doula but doesn't mind who she sees and isn't bothered by a shift change.

This sounds awesome, mostly bc it opens the doors for people to use you/a doula who couldn't otherwise afford it.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"