Natural Birth

post delivery recovery

Hello ladies! I often lurked here, but never posted much. I just had my second DD last week. I went natural with both and felt pretty great afterwards. This time around my stomach has been a little more sore than with my first. I pushed way too quickly. I tried to slow it down, but I just wanted to push as hard as I could and I walked away with a second degree tear. I ended up getting stiches, and it seems it's taking me a little longer to recover this time around. I totally forgot to ask how long to continue sitz baths and no soap/wiping down below. How long until you started washing and using the bathroom normally post delivery (i.e. w/o the use of the peri-bottle, tucks, etc)? I just cannot remember from DD1.

TIA

Re: post delivery recovery

• I think a week or 2. I just went by how I felt and when the though of wiping didn't make me cring, I went for it. I started by just patting dry rather than traditional wiping (I had a 3rd degree tear). And I wouldn't be surprised if it is taking you longer to heal this time because you are also taking care of your older one instead of just relaxing with the baby. Congrats!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh and I stopped sitz baths around the same time
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the spray bottle for, what felt like, forever! Really...about 5-6 weeks. Eventually I just "felt" ready to pat dry with toilet paper and then graduated to a wipe. (I had a first degree tear and a laceration) I think I was ready before the 5-6 weeks, but wanted to be sure. I think because I waited so long there was almost no discomfort when I made the switch. Plus, when I was bleeding less (which took about 5-6 weeks) I didn't feel as dirty when I didn't use the spray bottle.

The Sitz bath I used 3 times a day for about 2 weeks, then 2 days a day for about 3 weeks, then just used it whever I felt sore...like I needed to soak my bottom in something warm!

I used the hospital pads for about a week, then heavy overnight pads for 2 weeks, then regular pads for another 3 weeks. Eventually I was only using a liner..then nothing.

The hemoir-oh jeez, I can never spell that, I am not going to try- I had a lot of discomfort with those. I used organic cabbage (tucked between my cheeks!) for about 2 weeks- it really helped. Eventually I had to get an RX cream that I used with an OTC cream. Those subsided completely by week 8.

My linea nigra, however, is holding on for dear life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • I ended up having an episiotomy b/c my midwife thought I would tear all the way if she let me go. I used the spray bottle, hospital pads, and Tucks pads for about 4 days, switched to regular pads for about a week, and then to pantiliners for about another 2 weeks. I just started wiping when it felt "okay" - probably after about 2 weeks.

As far as sitz baths - I was told to just sit in the tub for 20 minutes, 2-3 times per day.  Except that I had a newborn, so obviously that didn't quite work, but I did try to sit in the tub for 5 or 10 minutes 1-2 times per day. It was a nice break from real life!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"