Georgia Babies

So Daycare, what's is gonna cost me?

Hi Ladies,

So DH and I are making a pro/con list for me being a stay-at-home Mom versus going back to work. Part of that research is looking into daycare. Would you mind sharing with me if your child is in daycare, how much is the average weekly price and whether daycare comes as a part-time option. And certainly anything else I should look into daycare related. Thanks so much! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: So Daycare, what's is gonna cost me?

• It will vary a lot based on your part of town. We are in the norther suburbs. I looked at one chain and it was $825/mth. I looked at Goddard and it was $840/mth not including meals. We chose a school that was $1000/mth. Those are all the monthly rates, the weekly rates are slightly higher if you pay that way (paying monthly ends up saving us the price of two weeks tuition per year). The rates I referenced were all toddler rates, infant rates are a little higher ($1150/mth at the place we chose but that's the only one I know the rates of since ds didn't start as an infant). Expect to pay more the closer you get in town.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs Manners:
    It will vary a lot based on your part of town. We are in the norther suburbs. I looked at one chain and it was $825/mth. I looked at Goddard and it was $840/mth not including meals. We chose a school that was $1000/mth. Those are all the monthly rates, the weekly rates are slightly higher if you pay that way (paying monthly ends up saving us the price of two weeks tuition per year). The rates I referenced were all toddler rates, infant rates are a little higher ($1150/mth at the place we chose but that's the only one I know the rates of since ds didn't start as an infant). Expect to pay more the closer you get in town.

Butting in.  HOLY SH!T!  As a SAHM, I had no clue as to the going rates for childcare.  With 2, 1 being an infant, if I went back to work as a teacher, there would be no point.  I wouldn't even be bringing enough home to pay for groceries.  That's eye opening. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What part of town would you be looking in?  As the PP said, it would vary a great deal.
  • It definitely depends what part of town you're in.  Intown childcare is much more expensive, plus the waiting lists to get in are ridiculous (like as in you should get on them NOW).

Ours is in Virginia-Highland.  The infant room was $900 a month.  It was on the cheaper end of all the places we looked at (Midtown area).

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• The infant room in our daycare is $275/week. The rate is slightly discounted if you attend part time, but not by much. The rates go down, as the child gets older, but the center also rates rates on occasion due to inflation. So you might get a break moving up to an older room, only to have it go back up if the rates are increased. It sucks.
  • Rates in the Smyrna/Mableton area range from $260-285 a week for the infant room. We pay $240 a week for the 2 yr old room currently.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD goes to a home daycare and I pay about $600/mo. I'm lucky that it's my moms daycare, but it is an option to consider. It's def a lot cheaper than regular daycare, but she is still receiving the same great learning experience as a daycare. https://decal.ga.gov/  here you can find more information and locations that are certified and close to where you live. Good luck, and like PP I would def start looking now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like everyone else said it really depends on the area of town. Intown is WAY more expensive. Our place is $1150 for part-time 3 days a week. The infant room is I think $1480 for full time. Before this we had Bailey in a part-time in home daycare and it was $10/hour. All the places we have used include food in their programs even the in home daycare.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Totally depends on the part of town.  DD goes to daycare in College Park.  Infant room is running about $200 a week for full time (she only goes PT).  DS goes to daycare in Smyrna (yes, we are insane).  It's much pricier in that area.  The infant room was more like $250 a week, I think???  Or maybe more?  I can't remember exactly.  Also, they charge monthly so I'm not really sure about the breakdown. 

• imagesusangilchrist:

imageMrs Manners:
    It will vary a lot based on your part of town. We are in the norther suburbs. I looked at one chain and it was $825/mth. I looked at Goddard and it was $840/mth not including meals. We chose a school that was $1000/mth. Those are all the monthly rates, the weekly rates are slightly higher if you pay that way (paying monthly ends up saving us the price of two weeks tuition per year). The rates I referenced were all toddler rates, infant rates are a little higher ($1150/mth at the place we chose but that's the only one I know the rates of since ds didn't start as an infant). Expect to pay more the closer you get in town.

Butting in.  HOLY SH!T!  As a SAHM, I had no clue as to the going rates for childcare.  With 2, 1 being an infant, if I went back to work as a teacher, there would be no point.  I wouldn't even be bringing enough home to pay for groceries.  That's eye opening. 

But you would be adding to your social security (if you think that will be around for us!) and getting benefits.  SAHM vs. daycare costs are not just about salary and the cost of daycare.  I'm not trying to turn this into a big debate, I just wanted to point that out. 

