D.C. Area Babies
Options

Daycare advice/spreadsheet?

I know there is a daycare spreadsheet that is floating around, would someone mind posting it?

Also, how early is too early to start investigating? The women on DCUM are freaking me out. I am in Alexandria and did call St. Anthony's and was told that the WL is a year and a half long... so ridiculous. If anyone happens to know of any other great places in Alexandria, please let me know - and if anyone has successfully negotiated a part time spot anywhere, I would love to know how you did that. I have a while to figure this out, obviously, but want to make sure I'm not behind the curve.

Diagnosed with Stage IV Endo via Lap, 8/10
Started TTC, 11/10
Excision via Lap (60% of ovary removed), 5/11
IVF #1, 8/11 C/P :(
Surprise BFP, 9/6/11!
Betas, 179/307/1160
Heartbeat of 111, 9/26/11
Heartbeat of 176, 10/12/11
Confirmed GIRL!!!! 11/25/11
BabyName Ticker

Re: Daycare advice/spreadsheet?

• Options

Most centers I've heard of do have year/year and a half wait lists.  It wouldn't hurt to get on a few now.  A lot of people end up at in-home daycares or with nannies because they don't get off center wait lists in time.  Keep in mind that a lot of in-homes don't know their availability very far out and you can end up finding a space in the weeks after your LO is born.

imageimageimage
  • Options

Since many centers have such long wait lists, it's typical to try to find another arrangement (like in-home) until a spot becomes available.  There are a ton of choices, especially in Northern VA.  Don't panic!

Here is the spreadsheet I made with how folks found their daycare:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Aj1JxqE0aW0JcDZMaFhsTkk5RmRVMmNWeTBrQ05aZVE&output=html

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yes, i think every daycare center in Alexandria has a pretty significant wait list. Most are over a year and some are even longer. Do you have priority at any center through your work or your husband's work (Bright Horizons gives priority to certain government agencies and employers)?

Have you considered in-home daycare? Most of the time, providers won't know of openings until closer to your due date or closer to the end of your maternity leave (and often have part-time spaces). Many of us have had great experiences with in home providers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for the spreadsheet :)

Unfortunately, neither of us have priority at any center through work but my mom actually works somewhere where she would - I never even thought of it but I wonder if they give priority to grandparents? I guess I'm probably reaching :)

I would definitely consider in-home care.. I guess as you said I would have to wait until much later for that though.

Diagnosed with Stage IV Endo via Lap, 8/10
    Started TTC, 11/10
    Excision via Lap (60% of ovary removed), 5/11
    IVF #1, 8/11 C/P :(
    Surprise BFP, 9/6/11!
    Betas, 179/307/1160
    Heartbeat of 111, 9/26/11
    Heartbeat of 176, 10/12/11
    Confirmed GIRL!!!! 11/25/11
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageNewlywedInNewYork:

I would definitely consider in-home care.. I guess as you said I would have to wait until much later for that though.

When you get busy with getting on to center wait lists and figuring out baby furniture, registry stuff, doctor appointments, etc., you can think of it as one of the things you can thankfully put off until later ;)

imageimageimage
  • Options

I'm not sure where in Alexandria you are, but there is a list of in-home daycares in the Kingstowne/Franconia/Mt. Vernon areas at the link below. The in-home we use is listed on there (although I heard about it from a friend).

https://www.ccnkf.com/providers.html 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"