Georgia Babies

Moms of 4-5 year olds - BMI?

So, Colin had his 4 year old checkup today and they gave me a little flack over his BMI, which was 18.  He has always been in the upper 90 percentiles for height and weight and since we eat super healthy (except for a treat on special occasions), I have not worried about it.  Well after today I am freaking out.  I'm not sure what to cut out though - he doesn't drink juice, we don't do dessert, skim milk is only at meals...

How concerned were your pedis with BMI?  I have worked really hard to overcome disordered eating and don't want to pass down to him calorie and fat gram counting when I think he's perfectly healthy.  He's just tall and big.

On a positive note though, he got 4 shots and the flu mist and no tears, no flinching.  What a trooper!

Re: Moms of 4-5 year olds - BMI?

• We are the opposite end of the scale with Grant...he it "too small" but I know he eats great and I'm not worried about it. I REALLY don't think you should be either. Reid eats the same as Grant and is a BIG boy (he is wearing the same clothes as Grant and is only 1 shoe size smaller than Grant). I know what they eat, which is typically good food with the occasional treat, and only 2 cups of  milk a day and water, no juice or soda of any kind, and I'm ok with it...I just know he's going to be my linebacker ;) If you know Colin is an active healthy boy that doesn't eat bad then you are doing everything right and there is nothing you need to worry about!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Thanks Brandi - I'm obviously sensitive about this.  I had promised him we would get ice cream as a treat if he did well on his shots and then felt like a horrible mom for doing that.  :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a huge problem with the BMI scale.  I understand the purpose of it in general but if you feed your kid a relatively healthy and balanced diet, make sure they get plenty of exercise, sleep, etc. there is absolutely no reason for any pediatrician to make a point about it. 

It makes me so mad that they line all of the elementary aged kids up in gym class to weight and measure them and send home a BMI letter.  Nothing like pulling up to car line and seeing my freaking 7 year old and all of her friends discussing who is the fattest/skinniest/tallest/shortest. 

Honestly, if my pedi were to make me stress about BMI on either of my perfectly healthy children, I would seriously consider getting a second opinion and possibly switching docs.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that, Colin is perfect!

• Do NOT feel bad about what you are doing!!!! You know what he is/isn't eating and an  ice cream every now and then isn't going to hurt him, don't let someone that only see's him 1 or 2x a year make you feel bad.  I'm trying to bribe Reid to be "green" at school for a whole week with a milkshake :)
  • imageK&P414:

It makes me so mad that they line all of the elementary aged kids up in gym class to weight and measure them and send home a BMI letter.  Nothing like pulling up to car line and seeing my freaking 7 year old and all of her friends discussing who is the fattest/skinniest/tallest/shortest. 

Seriously?!?!?! I can't believe they do that!

• imageK&P414:

I have a huge problem with the BMI scale.  I understand the purpose of it in general but if you feed your kid a relatively healthy and balanced diet, make sure they get plenty of exercise, sleep, etc. there is absolutely no reason for any pediatrician to make a point about it. 

Honestly, if my pedi were to make me stress about BMI on either of my perfectly healthy children, I would seriously consider getting a second opinion and possibly switching docs.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that, Colin is perfect!

This exactly. I do remember that they measured at his 3 year and it was normal. We have since switched docs so it'll be interesting to see if they do at his 4 year. Regardless, I am NOT worried about him. I serve only healthy choices with the very rare treat, he's a great eater, he stops when he's full, he asks for more when he's hungry, he's very active, he's healthy and he's a great sleeper. The BMI scale is fraught with issues including the fact that it takes no consideration for body composition or body fat percentage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you know what he is eating and it is healthy food and he is exercising....don't worry about it.

It is an overall scale and probably needs to be updated.  

Now if he was eating McDs and twinkies all day this would be a wake up call.  But his body is doing what his body should do.

• I would worry about it too much.  I don't think any of the pedis I've seen have ever checked it, nor have they ever mentioned it to me.

If you know he's eating well and is and active child, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• Don't worry about it. Connor's BMI at his 4yr appointment was 17, mostly because he's 50% in weight and less than 10% in height. He eats a healty diet, with very limited juice/junk food. And if you look at him, he's skinny. Our pedi gave us the number, but also said don't put too much thought into it at all, since it's based strictly on charts, not reality. I'm so sorry that your doctor gave you a hard time about it!

Julie

• I had a similiar conversation with my pedi at G's two yr appt. I know he eats well with occasional treats so I am trying not to worry about it too much. And honestly when I look at him compared to the kids in his class he looks very average. I don't like the BMI chart for children or adults.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh gosh, I can't believe they said that or made you feel bad. I saw the picture on FB yesterday of him and his ice cream. He's such a cutie!!!
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"