Special Needs

Found out our daughter has Down's syndrome today at anatomy scan

We are definitely having a girl! We are very excited about that!

We found out she almost certainly has Down's syndrome. They found she has VSD, a shortened nasal bone, shortened arm and leg bones, increased nuchal fold and echogenic foci on her heart. All of these combined made the OB and MFM feel that she has it.

We decided to do an amnio because we want 100% confirmation. We want to be prepared. We've always said we'd never do an amnio, of course until we were actually in that position. I'm so glad the doctors could fit us in right away.

We get the FISH results on Wednesday and the full karyotype in about 2 weeks.

I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts and prayers, as I'm sure DH and I will feel differently about it each day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Found out our daughter has Down's syndrome today at anatomy scan

• Congrats on your baby girl! You sound like you will be a great mom to Lauren. 

My children do not have DS, so I can't add any personal advice, but I just read a thread below titled "I just got my amnio results" that looked like it had some great resources.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Congrats on little Lauren! I think I remember you from the tri boards, our boys were born around the same time. DS does not have Down Syndrome, but some other things that became evident once he made his appearance and hung out with us for a while! 

This board is an awesome resource for ideas and support. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the directions to the post below! The doctors gave us great references today, but it's great to hear it from "real" people!
  • Congratulations on your little girl! My kids don't have DS so I don't have resources or knowledge but wanted to welcome you to the board.  :-)
  • My little girl has DS.  I'm not on here a ton but my blog is in the siggie and you can email me through there.
    Megan Mommy to Ellie 3/11 (Down syndrome, AVSD, duodenal atresia) www.little-miss-stubborn.blogspot.com
  • You are going to have so much joy in that little girl of yours!!! Trust me when I say that your baby is going to be more like a typical child than not. She will do EVERYTHING that typical kids do, just a little slower. She'll probably walk at 2 instead of 1, talk at 3 instead of 2....  small price to pay for the happiness you have coming your way!!! There will be many challenges but the highs are SOO high that it makes up for the lows. Congrats!!!
    image Aiden Jude is on his way! Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGreenEyesinNC:
    You are going to have so much joy in that little girl of yours!!! Trust me when I say that your baby is going to be more like a typical child than not. She will do EVERYTHING that typical kids do, just a little slower. She'll probably walk at 2 instead of 1, talk at 3 instead of 2....  small price to pay for the happiness you have coming your way!!! There will be many challenges but the highs are SOO high that it makes up for the lows. Congrats!!!

Thanks ladies!

• OK, now I have a second.  First of all, congrats and welcome!  My daughter is almost 7 months old.  I was brief earlier because she's almost sitting on her own and almost army crawling.  Needless to say, I spend most of my day jumping up to grab her any time I sit down!

The DS Pregnancy group on Babycenter is great.  I also love https://www.kellehampton.com for beautiful photos of babies with DS.  My favorite resources were blogs and www.downsyndromepregnancy.org.  Gifts and Gifts 2 are inspirational books... I am uber practical, so I read Babies with Down Syndrome, but it has every scary medical possiblity!

My daughter had a double bubble (GI defect) and a heart defect.  She had GI surgery when she was one day old and open heart surgery last month.  You'd NEVER know, other than the fact that we can't pick her up under her armpits for another few weeks.

Please feel free to get in touch!

Megan Mommy to Ellie 3/11 (Down syndrome, AVSD, duodenal atresia) www.little-miss-stubborn.blogspot.com
  • imageGreenEyesinNC:
    You are going to have so much joy in that little girl of yours!!! Trust me when I say that your baby is going to be more like a typical child than not. She will do EVERYTHING that typical kids do, just a little slower. She'll probably walk at 2 instead of 1, talk at 3 instead of 2....  small price to pay for the happiness you have coming your way!!! There will be many challenges but the highs are SOO high that it makes up for the lows. Congrats!!!

This. My son Miles has DS and he is the light of my life. Congratulations and feel free to ask any and all questions. :) 

Nora Judith 7/2/06 Miles Chauncey 4/20/09 born with Trisomy 21 - Down syndrome
  • Welcome! My daughter is Lizzie and she has Ds. She is 25 months now and life is better than I could have ever dreamed it would be. It has been hard, we dealt with some health stuff that was scary, but she is doing great now and is cruising right along in life. Please feel free to ask any questions..
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you all so much for your kindness and encouragement!

My FISH amnio results should be in today between 3 and 5....which of course means I'm stalking my phone already even though it's barely 8am. I'm not even nervous/worried that they'll say she has DS. I'm worried they'll say she won't and we won't have a diagnosis, you know?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"