Baby K ~ born July 1
  • I'm in East Cobb.  For infant care in this area, the low end would be $1000/month.  I think the most expensive was Creme De La Creme which was $1660/month.  Rates go down for parttime, and go down slightly as the children get older and the student/teacher ratios go up a bit.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We pay $1,400 for daycare in Buckhead.  The price goes down once they are potty trained but not by a lot.
  • I'm in Smyrna and pay $165 a week.  It does vary greatly based on location and center.  

• imagetgirl613:
    imagesusangilchrist:

imageMrs Manners:

But you would be adding to your social security (if you think that will be around for us!) and getting benefits.  SAHM vs. daycare costs are not just about salary and the cost of daycare.  I'm not trying to turn this into a big debate, I just wanted to point that out. 

No, of course it's not just about the cost of daycare.  If I went back to work, I wouldn't be going back for the benefits, as my hubby carries our insurance.  I would be going back because we couldn't afford for me to stay home any longer and would need the additional income.  With the rates of daycare as high as they are, I may as well just stay home and try to cut back in some other ways.  See my point? 

• Intown is on average 1200-1600/month if you can get in for an infant.  I found it cheaper to hire a nanny with 2 kids.  This is true especially if you can flex your hours any.  Like your husband goes into work later and you come home after school so your only paying your nanny for around 8 hours a day.  Or if you have any family you might could use for like a day a week. 

I have no clue what you make on a teachers salary, but I know with 2 I don't end up making very much once I pay child care.  Part of my reason for keeping my job is that in my industry its hard to jump back in after leaving.  Another thing to consider is that my husband lost his job last year and it took around 8 months to find a new one.  I was very glad to have my income during that time.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I didn't go through all the posts, and I live in the Buford/Lawrenceville area, but I pay $112 for three days.  that's with a teacher discount.  If she went full time, it would be 150.  When she moves up a room, it will be about $135 for 5 days.  I got a really good price...but really up in this area, I found ranges from 150-190ish.....
  • DDs are in a dacycare center on the ITP north side of town (Chamblee/Doraville area) and our infant room is $215/week per child and it goes down as the child gets older.  That cost includes food and milk for toddlers, but we had to provide breast milk/formula and baby food .  It's really difficult to find part-time daycare options.  You may have more luck with part time care in an in-home situation or with a nanny. 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• I'm in the Chamblee/Dunwoody area, just inside the perimeter. Thanks ladies!
  • Oh, I forgot to say that our kids both go to daycare Part Time- 3 days a week.  Not all centers offer this option so you just have to call around and ask.  It used to not be available at all, but the economy has really impacted their bottom line so they are taking what they can get now.  Check with Goddard, they seem to be more flexible than most of the chains (DS goes here). 

• $165/wk ($180/wk for the infant room) at the chain where DD goes.
  •   I pay 105 for 3 full days including meals. It would of been more, but they offer a military discount, I think they also offered a teacher discount, so thats something to think about also.  We live right between Smyrna and Marietta near DAFB. 

My son in the 1 to 2 year old class, and just started, we put him in it just for socializing, and speech since he was delayed, and me being on bed rest with our surprise second.

• We pay $355/week at an intown DC.  There's no part-time option and as Mingaling said, the waitlists are horrendous (I'm pushing two years on one of them already).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelrn327:
    We pay $355/week at an intown DC.  There's no part-time option and as Mingaling said, the waitlists are horrendous (I'm pushing two years on one of them already).

I was reading through all the posts and prices and thinking "holy crap" we pay the most, but you just made me feel so much better sorry! 

We are in Dunwoody and we pay $310/week - this is the infant and wobbler room so far.  I think it is just ABSOLUTELY insane how much the costs vary based upon what part of town you are in - ERRR!  And since you are in the Chamblee area, I would get on lists ASAP if you go down the daycare route.  We waited and had to haul our kid to the other side of town for 2 months, until we lucked out and spot opened at our wait list daycare. 

• I'm a SAHM now but before my second was born I worked full time and we had a combo of nanny/MMO. Depending on your situation, you really may want to consider a Nanny. We found one who we trusted to drive and we had our daughter in a MMO so she would get some playtime with other kids. We paid 1000 a month total for the nanny (35hr.) and the MMO (which was two days a week-the nanny was still being paid during the time she was there since she would pick her up). You can negotiate rates and there is no wait list.You just have to find someone you trust which can be hard but I think it is just as hard to trust a center too. I always wanted to be home and with 2 and with a teacher's salary, it made more sense for me to be home now. We used care.com to find our nanny.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"