PCSing and TTC — The Bump
Military Families

PCSing and TTC

My husband is Air Force and we are PCSing to Japan. Actually my DH is already there got there last Friday. I leave tomorrow morning...in just 15 hours! Besides being stressed with the looming move, being sooo far away from family and friends, we are also TTC our #1 baby. 

We are super excited to finally be TTC and can't wait to get our BFP (this is our 2nd cycle). However with moving to Japan both our families are 'upset' at the thought of us having babies while over there. We will be there 3 years, and we just can't put the TTC off 3 years because family doesn't want us to have babies over there! 

I guess I'm just looking for ideas and such on how you keep families (grandmas and grandpas) involved and active in a babies life when they are so far away. (I know this might be putting the cart before the horse) but I just want to be sure when the time comes we have ideas on how to keep family up to date and involved in our babies lives. 

IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: PCSing and TTC

• To keep the grandparents involved we skype ever week, email pictures, upload videos to Youtube. We did crafts that involved the kids handprints and footprints to mail to the grandparents.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image Airmans Wife:

My husband is Air Force and we are PCSing to Japan. Actually my DH is already there got there last Friday. I leave tomorrow morning...in just 15 hours! Besides being stressed with the looming move, being sooo far away from family and friends, we are also TTC our #1 baby. 

We are super excited to finally be TTC and can't wait to get our BFP (this is our 2nd cycle). However with moving to Japan both our families are 'upset' at the thought of us having babies while over there. We will be there 3 years, and we just can't put the TTC off 3 years because family doesn't want us to have babies over there! 

I guess I'm just looking for ideas and such on how you keep families (grandmas and grandpas) involved and active in a babies life when they are so far away. (I know this might be putting the cart before the horse) but I just want to be sure when the time comes we have ideas on how to keep family up to date and involved in our babies lives. 

Skype is a life saver when it comes to keeping in touch with family members when you are in a military family. It would be impossible to plan your pregnancies around thier locations because you never know where the next PCS will take you.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We aren't overseas, but we're quite far from our families right now. We're planning Skype and visits :) My mom is coming about a month after the baby is born to stay for a bit, MIL is dying for me to ask her to come visit after the baby is born for awhile as well... I'll probably go visit my dad and stepmom for a bit as well while on leave.

My extended family is overseas (my grandparents included) and when we were young there was no such thing as Skype. We used to send photos, and they used to come visit for months at a time. Of course, they were retired at the time. That's what I'd suggest-- going home with the baby when you can, having grandparents come and visit when they can. We're very close with our grandparents, even though we grew up on a different continent and they had their other grandchildren in the same town. We always went to our grandparents' for the summer when we were school-age, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went from CA to GA and my family about had a cow because they wouldn't be able to see the squirt.

We Skype almost every day I mean it's free and when he's at work I really don't have a ton of stuff to do. And They send her clothes and toys. We know that she remembers them because she kisses the screen. We send them a ton of pictures. It's just little stuff but it makes it easier.

Maybe once you get pregnant you could include them in a couple OB visits via skype if you have it on your phone? Facebook is great too. If you aren't comfortable sharing your belly pics and ultrasounds with all your friends you could make an album that only your family can see and have tummy pics and ultrasound pictures there for them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards