Blended Families
Options

Can't figure out what to get SS for his birthday

SS is going to be 5 in two weeks and we still have no idea what to get the kid! We've been very back and fourth about getting the leapster explorer or leap frogs new tablet. But they have very mixed reviews, it seems each newer system becomes less educational than the last. Plus I think he would outgrow it in a couple years, and the new tablet runs $100 before any extras.

I know what he really wants is a DS. He's had one at BMs since last Christmas. But we already have a hard time getting him interested in anything but tv and video games, especially during cold weather that I just don't think I'm up for that battle.

He's reached an age where is toys are age appropriate much longer, and he already has so many. He also wants a remote control helicopter (air hog), but everything I found is 8 and up. If he was turning 7 I'd consider it.

Are boys always this hard to shop for?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can't figure out what to get SS for his birthday

• Options

I'm not much help because I'm getting SS a DS for his birthday next month.  If it makes you feel any better I refused to buy him one last year.

SS had a leapster (the original one) and he stopped playing with it around age 4/5.

Another things I can think of that SS would like (maybe your SS would like something similiar) is a new bike, basketball goal, super cool nerf gun, etc.

• Options
    Why do you have to go with the age on the box?  I'd bet he'd love an Air Hog, and I know many kids his age who have them.  They need to be taught how to play with them without breaking them (we suffered one casualty), but it's a great toy for DH and SS to play with together.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FWIW, none of my kids have ever gone by the ages on the box.  They play with Legos, puzzles, board games all listed for kids years older. 
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options

imageJ&A2008:
    Why do you have to go with the age on the box?  I'd bet he'd love an Air Hog, and I know many kids his age who have them.  They need to be taught how to play with them without breaking them (we suffered one casualty), but it's a great toy for DH and SS to play with together.

Do you think 5 would be ok? I've read several reviews about how easily they break, and that the "recommended age" should actually be older. I guess it's hard to tell with those online reviews sometimes. His older (half) brother is 7, so I'm guessing he has one and that is why SS really wants one. I'll have to give it a little more consideration.

Ames - DH's grandma bought him a bike last year, and she bought him a kids basketball hoop somewhere along the way too. She buys him all the "big" stuff, without discussing it with us first, but that's a different post!

• Options
    imagehterry85:

imageJ&A2008:

Do you think 5 would be ok? I've read several reviews about how easily they break, and that the "recommended age" should actually be older. I guess it's hard to tell with those online reviews sometimes. His older (half) brother is 7, so I'm guessing he has one and that is why SS really wants one. I'll have to give it a little more consideration.

Ames - DH's grandma bought him a bike last year, and she bought him a kids basketball hoop somewhere along the way too. She buys him all the "big" stuff, without discussing it with us first, but that's a different post!

They are delicate, and you need a good space to fly them in, but they're also really cool.  I wouldn't have him play with it alone, but with you or DH, I think he can have fun with it and learn responsibility, too.

• Options
    Have you looked at the flying disc/flying saucer?  We haven't tried those but they seem a bit more durable by design.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:
    My SS is 8 and still cannot control the air hog to the point of not violently crashing into the ceiling. My suggestion is legos... SS loved and still loves his "city" legos.
  • Options

I have a family full of kids around that age, here are some ideas:

• Legos
    • Plasma car
    • Star Wars toys
    • Hot Wheel race track
    • Scooter
    • Remote control car (instead of the air hog)

• Options

imageJ&A2008:
    Have you looked at the flying disc/flying saucer?  We haven't tried those but they seem a bit more durable by design.

I'll look into that too.

I grew up with all sisters. "Boy" anything is foreign to me!

• Options
    My husband recently started liking the super fast toy cars. The ones that go 60+ mph. SS liked it, so he got him a truck that goes about 40 mph. They play with them all the time. S is 5. I doubt the box says 5+. Lol. He has been taught how to use it correctly ad not to run it into walls etc... I bet he would be fine w the air hog. But you know your SS better than we can tell you. We refuse to buy SS a DS. His mom got hi one when he wa 2. He has lost 2 of them. Ya. Not happening.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Options

We have a Leapster Explorer and I agree with you, it is not very educational and I know my SIL says that she thinks her youngest learned math from the old Leapster.  If you get it I would spend the extra money and get the tablet.

My DS is not huge into toys, he rarely plays the Leapster but will sit with my damn iPod touch forever.  He loves arts and crafts but I know many boys don't.  He has a remote control car he likes, it had big wheels and they rotate all ways, it flips over and is pretty cool, I don't remember the brand but will try to remember to check tomorrow...it is not a popular brand.  He still really likes Play Doh, messy but he was playing it with it today.  For Christmas he wants a Dippin Dots ice cream maker which gets poor reviews, a Snoopy Snow cone machine and an Easy Bake Oven, those will need adult supervision of course.  He also asked for a Playmobil set, the big pool with slide one.  And he now has a rock collection and was interested in a rock tumbler, those are 8+ and I will skip it.  I am going to suggest a sled to my brother and SIL.  Oh, and he loves those science kits you can get at ACMoore and Michaels.  My Mom is probably going to get him a desk for Christmas.

Good luck, the problem with the age is they have everything age appropriate.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    imageLittlejen22:

We have a Leapster Explorer and I agree with you, it is not very educational and I know my SIL says that she thinks her youngest learned math from the old Leapster.  If you get it I would spend the extra money and get the tablet.

My DS is not huge into toys, he rarely plays the Leapster but will sit with my damn iPod touch forever.  He loves arts and crafts but I know many boys don't.  He has a remote control car he likes, it had big wheels and they rotate all ways, it flips over and is pretty cool, I don't remember the brand but will try to remember to check tomorrow...it is not a popular brand.  He still really likes Play Doh, messy but he was playing it with it today.  For Christmas he wants a Dippin Dots ice cream maker which gets poor reviews, a Snoopy Snow cone machine and an Easy Bake Oven, those will need adult supervision of course.  He also asked for a Playmobil set, the big pool with slide one.  And he now has a rock collection and was interested in a rock tumbler, those are 8+ and I will skip it.  I am going to suggest a sled to my brother and SIL.  Oh, and he loves those science kits you can get at ACMoore and Michaels.  My Mom is probably going to get him a desk for Christmas.

Good luck, the problem with the age is they have everything age appropriate.

SS asked for and loved the zoo playmobils for xmas last year (year 7).  They are age appropriate once snapped together by an adult...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"