North Carolina Babies

Speaking of breast pumps...

What did you do with yours when you stopped using it and don't have any plans for any more babies?

I guess I could sell it but it's four years old at this point and has been used for two kids. I'm sure the motor isn't that great anymore.

Toss it??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Speaking of breast pumps...

• That's why I was curious if anyone had bought any used ones. This is my first so I don't know the etiquette if that's nasty or not :)
  • Good question.  I think I'm going to put mine on CL.  It has only been used for 11 months though so while it is used I don't think it is done.

I'd feel bad trashing it if someone else wanted to buy it you know?

• Loading the player...
  • imageECUPirate04:

Good question.  I think I'm going to put mine on CL.  It has only been used for 11 months though so while it is used I don't think it is done.

I don't want to spend $300 on a breast pump that is why I was possibly looking into a used one.

• imageLawren:
    imageECUPirate04:

Good question.  I think I'm going to put mine on CL.  It has only been used for 11 months though so while it is used I don't think it is done.

I don't want to spend $300 on a breast pump that is why I was possibly looking into a used one.

I didn't either however when it came down to it I decided to go new.  We even had someone give us a used pump but I never used it. 

Have you had all your showers?  I ended up waiting for a BRU sale on pumps so it was 15% off then I used a gc and paid the rest.  I ended up payin around $200 after all that I think.

• imageECUPirate04:
    imageLawren:
    imageECUPirate04:

I haven't had any showers yet, but I doubt anyone would actually spend that much money on one. I also wanted to wait to see if I produced enough milk to pump.

I didn't either however when it came down to it I decided to go new.  We even had someone give us a used pump but I never used it. 

Have you had all your showers?  I ended up waiting for a BRU sale on pumps so it was 15% off then I used a gc and paid the rest.  I ended up payin around $200 after all that I think.

I bolded my reply, I messed up :)

• imageLawren:
    imageECUPirate04:
    imageLawren:
    imageECUPirate04:

I haven't had any showers yet, but I doubt anyone would actually spend that much money on one. I also wanted to wait to see if I produced enough milk to pump.

No one bought ours either but I got a GC or 2 and put them towards it.  There are some ladies who had used ones I think but at the end of the day it wasn't for me because I knew I'd be using it 2+ times/day for a year.

• imageSalisburyBride:

What did you do with yours when you stopped using it and don't have any plans for any more babies?

I guess I could sell it but it's four years old at this point and has been used for two kids. I'm sure the motor isn't that great anymore.

Toss it??

I'm sure someone would buy it, or you could post it for free on CL. I would be sure to disclose how long you've used it.  

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I probably wouldn't use a used pump, but I don't think it's nasty that other people do.  Especially if you know the original owner, and it hadn't been used that much.  An over-used pump can actually hurt your supply, so keep that in mind if you do decide to get a used one.  I'm not sure what would qualify as over-used though.

I'll probably put mine on CL for cheap when I'm done with it.  I only used it for a month with Eli (I used a hospital pump for the first month and switched to formula at 2 months).  I have no idea how much I'll use it in the end with Amelia, but even if we make it a year and I'm pumping every day at work, it will still probably be in pretty good shape since I barely used it with Eli.  I'm sure someone out there would be glad to have it and the motor would work great through another baby.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was wondering the same thing for when I'm finished with mine.  I thought I would call around and see if I could donate it to a charity.  There was one where I just moved from that housed single moms and I'm sure they would have taken it.  I hope I can find somewhere that would.  Pumps are expensive and I don't want the cost to scare someone from BFing.  If I couldn't find anywhere to donate it, I might just list it on CL for free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I sold mine on Craigslist.  It was only used about a month with DD1 and about once a day for 8 months with DD2.  I sold it with a bunch of Medela bottles and a hands free pumping bra...for $100 it was a good deal for someone.  Never heard anything back so I'm assuming it was fine for her. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Most of the pumps are open systems, which is the one thing that is making me shy away from buying used, unless it's from someone I know. Without disassembling the entire thing, it's difficult to clean inside the motor if there's been a milk backup. I'd only by used from someone I know and trust that that didn't happen... but that's just me.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • imageuncharch7:
    Most of the pumps are open systems, which is the one thing that is making me shy away from buying used, unless it's from someone I know. Without disassembling the entire thing, it's difficult to clean inside the motor if there's been a milk backup. I'd only by used from someone I know and trust that that didn't happen... but that's just me.

I agree with you except I will say I truly have no idea how milk would actually get inside the pump.  "They" do say it happens but DH and I have talked about it numerous times.  The milk never enters the pump so this is unlikely IMO.

• imageECUPirate04:

imageuncharch7:
    Most of the pumps are open systems, which is the one thing that is making me shy away from buying used, unless it's from someone I know. Without disassembling the entire thing, it's difficult to clean inside the motor if there's been a milk backup. I'd only by used from someone I know and trust that that didn't happen... but that's just me.

I agree with you except I will say I truly have no idea how milk would actually get inside the pump.  "They" do say it happens but DH and I have talked about it numerous times.  The milk never enters the pump so this is unlikely IMO.

It happened to me. The white membrane stuck to the valve and the milk backed up through the tubes, directly into the pump.   

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • imagebecki777:
    imageECUPirate04:

imageuncharch7:

It happened to me. The white membrane stuck to the valve and the milk backed up through the tubes, directly into the pump.   

Ahhh that makes sense.  I guess I just got lucky it never happened to me.  This makes me less confused about how it could happen at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"