Potty Training
Options

How do I fix this

DD pees and poops on the potty with about 80% accuracy if she's running around naked but as soon as I put her in panties she misses every single time.  It's frustrating.  Because of this we do diapers when we go anywhere and sometimes at home as well.  She fights me like CRAZY about not wanting to wear a diaper BUT she also doesn't want to wear panties...

I just want to say that I didn't start this really.  She started wanting to use the potty that we had out and now here we are 1.5 months later.  My Mom says this is my fault :-/

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How do I fix this

• Options

It just takes time.  DS was the same exact way.  Some kids treat underwear like they're diapers.  We had to have DS go commando at home for 3 months because any time he had underwear on, he'd pee or poop in them.  We finally decided to bite the bullet and introduce underwear again after a summer of going commando and there was a bit of a regression (which we expected, because again, he treated underwear like diapers), but he got it after a couple of days.  At home, I'd leave her command for a while - what's it harming?  And by keeping her out of diapers, you reinforce that she now needs to go in the toilet.

As for outings, I would go ahead and get rid of the diapers too.  Switching between commando, diapers, and underwear may be confusing her.  Begin with small outings - maybe an hour or so - that you're pretty sure she can manage without an accident.  When you get to your destination, take her to the bathroom.  This reinforces the expectation that when you're out and about, she still needs to go to the potty in a toilet, not her pants.  Before you leave, take her to the bathroom again.  As you begin to see success during these short outings, you can slowly make them longer and longer.  I recommend getting one of those piddle pads for the car seat (loads easier than washing the entire seat cover).  And bring some wipes/lysol in case you have to clean up an accident when you're out (for instance, we once had to clean up the post office floor when I was buying stamps and DS all of a sudden announced "I have to go potty!" and let loose right then and there LOL).  It was after we were seeing good success with outings, that we started putting DS in underwear at home too.  I think the outings helped because he was only in the underwear for short periods of time, so it provided a slow introduction to the underwear.  And of course, always give lots of praise not only for going potty on the toilet but also for keeping the underwear dry!

And as for your mom, just ignore her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My daughter still does better when she is naked, so most of the time when we are at home she is naked. I ditched diapers because my daughter was fighting them (sound like yours) But she will wear panties but if she has to go she can't get her clothes off in time and usually tinkles in them a little. Does she fight the panties as much as the diaper? When my daughter doesn't want to get dressed I will let her pick the clothes or say "You need to wear clothes because we are leaving." like pp said plan short outing and take her to the toilet so she understands the way it works, she will catch on!

What in the world does your mom mean? That your daughter is learning the potty before two? I think you're doing great! Soon it will get much easier and you will be so glad you don't fight about diapers (or even have to buy them!!) Good luck! 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks guys.  I think my Mom means it's my fault that I'm not forcing the panties issue.  At home DD really, really just wants to be naked so we let her.  It's cute, sometimes she'll wear a shirt and leggings if it's chilly in the house but she'll fight me about getting panties on usually.  I cloth diaper her and she often fights those now too.  My mom says I need to force the panties and not let her go naked and since I do it's my fault that she hasn't learned to not go in her panties.

I will ignore her :-)

So, the advise is to continue to allow her to be naked at home and try to ditch the diapers altogether.  That part scares me.  We go places a LOT.  Our house is tiny and we live downtown.  I will do my best! 

Wait, what about naps and night time?  Her diapers are always wet after naps and in the morning.

Thank you :-)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"