Northern California Babies

Pumping to get my kiddo used to a bottle

I don't have to be back at work until late December, but people keep telling me that 4-6 weeks of age is the right time to start getting Cli used to taking a bottle.  Soooo...I broke out the manual pump today and am thinking I might just try to pump so he can get like 3 a week?...does that sound right?

Any suggestions?  I was going to pump both breasts after his morning feeding and then have my H try to give him that milk during our first middle-of-the-night feeding the same day.  Will it be okay for me to not pump while that bottle is given?  Is there any reason if I'm doing it this way at first for me to not just try to give him the medela bottles that I pump into?  Is nighttime feeding a good time or a terrible time to introduce a bottle?

If you want to suggest what I should do or tell me what you did to start pumping and introduce a bottle (I don't care about building a stash at all right now), I'd super appreciate it.  Please explain it to me like I'm 5 b/c I have no idea what I'm doing =/

TIA! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pumping to get my kiddo used to a bottle

• Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • The problem with skipping a pump when the baby takes a bottle is that your supply goes down because your body doesn't think the baby needs that milk. Is there a LC who runs a BFing support group in your area? If so I highly suggest going and getting advice there as well as gettting advice from Kellymom.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekittylove:
    The problem with skipping a pump when the baby takes a bottle is that your supply goes down because your body doesn't think the baby needs that milk. Is there a LC who runs a BFing support group in your area? If so I highly suggest going and getting advice there as well as gettting advice from Kellymom.
    I get the supply/demand thing...in fact, one of the reasons I've avoided pumping to date is b/c I don't want oversupply/engorgement.  If I'm pumping X oz for a bottle and he's eating those oz and I'm not pumping while he's eating those oz, then I'm only "demanding" what we need, right?

I'll look on KM too.  I did try looking there, but I think the link KM (ha!) posted will be where I needed to look and maybe didn't find in my initial search.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I introduced the bottle (Dr. Brown) at 3 week. Addie drank from it, and I figured all was good, so we didn't worry about trying the bottle consistently...flash forward to a few weeks later, and she didn't want the bottle anymore. :( It's like we're starting all over again. My husband does the bottles, and he completely got his feelings hurt when she refused. The bottle is working again (kind of) and we are making sure to consistently do it once a day. We're also trying to get others to give the bottle, like my mom, but it hasn't been working too well - we stop and break when she gets too upset. (It's making me worried about going back!!!!) So, I think I would give the bottle once a day.

My friend gave the Medela bottles and her baby started to refuse nursing. Her lactation consultant told her that the flow was faster in the bottle, and her baby no longer wanted to work for her milk. I would use Dr. Brown, Advent, or Breastflow (which I've heard are great).  You could also ask a Kaiser lactation consultant - they are great!

I haven't had a problem with milk supply... I'm not pumping consistently at the same time, just when I'm home and feel the tingles of letdown. I just do it once a day, and I have build up a little supply...so, I don't think you'll need to do more, but it depends on your body. I go back to work in a couple weeks, and am going to try and start pumping during the times I would be at work.

Jealous that you're off until December! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Most people introduce a bottle at 4-6 weeks, because many people return to work at the time.  It takes a very different skill set to suck from a bottle than from a boob, but it doesn't take long for babies to figure it out.  Pumps only remove about 70% of milk from your breast, so if you want to nurse after pumping, that's an option too if you aren't trying to build extra supply.  It isn't until 6-8 weeks pp that your breasts really start to regulate what is needed, so it's a delicate balance to mess with. 

In my experience, most babies will take a bottle from whomever is offering if mom is not available (but very often not from mom herself).  If you don't want to introduce it now, chances are, it will be fine.  You might want to build freezer stash at some point.  When that happens, make sure to label your stash with the time it was pumped.  The chemical cocktail of milk changes through the day, with sleep inducing ingredients at night and wakeful ingredients during the day.  Pumping at night for milk that will be offered in the daytime can throw off sleep patterns. 

• Also, lots of babies take perfectly well to a sippy cup between 4-6 months of age.  If you want to try that, you may never need to transition to a bottle if you don't need to head back to work until Dec. 
  • For J we introduced the bottle at 6 weeks successfully. He would go down and I would pump an hour or two later and get a full bottle. Then we'd go to bed and DH would do the entire first wake/feeding. I got more sleep, DH got to spend more bonding time and J took the bottle easily at night. When I went back to work we stopped that (didn't want to give up any time with J) and I missed the sleep :)
  • I intro'd the bottle early b.c my mom was here and I was tired, lol.  I pumped after each feeding until I had enough to do one whole feeding, then my mom (or Chris when it was Simon) gave the baby a mid-night feeding, usually the 3 AM one, my boys were super predictable 3 hour schedulers though... 6, 9, 12, 3, rinse and repeat!!  Same logic as you, I pumped it, he drank it, I didn't have issues with decrease in supply, and well, I was tired.  :)

Use whatever bottles you have.  He'll figure it out, he's smart like his Mama!  

Can't wait to meet him!!

xo

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My daughter took the bottle with no difficulty... she says FOOD? GIVE ME! I wish I had started pumping earlier and religiously to make a great stock pile. It is my biggest concern on a daily basis. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sounds like you've got a good plan S!  I agree with Ariel, I would pump during the time that T is feeding Clive.  Then you'll be able to use your morning pump session to build your supply and your evening (during bottle feeding) session as the replacement feeding.  GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • imageCelyn:

Most people introduce a bottle at 4-6 weeks, because many people return to work at the time.  It takes a very different skill set to suck from a bottle than from a boob, but it doesn't take long for babies to figure it out.  Pumps only remove about 70% of milk from your breast, so if you want to nurse after pumping, that's an option too if you aren't trying to build extra supply.  It isn't until 6-8 weeks pp that your breasts really start to regulate what is needed, so it's a delicate balance to mess with. 

In my experience, most babies will take a bottle from whomever is offering if mom is not available (but very often not from mom herself).  If you don't want to introduce it now, chances are, it will be fine.  You might want to build freezer stash at some point.  When that happens, make sure to label your stash with the time it was pumped.  The chemical cocktail of milk changes through the day, with sleep inducing ingredients at night and wakeful ingredients during the day.  Pumping at night for milk that will be offered in the daytime can throw off sleep patterns. 

Wow! Such great information! I haven't been labeling the time of pumping...going to start doing that ASAP! 

• Obviously you already got great advice. I have to say I was so obsessed with my supply and pumping during the bottle feeds that I never got any sleep. Sooo, it would be my advice to just sequester that feed to Todd, so you can get a block of sleep if you are exhausted. I used to yell at Bart for not waking me for a feed, so foolish. 

Also it is definitely better to get him used to the bottle now than to wait, it becomes a real problem for most kids and the mom can't go anywhere or do anything without the baby.

I had to get Elena on the bottle and it worked for me so even if the mom does it, it can work out just fine. I had the high lipase issue too, so after we figured that out it got a lot easier.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"