North Carolina Babies
Options

Quiet time fail

So, quiet time is a big failure so far here at our house.  Liam won't stay in his room more than 5 or 10 minutes before he comes downstairs and throws a fit when I try to make him go back up.  So then I have to lock him in, and he just screams and throws a fit for the rest of "quiet time", throwing stuff at his door and destroying his room.  Needless to say, this is not restful for either of us.  It's so stressful I'm ready to throw in the towel and just let him stay downstairs all afternoon, even though I know that will only lead to me being even more annoyed.

I've tried bribery with his star chart and pretty much anything else I can think of.  I've even promised to bring him directly to Target at the end of quiet time to pick out a prize if he stays in his room until the light turns green, and it doesn't make a difference.  To help him succeed, I'm only asking him to stay in there for 30-45 min, even though an hour is my goal.

Any other suggestions?  Or should I just give up?  "Quiet time" as it is, is just causing more stress than it's worth. 

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Quiet time fail

• Options

Would you be OK letting him just lay on the couch for an hour and (*gasp*) watch TV? When I was old enough that I needed some rest time but didn't always need to sleep, that's what my mom let me do.

I feel your pain right now (in a different way). DD is refusing to nap unless we rock her to sleep, which isn't always convenient. We try to let her CIO, but she has pitched a fit for as long as 30 minutes before. Once I rock her, though, she's asleep within 2 minutes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't do this - but I thought I would share. When DH was that age my MIL used a plastic coated steel cable and tied his ankle to the bed so he couldn't get out. Insane. Anyway...

I agree with PP about trying a movie. The very few times that DS won't nap, he's done that. Its not as restful for me, but it works.

Maybe try some books on cd that he can listen to and follow along? I know Liam likes a lot of interaction so maybe that would help.  

ETA: Have you tried locking him in to begin with? We always keep the door in Caleb's room locked when he naps.  

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would try a DVD or TV show for his quiet time.  Maybe not have him watch any shows the rest of morning in anticipation that he gets to watch one during quiet time.  That may hold his attention to that for 30-min/1-hr for you to get other things done. 

My neighbor's son was like this also and that was the only thing she could find to give him downtime for an hour so he could "rest" and she could get something else done.  You're not alone! :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies.  I appreciate your suggestions.  I'm considering the TV thing (and it's not that I oppose TV, we watch plenty). I'm just afraid he'll talk to me the whole time, insist on being snuggled up against me, etc.  And again, not that I mind this, but the point of nap/quiet time is for me to get a break from him LOL.

Oy. 

• Options
    Quiet time never really worked for Camryn.  My mom just lets her lay on the couch in their sunroom and watch TV.  That's pretty much what we do at home too.  It stinks trying to get used to it, but you will eventually adjust. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    And, now we're apparently back to the bedtime shenanigans that made me take away his nap in the first place.  So now he won't nap, or even do quiet time, and STILL won't fall asleep at bedtime.  What the heck do I do now?  I guess I'll just hope it's a short term phase :(
  • Options
    imagebecki777:

Don't do this - but I thought I would share. When DH was that age my MIL used a plastic coated steel cable and tied his ankle to the bed so he couldn't get out. Insane. Anyway...

oh.my.goodness!!! That is CRAZY!!!

Sorry Crescent, I don't really have any other suggestions, but I'd just stick to your guns. I try to make sure I always outlast on battle of wills. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"