Pregnant after 35

Does age factor into Dr's appointments?

I was curious about this.  I'm 40 and callled my OB to set up my first appt.  The receptionist scheduled me for the standard 8 week first appt. (no doctor) and I won't see the doctor until I'm 10 weeks.

I'm not trying to be high maintenance, but it seems like I shouldn't have to wait that long to see the doctor.  I know there isn't much they can do, but I've read all kinds of stuff online that just being pregnant in your 40's is considered "high risk", so to me that should mean that I see the doctor earlier so we can address those risks.

Am I being unrealistic and is 10 weeks before you see the doctor typical?

Re: Does age factor into Dr's appointments?

• Just because you are over 35 does not make you High Risk.  Your risk for certain genetic disorders rise when compared to your under 35 counterparts but it isn't cause for too much alarm.

Most women are seen between 8-12 weeks, depending on the office and their protocols. I have heard one of the reasons for the long wait is they want to wait till the time period where you should be able to see the baby and the heartbeat.  Too early and you may just see the gestational sac, fetal pole but no baby yet.

I know it is stressful to have to wait so long but I promise, and others will attest that being over 35 and pregnant is not the dooms day scenario that is painted on many of the web-sites out there.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agree with pp. My dr does not treat age alone as high risk. I'm also 40 and other than being able to have some additional testing done if I desire (since insurance will cover due to AMA), I am not treated any differently. Before 8-10 weeks they really can't do much anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies for responding.  You are right, I'm one big stressball because everything I've read on the web makes it feel like getting pregnant at 40 is a big no-no.  So, that made me wonder why if it's such a big deal and makes me so high risk, then why wasn't my doctor wanting to see me sooner. 

I personally don't feel "old" and did deliver my 20 month old at age 38 with no complications (except he was breech so I had a c-section) so I don't know why now I'm so worried about it now.  It's probably because I'm in the 4's instead of the 3's now, **sigh**

• Geeps said it perfectly. For me, I'm glad not to be treated differently. If I had more appointment or more scans, it would mean they thought something was wrong. I'm happy to be normal and cause my Dr. no additional concern.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All of the pp are right. My Dr. said that my previous healthy pregnancies also factor into whether or not they consider me high risk. There is a lot of information out there and not all of it is useful, well, unless you want to stress yourself out! Good luck mama!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I too am in my forties and a little freaked out by all the information on the web about "ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE" This is my fourth pregnancy. My middle child is a Freshman in High School. He was born 5 wks early because of polyhydramnios. He also has multiple special needs. I think because of that I'm even more freaked out. Should this baby be born with any disability I know I can handle it but I'm also 16 years older than I was and man am I tired!

I wish you much luck!

• Usually your first appointment is mainly just a pap smear and blood draw. Some offices will do an ultrasound. Some doctors like to have the information from the blood draw to discuss with you. That way if you are anemic already they can prescribe a prenatal for that. Don't stress too much about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Around here (South western Ontario), not necessarily.  Typically here, you see your GP until week 20, at which time you start seeing your OB.  The OB may request to see you early.  I think with my first pg at 37, I saw my OB starting at 14-16 weeks.  I won't have an u/s til 12 wks and I am 40 this time around.  The u/s is a nt scan with sequential screen b/w.  Age alone does not make you high risk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"