Preemies
Options

Meet the baby question

My daughter was born 4 weeks ago at 34 weeks.  She was born the day before we were supposed to attend her shower in Indiana (we live in NJ) so it was cancelled.  They want to have a meet the baby since the shower was cancelled during the end of October.  Do you think 8 weeks is too soon to be around people?  I know October is the beginning of RSV season too.  My gut is saying do not go, however I have no friends or family in NJ and I would love for her to meet her family!  TIA!!!
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meet the baby question

• Options

We have brfought LO lots of places, but exercise caution (no one hold her with out hand washing, no kissing the baby, if going to a whooping cough state, no holding unless they had their vacs, etc)

So, it depends on what you mean by "meet the baby". If she is going to be passed around like a bowl of chips, then no. If she's going to be looked at but not touched, sure.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options

The shower is in Indiana?  usually RSV season in Indiana (where I live) doesn't start until November.  Did she have a lot of respiratory issues at birth? 

I think if you are strict about telling people not to come with sniffles, everyone has to wash their hands, no kids, and don't pass the baby around, it's probably OK.

I would not put that baby on a plane though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedamabo80:

So, it depends on what you mean by "meet the baby". If she is going to be passed around like a bowl of chips, then no. If she's going to be looked at but not touched, sure.

We had a meet the baby. DS was also born at 34 weeks. He spent the majority of the party upstairs with my Dad napping then I brought him down to show off. No one touched or held him, just oooooh's and aaaaaah's. It was a nice compromise so I could get my shower and family/friends could meet him. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with PPs, you can do it if you are careful. Make sure everyone invited knows that they have to stay home if they are sick and cannot hold your LO and they can only touch feet (or whatever you are comfortable with). Put lots of hand sanitizer around for people to use. Another great way to minimize touch is to babywear-get a moby or other carrier that cuts down on how much of baby is exposed.

I agree with lemen though, don't fly--too many germs in close contact. Also, if your LO has a lot of respiratory problems that may be reason to rethink your decision. Ultimately, go with your gut. If having the party will be more stress than fun then don't do it. 

Good luck!

• Options
    imagelemen99:

The shower is in Indiana?  usually RSV season in Indiana (where I live) doesn't start until November.  Did she have a lot of respiratory issues at birth? 

I think if you are strict about telling people not to come with sniffles, everyone has to wash their hands, no kids, and don't pass the baby around, it's probably OK.

I would not put that baby on a plane though.

Ditto.

• Options
    Our Nicu told us not to take out our 33 weeker for 3 months. We stuck to this advice very closely only going out for doctors appointments.  It probaby depends some on the baby though.
  • Options

imageangie637:
    Our Nicu told us not to take out our 33 weeker for 3 months. We stuck to this advice very closely only going out for doctors appointments.  It probaby depends some on the baby though.

same here, i think the head of the NICU's exact wording was " if I could place all preemies in a plastic bubble for cold and flu season I would" we kept everyone away until he finished the RSV shots, some didn't like it but i just told them that when they had their preemie they could do what they wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"