Detroit Babies
Options

LO gagging herself....

Does anyone's LO gag themselves? DD's new habit is to put her fingers in her throat and gag herself, she has been doing it more and more lately and on a few occassions has actually made herself throw up. 

I have been trying to pull her hand away,telling her no and giving her something else to play with, but she just laughs at me and goes right back at it, so then I try and ignore the behavior and she still keeps doing it..

I am at a loss, please tell me this a phase?!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: LO gagging herself....

• Options
    It's a phase.  ChrissyT54's daughter used to do it all the time right around that age.  She grew out of it.  I know it's gross and weird, but hang in there, she'll stop eventually.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options

Thanks! Did your DS ever do it? I wonder if it's a girl thing?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can be 2 things - a phase or it can be teeth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My son still does this when i give him something he does not like, namely vegetables.  He thinks it is funny.  It used to scare the crap out of me.  But, now I follow the general rule of thumb...as long as his airway sounds clear, he is not choking.  If they were really choking they would not be able to make this sound. 

I think she will grow out of it, but it is scary at first and then just plain irritating.

• Options
    imagepeanutsmom45:

Thanks! Did your DS ever do it? I wonder if it's a girl thing?

No, not really.  I mean, when he was on purees if I gave him something he didn't like he would gag, but he never purposely gagged himself.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options
    Noah use to do the same exact thing and it started around that age too.  He had stopped for a while and then after Nathan was born, he started again.  With Noah it was just his way to get attention.  He also would laugh, so he knew exactly what he was doing.  The only thing that really worked was to show as little response as possible.  So instead of running over there to pull his hand out and tell him "No!" and make a big deal to divert his attention, we'd just walk over, pull his hand out and say nothing.  If he did it again, we'd just pull his hand out again with as little fuss as possible.  Once he didn't have our reaction to laugh at, the game suddenly wasn't as fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

MrsRenee - That is exactly what Morgan is doing.. She knows she shouldn't be doing it and just laughs at me when I tell her no!  I will try not to give her as much attention when she is doing it. I am hoping it this phases passes soon.

• Options
    My son did the exact same thing around 14 months and it got to be pretty gross! He would laugh after he did it too. I found that ignoring him, he stopped quicker. He seemed to feed off of the attention it would give him.  Good luck!  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Nickolas does the same thing....he scared me a few times when he actually throw up....I assumed it must have been a phase...I just continue telling him not to do it and gently remove his fingers, and like you do, give him something to play with... I do think it may be a teething thing...or the discovery of his fingers realizing he can put it in his mouth...right!...like he does everthing else:) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"