D.C. Area Babies
Options

How much does your full-time DC/pre-school cost?

So we've been given some thought to putting to putting DS in full-time DC next year with a pre-school component. Our in-home provider prefers babies so I think he will be moving on next year. I would prefer not to have to move him multiple times. There is a pre-school fair coming up in the next few weeks and I'm planning on attending.

But I'm a little worried that I have no idea whether we can even afford pre-school since it's not something people talk about. I'm going to feel really awkward finding a place I love then realizing it is way too expensive. I wish these things were more upfront.

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable putting the numbers out there.

How old is your child?

How much do you pay for pre-school?

Do they do full-time care?

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon

Re: How much does your full-time DC/pre-school cost?

• Options
    YGPM.  But I will say publicly pre-school is cheaper for us than infant care.  The teacher to student ratio is higher which can make the cost go down.
  • Options

Not in pre-school, but on dcum children's international school was recommended.  i looked at the prices and was....surprised.  I think it was about $1200 for a 2 year old that wasn't potty trained (cheaper if older and/or potty trained).

If I get a job next spring, we want to move sprout to a preschool in that fall. Could you give me details on this preschool fair?  (I assume it's for Arlington?)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

In my preschool research (preschool plus before and after care) seems to be in the $275-350 per week range. Also, most of the preschools seem to have a summer camp type component that is in the same price range.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

our daycare has a preschool room, which you have to be 3yrs old and fully PTed to get into. DD will turn 3 in 2 weeks and will transition to that room. right now she's in the 30mo-36mo room, and we pay $1290/mo. I know it'll go down in the next room but not sure by much, I expect maybe $40-50/mo or so.

• Options
    We were in the same situation with a DCP who preferred infants. We ended up going with an in-home that has a pre-school curriculum. The range in our area is $250 - $400.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The range I've seen is 1200-1400/mo. The caveat about freestanding preschools that aren't part of a daycare is that they usually have a lot more closures - winter break, spring break, a week off before and after "summer camp," and regular school holidays that aren't necessarily federal holidays. A couple of my coworkers have had to take a lot of days off work to cover for their kids' preschool closures. Just something to think about if you're contemplating a preschool vs. a daycare that also has a preschool.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We paid just about $1000/month for full day, all year round preschool (I think they may have gone up this year to $1100)...and yes, you should note the additional closures (though I didn't find it that much different from other day cares): in our case it was all federal holidays, a few days around the Christmas holidays, Good Friday (it was a Catholic preschool) and the last week of August and then any snow days.
  • Options

I think I know the pre-school fair you're talking about.  Just FYI - I think most of the preschools attending (or at least that have attended in the past) are not full-time.  I think that fair is for more "traditional" part-time schools that follow the school schedule and have lotteries (ugh) opening this fall/winter.  I'm planning to go b/c we're hoping we can do a 2 or 3 day/week program for DD next year.

I think that most of the information is available on the websites.  Creative playschool is one that I looked at - there are 2 different locations - and I recall in being in the $1400-$1600 range for toddlers.  

The full-time preschools I was most interested in before we hired our nanny - who we will most likely keep for a while -  had long waiting lists, so it definitely makes sense to start looking now.

• Options

Thanks for all the info. This pre-school thing is a whole other challenge that for some reason I thought would be further out, but it is sneaking up on me.

I have a list of the schools at the fair so I will research if any of them fit our needs. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time attending.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options

I made the mistake of having my mom attend one of those fairs for me because it was during the work day... which probably should have been a sign that the fair was not for working moms.

We pay $1100 a month for a private Montessori preschool, lunches are extra.  And like pp said, lots of days off.  Adds up to about five weeks a year, but we have family in the area for backup so it's not much of an issue.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"