High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone else with high AFP?

I don't think I'm technically "high risk" but I am being followed by an MFM and my OB for growth and pre-e.    My quad screen came back with very high AFP (normal is less than 2, mine was almost 9).    Typically this is an indicator of spina bifida (which usually is a level of 4-6) or fetal death - thankfully we had our a/s one week prior to this result coming back, and then we had a Level II u/s with the MFM and things look fine.   The MFM was very reassuring, saying that with a level as high as mine, they weren't expecting to see anything subtle - it would have been very, very bad (and traumatic).   I'm so grateful that things look good so far, but of course I have underlying concerns and anxiety.   They have told me that we may never know why my level was so high, but I will need follow up testing after I deliver to make sure there isn't anything wrong with me (liver/kidney issues).   Sometimes, high AFP can also be associated with IUGR or pre-e, so I will get monthly u/s's and towards the end, BPPs and NSTs.

Anyone else?   This is kind of freakishly rare, so probably not.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone else with high AFP?

• Options

My AFP was 4.5 (not nearly as high but thought I'd reply...) and after several Level II u/s they concluded I may have a "leaky placenta" instead of spina bifida concerns. They said IUGR was a risk until 30 weeks when DS was in the 85th percentile and my placenta was holding up well.

I had u/s at 18wks, 22wks, 30wks, 34wks and then tomorrow at 38wks. I've also had weekly NSTs since 30 wks but I also have high AFI levels now. It's nice to get all the u/s but they've found other concerns each time (high lateral ventricle, abnormal uterine artery, etc) so it's also been sort of stressful...

GL to you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageegankn:

My AFP was 4.5 (not nearly as high but thought I'd reply...) and after several Level II u/s they concluded I may have a "leaky placenta" instead of spina bifida concerns. They said IUGR was a risk until 30 weeks when DS was in the 85th percentile and my placenta was holding up well.

I had u/s at 18wks, 22wks, 30wks, 34wks and then tomorrow at 38wks. I've also had weekly NSTs since 30 wks but I also have high AFI levels now. It's nice to get all the u/s but they've found other concerns each time (high lateral ventricle, abnormal uterine artery, etc) so it's also been sort of stressful...

GL to you!!

Thanks for your reply!   That's interesting about the "leaky placenta" theory ... they did say that sometimes placenta issues can cause the elevated levels which is why they are monitoring me.   I haven't had any bleeding or anything, though.   I'm sorry they've found other issues with your son, I hope everything turns out okay!   

I have my first follow up u/s with the MFM tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping I'll stay with him for the u/s's since they are right next door to my OB (that's what the genetic counselor said she thought would happen, which makes me feel much better).    I have a lot of questions for him that have built up over the past month, so I'm looking forward to the appointment.   I absolutely LOVE this doctor, he's really wonderful.    

Good luck to you too, you're almost done!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKirsten.In.NH:
    imageegankn:

GL to you!!

Thanks for your reply!   That's interesting about the "leaky placenta" theory ... they did say that sometimes placenta issues can cause the elevated levels which is why they are monitoring me.   I haven't had any bleeding or anything, though.   I'm sorry they've found other issues with your son, I hope everything turns out okay!   

I have my first follow up u/s with the MFM tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping I'll stay with him for the u/s's since they are right next door to my OB (that's what the genetic counselor said she thought would happen, which makes me feel much better).    I have a lot of questions for him that have built up over the past month, so I'm looking forward to the appointment.   I absolutely LOVE this doctor, he's really wonderful.    

Good luck to you too, you're almost done!

Good luck on your appt tomorrow! I absolutely loved my MFM dr and I felt like my MW didn't see many patients with high AFP or high AFI so she can't answer all the questions as well.

Luckily all my other "issues" that came up during the pg have since been considered okay so the main concerns now are the high AFI and size of baby. My nurse at my 1st appt at 18 wks with the MFM even went as far as to mention abortion to us, so to get this far and know I'm meeting him soon is freaking awesome!

GL to you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"