TTC after 35

Things I learned today

1. My new AMH number has nothing to do with the old one, because they changed the test. Hmm, pretty much negates all those correlation studies that have been done up to now. As I scientist, I find this very strange and not helpful. But at least it got me in my clinical trial!

2. My RE is nice and is making me feel optimistic about my chances of success with IVF. He actually called me "young" by their standards. Aw.

3. While I had before my consent visit today pretty strong feelings about not wanting twins (like never, ever, ever!), my RE dished out some pretty strong words and pamphlets giving very convincing reasons why we should do SET if all things are looking good at a 5dt. I am glad to be on the same page with him and my DH.

4. I am more on the fence as ever about whether or not I buy the single cycle or the insurance plan of multiple cycles upfront. I need to decide soon, because I need to pay them ASAP.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

Re: Things I learned today

• Wow! Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of info. and the AMH test being "changed" is rather strange. That makes me question the reliability of some of these tests. 

Good to know you and your RE are on the same page in so many ways. This will help as you go through the process.

When does your new job start? :) 

ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagesolarflare:

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of info. and the AMH test being "changed" is rather strange. That makes me question the reliability of some of these tests. 

Good to know you and your RE are on the same page in so many ways. This will help as you go through the process.

Yeah, I wish he had elaborated more on how the AMH test changed, but I asked about it off hand towards the end of the meeting, and we had to get on with signing our forms.

This is quite tricky. I am counting on having a textbook IVF cycle since my first day on the job is the day after a hypothetical 5dt (ET being 10/31 and first day being 11/1). I really, really, don't want to have to delay my first day. That could be more than awkward. At least I will be very preoccupied during my TWW.

DS born 07/29/12

• Loading the player...
  • imageamandaleigh1:
    imagesolarflare:

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of info. and the AMH test being "changed" is rather strange. That makes me question the reliability of some of these tests. 

Yeah, I wish he had elaborated more on how the AMH test changed, but I asked about it off hand towards the end of the meeting, and we had to get on with signing our forms.

This is quite tricky. I am counting on having a textbook IVF cycle since my first day on the job is the day after a hypothetical 5dt (ET being 10/31 and first day being 11/1). I really, really, don't want to have to delay my first day. That could be more than awkward. At least I will be very preoccupied during my TWW.

Oh geez. I so hope the timing works out for you. Starting a new job I know we all feel a lot of pressure to be a perfect employee.  That is great - the 2WW is gonna fly.

ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageamandaleigh1:

1. My new AMH number has nothing to do with the old one, because they changed the test. Hmm, pretty much negates all those correlation studies that have been done up to now. As I scientist, I find this very strange and not helpful. But at least it got me in my clinical trial!

2. My RE is nice and is making me feel optimistic about my chances of success with IVF. He actually called me "young" by their standards. Aw.

3. While I had before my consent visit today pretty strong feelings about not wanting twins (like never, ever, ever!), my RE dished out some pretty strong words and pamphlets giving very convincing reasons why we should do SET if all things are looking good at a 5dt. I am glad to be on the same page with him and my DH.

4. I am more on the fence as ever about whether or not I buy the single cycle or the insurance plan of multiple cycles upfront. I need to decide soon, because I need to pay them ASAP.

Ok I would love to hear more about this. DH and I reeeeally don't want twins. I'm on the fence regarding how many embies to transfer.  We will definitely look at the quality, but we're leaning towards just a single.  My RE doesn't recommend that due to my age (40).  So scared to do more than one, but I also want this to work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck with everything!
  • imagemikey&amie:
    Ok I would love to hear more about this. DH and I reeeeally don't want twins. I'm on the fence regarding how many embies to transfer.  We will definitely look at the quality, but we're leaning towards just a single.  My RE doesn't recommend that due to my age (40).  So scared to do more than one, but I also want this to work.

The stern warnings and pamphlets containing statistics were for patients who have really nice 5d embryos and are 37 and under. I think if I were over 37, my RE would probably have been toning the speech down and/or not giving it at all. According to my same pamphlet, SART and ASRM both conclude that 2 is appropriate for 38-40 year olds.

Oh, I also want to mention, that the stats about twin rates and 2 embryo transfers for 37 and under in my pamphlet were specific to my clinic.

I would like to mention the stats though, because they are startling:

In 2008-2009 they did 210 1 embryo transfers and 583 2 embryo transfers in patients 37 and younger

Pregnancy rates for 1 embryo transfer: 66%, 2 embryo transfer: 67%

Percentage twins for 1 embryo transfer: 1%, 2 embryo transfer: 49%

Whoa.

DS born 07/29/12

• imageamandaleigh1:

The stern warnings and pamphlets containing statistics were for patients who have really nice 5d embryos and are 37 and under. I think if I were over 37, my RE would probably have been toning the speech down and/or not giving it at all. According to my same pamphlet, SART and ASRM both conclude that 2 is appropriate for 38-40 year olds.

Oh, I also want to mention, that the stats about twin rates and 2 embryo transfers for 37 and under in my pamphlet were specific to my clinic.

I would like to mention the stats though, because they are startling:

In 2008-2009 they did 210 1 embryo transfers and 583 2 embryo transfers in patients 37 and younger

Pregnancy rates for 1 embryo transfer: 66%, 2 embryo transfer: 67%

Whoa.

Wow, that's amazing.  If I was 37, I would most definitely do a single, but my age (gah!) does complicate things.  Thanks for the info, that was very helpful.  GL to you!

• imageamandaleigh1:

It is nice to be called young.  I have concerns about twins too.  I am 4' 10" and I have asthma.  From a baby prespective I would welcome twins but from the perspective of having trouble carrying two babies it could be dangerous for both me and the babies.  My fertility clinic advises against twins but I am going to trust my RE and go with whatever she recommends.  They do have a very low number of twins at that practice but great success rates at getting women pregnant with one.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageamandaleigh1:

Whoa.

WHOA. 49%. That's nuts. I think I could handle twins. My neighbor just had identical twin girls, and I see how hard it is. But at 6 months, they're doing fine. Raising them doesn't scare me, but the potential complications during pregnancy terrify me. 

This is really fascinating, thanks for posting.

And I love that your RE called you young! That's the best feeling.

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"