Preemies
Options

HELLP and 2nd baby

I posted on high risk also..

anyone have HELLP w/ first baby, and went on to have a 2nd? Did you have HELLP again? did you have a preemie? Did you see a high risk dr the whole pregnancy?
I was told to consult a high risk dr prior to conceiving.

I am not close to wanting to conceive yet, but my husband is against a 2nd, cause he is terrified that i will have HELLP again...so, he won't discuss a 2nd right now...and i know i so want a 2nd..but, am a little scared as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.

Re: HELLP and 2nd baby

• Options
    I had HELLP with DS, he was born at 33 weeks. I talked with a few different doctors about the possibility of having another. The chance of developing it again are much higher than normal for me, I have lupus. I had an extreme case of HELLP.

My doctors have told me though that the longer I wait to have another, the lower the chance is of developing it again. I would have to see a high risk doctor and be monitored very closely.

I have heard many success stories of women having healthy full term pregnancies after HELLP. It is definitely possible.

Personally, I want another baby. DH is weary, he does not want to risk it. (I think if doctors know what to look for, it will not get that bad again) The preemie experience was the scariest thing I have ever faced. The possibility of it happening again makes me not want to even bother. So I am also undecided, so I dont think I am of much help to you.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Hi. I had HELLP as well.  My baby boy is only 5.5 months old, but I'd also like to have another child.

Statistics show that most women who have HELLP do not have it again, but pre-ecclampsia is about a 20% possibility? It's usually less severe and later the second time around, mostly because you are monitored so carefully, or so I'm given to understand. 

"Patients who have had HELLP syndrome should be counseled that they have a 19 to 27 percent risk of developing the syndrome in subsequent pregnancies.28 "  from American Family Physician

https://www.aafp.org/afp/990901ap/829.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"