High-Risk Pregnancy

cervical length question

At my 24 wk appt I was put on strict bedrest for a shortened cervix (2.2 cm) and a + ffn.  Last week I went back to recheck my cervical length and it was 3.4 cm.  My doctor is having me do modified bedrest this week and then we are repeating the ffn and cervical length measurement this thursday.  He said he was quite surprised at the 3.4 length because the cervix can't really grow in length it was probably just certain factors like the baby putting pressure on it or a full bladder.  Anyway he said if the tests this week look good then we could discuss going back to work.  Should I be worried about going back to work?  I'm a nurse and when I work I'm in charge of two different floors and have to go between both floors throughout the night.  On avg.  I usually walk atleast 7-8 miles/night.  I've noticed a lot of people's measurement's on here fluctuate so I'm worried that as soon as I start to work again the measure is going to drop. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: cervical length question

• Personally I would not go back to work and risk it. My cervix has been shortning and growing since 16 weeks. I would just continue with bed rest even though it sucks and get checked weekley. GL
  • Mine was dynamic.  I have a very phsyical job like you do.  Even though mine lengthened on bedrest to above 2.5 in the later 20 weeks, my peri knew if I went back to work it would shorten again.  And over time it shortened again on its own while on bedrest. 

So I did not go back to work.  Only you know what is right for you!

I was out from 23 weeks to 36 weeks.  I never ever regret it.  It lengthened my residency but was worth it a million times over to get to 36 weeks.

Good luck. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Your doctor will recommend what he thinks is ok... it's up to you to decide what is BEST for you and your baby!!  

At 18 weeks, my cervical scan showed that my cervix was nice a long.  The OB told me I was at low risk for delivering early due to cervical reasons, however,  At 27 weeks, it was not even measurable.  I was on strict hospital bed rest for nearly 2 weeks before delivering my little girl at 28 weeks, 6 days.   

If you choose to go back to work (if given the all clear), I would go back on reduced hours.  Your cervix is dynamic and ever changing.  

Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • It sounds like your cervix is dynamic.  Mine is/was too and went from short (2.5cm, funneled to 1cm functional) to long (3.75cm and unfunneled) and back again in a weeks time and then it started to dilate and had an emergency cerclage to save our babies.  I wouldn't put your faith in a dynamic cervix, they are very unpredictable, and bedrest can help keep them stable.  Best of luck!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"