Alabama Babies
Options

Moving to Decatur

Hey ladies!  I haven't been on this board in a long time, but I was wondering if anyone is in the Decatur area and can give me any recommendations.  I grew up in Cullman, so I only know how to get to the mall.  I'm basically clueless.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Moving to Decatur

• Options
    Born and raised in Decatur :)  What kind of info are you looking for?
  • Options

We have to rent until our house sells, so any neighborhoods or areas to stay away from. 

Good school districts and elementary schools if we buy a house soon. 

Pediatrician rec, ob/gyn rec, and family practice rec.

Which hospital is considered best.

I'll be staying at home, so any park recommendations or other toddler things to do.

Anything else you think might be helpful.  I've been looking at various Decatur websites, but it's so much better to get info from an actual person.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageamy0887:

We have to rent until our house sells, so any neighborhoods or areas to stay away from.

I'd find a house to rent for sure.  There are zero good apartments in Decatur. Stay out of North West Decatur.  South East (like near Point Mallard is a great older established area, and then neighborhoods like Almon Place, Oak Lea, Dunbarton (that's where my parents live), Braswell, are some good ones in South West Decatur.  If you come across any that you have specific questions about feel free to ask me.   

Good school districts and elementary schools if we buy a house soon. 

If you actually live in Decatur, then Decatur City is the public school system.  The elementary schools I'd shy away from are Somerville Road, West Decatur, Francis Nungester.  The other ones are fine...Chestnut Grove, Julian Harris, and Eastwood are in my personal opinion the best ones.  Now if you live out in the county say like the Trinity area you'll be in Morgan County schools and that particular area is zoned for West Morgan which isn't bad either.  Sometimes houses in Trinity are a better value, but with the market being down right now there are lots of really nice houses on the market for a good price.  Another option is Hartselle, where the schools are really really good.  

Pediatrician rec, ob/gyn rec, and family practice rec. 

I don't live in Decatur anymore, I live in East Limestone, but several of my friends still live there and seriously every single one of them take their child to Riverside Pediatrics.  My OB/GYN has an office in Decatur, and Madison and it is OBGYN Associates. I adore every doctor there.  They only deliver at Huntsville Hospital though, because there was some issues with Decatur General (insurance stuff/not getting paid etc) so they pulled out of it.  Decatur General has since been bought out by Huntsville Hospital though so they are improving.  The other hospital in Decatur is Parkway, and it's private, but I have heard good things about them.  Family practice I am not sure...the doctor I used when I lived there has retired, and my dad sees a diabetic doctor, and my mom uses her general practioner of Dr. McClure, but she has good things to say about her. 

Which hospital is considered best.

See above question.

I'll be staying at home, so any park recommendations or other toddler things to do.

Rhodes Ferry Park down by the river is awesome.  So is Delano Park, and it has a splash pad.  Wilson Morgan Park is also a good one.  There is a play place in the mall, as well as a carousel.  Huntsville is only 20-25 minutes away as well, and it has all kinds of kid friendly things.  Oh and there is the Fine Arts center and it has toddler classes like Kindermusik and such.  

Anything else you think might be helpful.  I've been looking at various Decatur websites, but it's so much better to get info from an actual person.

Decatur is a pretty diverse town.  It has that small town feeling without being too small, in my opinion.  It's got the great location of being right off the interstate too, so about an hour to Birmingham, and hour and a half to Nashville.  Hopefully this has helped you out some, and any other questions feel free to ask. :)  

• Options
    Thanks for your help.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer to moving time.
  • Options

I would in no way live in decatur.  I prefer outside the city limits or another town. I personally live in hartselle and love it. Its close enough to decatur to be convient but with out all of the crime and mischief.  There is a LOT of crime..even in the good neighborhoods in decatur.

School districts I dont know about yet.

Peds obgyn Hospitals.. I prefer to use huntsville. Decatur General is less than impressive to me. Plus to me it is "dirty"  Parkway is pretty good. Their L&D is great from what Ive experienced thru SIL. . . However, like I said I still chose to go to Huntsville.

If you still preg..and have a obgyn in the cullman area I would just stay  with them. Cullman isnt to far away to use.

The only reason I go to Decatur is to go shopping or go out to dinner. So in that area  I am not much help at all.

• Options
    imageCaliC11:

I would in no way live in decatur.  I prefer outside the city limits or another town. I personally live in hartselle and love it. Its close enough to decatur to be convient but with out all of the crime and mischief.  There is a LOT of crime..even in the good neighborhoods in decatur.

Peds obgyn Hospitals.. I prefer to use huntsville. Decatur General is less than impressive to me. Plus to me it is "dirty"  Parkway is pretty good. Their L&D is great from what Ive experienced thru SIL. . . However, like I said I still chose to go to Huntsville.

If you still preg..and have a obgyn in the cullman area I would just stay  with them. Cullman isnt to far away to use.

The only reason I go to Decatur is to go shopping or go out to dinner. So in that area  I am not much help at all.

You have to remember that crime is everywhere...it no way implies that Decatur is a crime ridden town, because in my personal opinion it is not.  Yes there are some rough areas, just like in any town, but you just have to know where to stay out of.  Hartselle has crime too.  

• Options
    imageCaliC11:

You have to remember that crime is everywhere...it no way implies that Decatur is a crime ridden town, because in my personal opinion it is not.  Yes there are some rough areas, just like in any town, but you just have to know where to stay out of.  Hartselle has crime too.  

• Options

true. however  you must not watch the news... or have any relation with law enforcement.

To me it is " Crime ridden" . She asked opinions..and I gave mine. Sorry you do not agree. Smile

• Options
    imageCaliC11:

true. however  you must not watch the news... or have any relation with law enforcement.

To me it is " Crime ridden" . She asked opinions..and I gave mine. Sorry you do not agree. Smile

Yes I do watch the news, and I actually have three friends on Decatur's PD and my cousin is a detective with the Huntsville PD.  It's all in perspective I think.  I grew up there, it's my hometown, my parents still live there.  Compared to say Huntsville it's not crime ridden, but like I said it all in perspective and like in any place you have to watch the areas.  But to each their own.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"