Baby Names

Edmund - Using Full Name, Avoid Nicknames

Both DH and I like Edmund.

However, we do not like Ed, Eddie, or any other nickname.

We would want to use the full name all the time.

How realistic is it to expect that we can get others to go along with our wishes?

Or should we avoid the name because we don't like the NN?

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Edmund - Using Full Name, Avoid Nicknames

• I have a friend who has a son named Anthony. He is 10 and still goes by Anthony. I think that if you like Edmund and use the the full name others will do the same. As long as he likes the full name when he gets older, and doesn't prefer a nickname people would likely follow also.

• My DH's name is Phillip and my MIL insisted (and still does) that everyone call him Phillip. Well, that worked until he hit high school and started going by Phil. She hates it! He likes going by Phil, but she still refuses to call him that and gets annoyed when other people do. She also did this with her other son, Benjamin. I think it's kinda silly to name a child a name that will inevitably be shortened and not expect it to be shortened. I absolutely love Elizabeth, but not the nicknames and I've finally crossed it off the list. I don't want to be like my MIL! 
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is Samuel and at various times he has been Sam, Sammy, and Samuel (we really didn't care about nicknames).

What it came down to: my son wants to be Samuel right now (he's four). When he was two years old, he wanted to be Sammy Bammy. You really don't have a lot of control over it -- and if you do exert a lot of control in front of others you are going to look like a loon.

• I went to a college with a guy named Edmond and no one ever called him anything but Edmond.
  • Ditto what a PP said about Anthony. Our friend, who is 27, is still Anthony. However, the most common NN would be Tony. To me, it is going to be more natural to call Edmund "Ed" because it's the first chunk of the name. Different than calling Anthony "An" or "Anth". My DS's name does not have a NN associated with it, but still, we sometimes just say the first syllable of his name. May be inevitable no matter what- but you can call him what you want, yourselves.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Edmund is a short enough name that you cn insist on Edmund and people will listen. However, that doesn't mean Little Edmund might not one day prefer to be Eddie or Mundy or Ted.
  • imageGrace0609:

For the first couple of years you can probably talk people into going along w/ your wishes, but once Edmund hits school age, he'll be Ed, Eddie, or whatever everyone else wants to call him, unfortunately.

This. There's a good chance until his friends start nicknaming him.

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I teach elementary and most of the kids go by what their parents call them.  The only difference is when you have two of the same name in class - I have two Zacharys.  All go by full names at home, but one volunteered to go by Zach at school (easier than calling them by last name or first-plus-last-initial).  But don't be surprised if he adopts a nickname in middle or high school. I've found that this is the time that kids like to change it up and play with finding their identity.

• I agree that you totally can do it (you might get one stubborn person who just won't conform, but for the most part, anyone who loves you will abide by your wishes) but the question is, will you be okay with it if Edmund decides to go by a nickname later?

I'm a Pamela, and while my mom always called me Pamela, she didn't care whether people called me Pam or not. I decided for myself when I was very young that I preferred Pamela. Since then, I have been able to keep anyone from calling me Pam or Pammy more than once. (Though I adore elaborated nicknames like Pamcakes, Pamda Bear, Panama, Pamamela, Pamelam, etc.) 

My dad has an interesting story too, which I just found out a couple of months ago. His name is Richard, and everyone called him Richey from the time he was born. They loved the nickname. The day before he was to start kindergarten, he called a family meeting and told his mom, dad, and grandparents that he was a big boy now, so he was going to go by Richard from now on. And of course, everyone obliged! I think that is so cute! I would love it if my kids did that.

imageLMS05:
    I absolutely love Elizabeth, but not the nicknames and I've finally crossed it off the list.
    This is very interesting to me. I don't think I've heard anyone say they couldn't find at least one nickname for Elizabeth that they liked. I know a lot of moms these days don't like Liz or Lizzie, but have you considered Bess, Beth, Bette, Betty, Betsy, Elsa, or Libby? I love all of these. That's one thing that I've always appreciated about Elizabeth: there's something in it for everyone!
  • Just like you, I love Edmund and I despise Ed and Eddie! I think that it would be very realistic to expect others to not call him Eddie - after all, Eddie is very old school. Now, once he becomes a teenager, then he might want to go by Eddie or Ed, but you could still call him Edmund.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • My name is Kimberly which alot of people want to automatically shorten to Kim but the majority ask me if I prefer Kimberly or Kim. What if he wants a nickname? What are you going to do?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My name is Catherine and I only go by Catherine.  When I was little my mom corrected people, and then when I got older and people tried to shorten my name, I just told them I didn't go by Katie or Cathy or Kate, I went by Catherine.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • imageEaglefoot23:

imageLMS05:
    I absolutely love Elizabeth, but not the nicknames and I've finally crossed it off the list.
    This is very interesting to me. I don't think I've heard anyone say they couldn't find at least one nickname for Elizabeth that they liked. I know a lot of moms these days don't like Liz or Lizzie, but have you considered Bess, Beth, Bette, Betty, Betsy, Elsa, or Libby? I love all of these. That's one thing that I've always appreciated about Elizabeth: there's something in it for everyone!

I'm not really a nickname person (no one in my family except for DH has a nickname) and I think Elizabeth is so beautiful on it's own that a nickname kinda ruins the name for me. 

• Same thing we were thinking.  We love Donovan, and it ended up being our sons middle name since we don't like nicknames.  Went with a name that we love almost as much for his first name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"