Northern California Babies

Dairy Allergy all of a sudden?

DS started having diaherra (like liquid farts) on Friday afternoon. By Saturday afternoon, we were doing a modified BRAT diet (didn't have any bananas). In the mornings his diapers are on the thicker side, but still super soft, and would just get more liquid as the day went on. (Sorry TMI). I gave him some cheese on Sunday, just because I couldn't handle him standing at the fridge saying "eese, eese, eese" anymore. Yesterday I gave him another stick of cheese when he came home from IL's, within 15-20 minutes he had liquid butt. Called MIL, and she gave him a little cheese for lunch and she said a half hour later that he had diaherra too.

He has been drinking milk just fine and goes to bed after his last bottle w/ no diaherra or liquid butt immediately after.

Is it possible to develop a dairy/cheese allergy all of a sudden when he has had cheese for at least a year already??? Should I call the doc since we are on day 4 of diaherra?

Sorry about the graphic post so early in the morning.

Re: Dairy Allergy all of a sudden?

• I don't think they develop allergies like that all of sudden and I do know that dairy allergies produce mucus in the poop, often with green tinge.  As long as you're getting plenty of liquids in him I wouldn't call the doc until Thursday ( I don't like to wait for Friday's personally in case you need to get tests or something, don't want to get backed up against the weekend). 

Cheese is not very easy to digest so that may be why it's producing more problems than other foods.

• It could be he has some kind of virus or other intestinal issue that the dairy products are aggravating - not that he is suddenly allergic to them.  Whenever DS has antibiotics he has to go off dairy products or he has the same issue, but he eats them otherwise.  I'd probably take him off dairy for several days till the symptoms have been gone a few days and then try it again to see if it bothers him.  Personally I would call the doc now just to get some advice and make sure it's not something that needs treatment sooner than later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"