January 2011 Moms

Nap Time!

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping baby nap?  Emma gets so tired, but wont lay down and sleep!  We have tried it all!  Please help!  Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nap Time!

• Have you tried pd/pu? that worked well for us. Also, how long is she going between naps? Maybe she needs to lay down earlier before she's over-tired?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemommabear530:
    Have you tried pd/pu? that worked well for us. Also, how long is she going between naps? Maybe she needs to lay down earlier before she's over-tired?

Just thought I would say pd/pu does not work for everyone. We tried this and it makes it so much worse. Jay gets very upset if we come in the room after he is layed down. He thinks we are comming to get him and if we leave him there he is pissed.

If we wait to long it is a lot harder to get him down. We are forced to do CIO sometimes. If I know he needs a nap I will let him cio. (Usually 20 min at most.) I am sure you will find something that works for you.

• Loading the player...
  • imagejcole32444:

imagemommabear530:
    Have you tried pd/pu? that worked well for us. Also, how long is she going between naps? Maybe she needs to lay down earlier before she's over-tired?

Just thought I would say pd/pu does not work for everyone. We tried this and it makes it so much worse. Jay gets very upset if we come in the room after he is layed down. He thinks we are comming to get him and if we leave him there he is pissed.

If we wait to long it is a lot harder to get him down. We are forced to do CIO sometimes. If I know he needs a nap I will let him cio. (Usually 20 min at most.) I am sure you will find something that works for you.

Not trying to say pd/pu works for everyone, just saying it worked well for us.

• imagemommabear530:
    imagejcole32444:

imagemommabear530:

Not trying to say pd/pu works for everyone, just saying it worked well for us.

I know. I was just warning OP. I felt like I was torturing Jay when we tried it. Never again here.

• When you find the magic solution let me know! I found for us Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child worked best (the extinction method - pretty much a form of CIO). PU/PD was a disaster, as was Ferber's method. For us it's best to just leave him alone.

What I'll often do is let him toss turn play cry for 30 minutes, check on him (sometimes he'll poop in this time) then nurse him again and many times he'll then fall asleep on the boob. But many times, he won't :( 

• we've been having more issues w/ this lately, too. i hope it's just a phase but i hear it gets worse when they start standing/walking & just want to play in their cribs. with patrick it seems like we have a small window to get him down for naps or else he gets over tired & is just too wound up to sleep well. i do let him cio but that doesn't always work well for us, he can go strong for a good hour or more. i do occasionally go in & check on him b/c sometimes he gets himself stuck in a corner & i have to pull a limb out of some place he got it trapped...i don't know how he manages this. lately we've been trying the same routine "pre-naptime" to see if that will help him out, he definitely needed that at bedtime. so we normally play, get a bottle & get burped, go up to his room & look at a few pages of a book, he gets a pacifier & i hold him for a minute, then he gets put down. in another 2-3 wks we're going to start weaning off the paci & replace it with a toy in the crib so i occasionally give him this little toy as i hold him. then i think next week it's going to go in the crib w/ him. so we'll see how that works, i'm a little worried it'll just keep him up longer b/c he'll want to play!

• We tried Ferber and like the other pp's, it just upset DD more with me going in and out. We ended up doing CIO. It took about 4-5 days to get her to go down without a fight, but we don't have any problems anymore. I'm so glad we did it, but I know it's not for everyone.

• Thanks Ladies, I don't know what all the abreviations are, but I did figure out the CIO is cry it out.  We have tried that, but maybe not long enough.  She hasn't used a paci in monhts!  We will keep trying!  Thanks again!

• imagesarajones84:
    Thanks Ladies, I don't know what all the abreviations are, but I did figure out the CIO is cry it out.  We have tried that, but maybe not long enough.  She hasn't used a paci in monhts!  We will keep trying!  Thanks again!
    PU/PD is pick up/put down

Why not grab a sleep book or look up some methods online? That might make things easier...like with CIO - you wouldn't let your kid cry him/herself to sleep for hours, ya know? (Not saying you would) But the books suggest how long wake up times should be, optimal nap times, routines, etc. Which I think you can probably get the same info online in an abbreviated version.

And like Knapp (sp?) said, the more they can do the harder sleep will be for a while...with us our problems started again with teething and standing up in the crib. And now I'm sick and don't have the energy or willpower to sleep train again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"