Food Allergy

tell me about cows milk alternatives

LO's face becomes a giant hive when he contacts cows milk.  Pedi suggested calcium-fortified rice milk until allergy testing, but I'm concerned about the lower amount of fat and protein.  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tell me about cows milk alternatives

• If your son eats well- he could probably get enough fat and protein from other sources that it didn't really matter.

Our son drinks a  combo of one big box of enriched rice milk to 2 cans of condensed coconut milk.  I actually made a spreadsheet to compare the alternatives and that was as close as I could get for calories/fat etc.  We saw a pedi. nutritionist that okayed it and that made me feel a lot better about our choice.  Now that his eating is better we're starting to lower the amount of coconut milk.  As he gets older we'll move to rice milk alone as long as he's getting enough fats in his diet. 

• Coconut milk has more fat than rice milk (this comes boxed also). Also, you can mix coconut oil into LOs food to up his good fat intake, but I'd talk to the nutritionist before you start this. I have an aunt that did this for her son after talking to their pedi.
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm probably repeating myself, but didn't read any responses..

My son has been on rice milk since he was 1 and his weight is good.  It does help that he loves avocados and he usually eats either 1/2 to 1 whole avocado per day (except this week -grr) which has so much good fats in it.   Fortified rice milk is ok, but you just have to watch his diet and make sure he's getting enough fats.

Once he gets tested you'll know if he can have PB or Almond butter (my son has milk/soy/egg/peanut allergy and he LOVES almond butter). 

Almond milk is delish (depending on his allergies).  We get it from trader joes and I LOVE it!

What about Soy? if you do go with soy, make sure it's organic.. I'm not a fan of soy products anymore, but it's a good alternative. 

Coconut milk is very fatty as well.

• Thanks ladies!  I appreciate your responses.

He does eat well, but he's already really skinny for his height (probably just him), so we've already been trying some of the good fat tricks, so I'll have to see how much more I can add.

So far, I've got him on 50-50 breastmilk/rice milk until I use up my freezer stash.  He also will take coconut milk and soy milk mixed with his cereal without any obvious reaction, but pedi wanted us to hold off on soy until allergy testing since there's so much cross-reactivity.  I'll have to see if he'll take the coconut 50-50 instead of the rice in bottles/cups.  Haven't tried almond milk because bad nut allergies run in the family.  I also saw that hemp milk has a decent amount of fat, but haven't tried it yet.

Now to cross fingers that he outgrows this.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"