September 2011 Moms

Question about BFing... having trouble. advice plz!

my LO is 6 days old and we got a slow start on BFing. it hasnt been easy and we keep running into issues. I was using a nipple shield in the hospital but weaned off of it as of the last day or so. Because she was a little jaundice the LC is having me supplement formula with a syringe.

Yesterday I didnt need formula at all because she was eating so well on the breast. Sometimes I have to fight really hard to keep her awake, so ill let her go back to sleep when she hasnt finished a feeding. If she is hungry, will she wake up crying? because she never does, and i have to wake her up to get her to eat.

Also, any advice for getting a good latch? Even when i run my nipple down her nose and lips she doesnt open very wide, and now that my nipples are standing up more because of frequent feedings she just grabs the nipple and it HURTS.

Today she has had a couple sessions where she will let out a cry in between sucks but continues to stay latched. what does this mean? when i hand express it is coming out fine, but is my supply not enough?

How long is a full feeding supposed to be, and should i pump to increase my supply when she doesnt eat well? I feel so stressed and have a lot of anxiety because i just want to know that she is eating well. any advice?

Re: Question about BFing... having trouble. advice plz!

• My biggest advice is to either seek out a lactation consultant or a LLL chapter near you!
    I like privacy. A lot.
  • I agree with seeking out an LC to help with the latch.. Ive had to unlatch and relatch DS because when hes sleepy hell just grab nipple.. Also jaundice makes babies sleepy so try and do what you can to wake her and keep her awake.. strip her to a diaper and use a wet cool/cold cloth if you have to. The only way to help get out the bilirubin is to poop (which is why they like to give formula) just feed feed feed when you can.. I made sure to wake ds up every two hours in the early weeks just to make sure he ate..
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely seek out an LC.  Your supply may not be as strong of a flow while LO is feeding, which could explain why she cries when still latched (she's not getting any milk).  It's tough to diagnose because the first 2-3 weeks of breastfeeding (from what I'm told) are an adjustment period not only for you and your child, but for your body as well.  Your body is working to regulate your supply and demand based on how often you feed, so what could be a problem one day will resolve itself the next and another problem may pop up.  I think the LC will be able to quell your anxiety and provide some helpful tips.

In terms of full feeding times, mine last anywhere from 25-45 minutes.  I feed him from both breasts and try to last at least 10-15 each side.  Nighttime feedings tend to last longer because he's groggy, but I've learned that patience merits longer times between feedings at night and a more satisfied baby.  But feeding times/frequency is different for every baby, so it's hard to compare your feedings to another.  Your LC may encourage you to pump to increase supply, but the best thing to increase supply is frequent feedings, as your baby is the best signal to your body to produce more milk, as their latching is stronger than a pump.

Good luck, and know that you're not alone with breastfeeding issues..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"