Eco-Friendly Family

Homemade dishwashing soap

So I found this recipe online, borax, baking soda, and citric acid, but stupid me, wasn't paying attention and instead I added washing soda (which I'm going to use to make my laundry detergent). Do you think that would be a problem? The dishwasher is running right now and I keep imagining that I'll have lots of suds or something like that, no? Will the recipe still work for dishes? should add the baking soda anyway? Thanks.  

Re: Homemade dishwashing soap

• You may want to be careful about using Borax for your dishes. It's pretty toxic if inhaled or consumed. I'm okay using it in my laundry or in small increments in my countertop cleanser, but I don't know how I'd feel about having it potentially lay on my dishes.

As far as washing soda vs. Borax, I don't know what the difference will be in how the soap cleans. They're different minerals so they have different effects in water. It's all about chemical reactions and, alas, I can't say I've ever studied chemistry ;)

• I have used that recipe before and it always has left a white powdery film on my dishes. 

DD#1 is 3! And LO#2 is on his/her way! Due Feb 26th, 2014.

BFP#1: EDD 5/7/2010 born on 5/20/2010. A little girl named Emily.  

BFP#2: m/c 10/29/2012 EDD was 6/21/2012 Baby Hope was 6 weeks 3 days. 

BFP#3: Twin B stopped growing at 8 weeks and 5 days. Found on 8/10/2014. EDD was 2/26/2014. Twin A is still doing great and due date is 2/26/14. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageSoyager:

You may want to be careful about using Borax for your dishes. It's pretty toxic if inhaled or consumed. I'm okay using it in my laundry or in small increments in my countertop cleanser, but I don't know how I'd feel about having it potentially lay on my dishes.

As far as washing soda vs. Borax, I don't know what the difference will be in how the soap cleans. They're different minerals so they have different effects in water. It's all about chemical reactions and, alas, I can't say I've ever studied chemistry ;)

OK now you scared me Tongue Tied

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"