Adoption
Options

Glee (adoption-related)

I love watching Glee, but I really didn't last night.  In case you don't watch it, last season two of the characters, Puck and Quinn, decide to choose adoption for their child.  The adoptive mom is actually the birthmom of Rachael - another character on the show. 

I liked that Puck wanted to get to know his daughter in last night's episode.  That was positive.  Puck even talked to Quinn about being involved in her (the baby's) life. 

I didn't like how the adoptive mom spoke so harshly to Quinn's character at times.  I also didn't like how the a-mom used the term "gave up her daughter" when she talked about Rachael's adoption.  No positive adoption language there.

The very end was that Quinn tells Puck they are going to fight the adoptive mom for full custody. 

I just wish they would show a positive angle on adoption.  I love that show, but it felt so negative to me last night. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Glee (adoption-related)

• Options

I thought the same thing.  Was there ever an official adoption?  I mean the woman just showed up at the hospital and Quinn just decided that she could have the baby.  They never showed her calling an an agency, speaking to an attorney, nothing.

I wonder if it was like a guardianship type of thing?

I actually said something to my husband along the lines of "oh, yeah - that is gonna send the wrong message about adoption"

• Options

I normally just lurk over here but I had to laugh because DH got pretty riled up at the end of the episode - especially because of some of the things Quinn said.  I wonder if they will use the lack of official "adoption" to create a plot twist this season.

Another question on Rachel's BM.  She keeps saying that she gave Rachel up for adoption but wasn't she a surrogate for Rachel's dads?  That was really confusing me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMamaB2009:

And to pp re: surrogacy.  Surrogacy in many states still requires an adoption to legalize the process once the baby is born.  Especially if it's a traditional surrogate (where the surrogate's egg is used and it is biologically her baby) vs. a gestational surrogate (where the surrogate is just a carrier).  I would assume since there are two fathers, unless they paid for IVF and an egg donor, she most likely used her own egg and one of their sperm or donor sperm.

I thought they would probably have to adopt but since I see the the intent of the pregnancy as different than typical adoption.  The baby wasn't ever meant to be "hers"... but of course there are emotions that maybe weren't expected that come up.  And, I always seem to forget, that it's TV and they do what is convenient for them :)

• Options
    How would it be possible to "get full custody"? It must not be an actual adoption....that's just wrong. BPs have no custody once an adoption is finalized.
  • Options

imageAuburnBride06:
    How would it be possible to "get full custody"? It must not be an actual adoption....that's just wrong. BPs have no custody once an adoption is finalized.

I know...I don't think it is possible unless like a pp mentioned, if she had some type of guardianship but didn't actually adopt the baby.  I'm  not sure.  I feel like I need to go back and re-watch that episode.

• Options
    I too was really turned off by this storyline. I know Glee is overall really unrealistic, but this is bugging me quite a bit. I used to be a faithful Glee watcher, and they really did gloss over any realistic adoption steps when the baby was born. 
    Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"